Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
DcNdrew

Storage for big blocks

36 posts in this topic

One year ago I suggested a pile for logs and playing with TFC again I found something weird. In Minecraft when you shovel up about 1 cubic meter sand or dirt or anything, it's magically pops up to your hand. That's okay, those are the rules. So it's okay to store them in any inventory. But seriously, you can't store logs in chests, but you can store 9*32 m3 cobblestone in a large vessel. Why?

I think you could make from stone and/or dirt a place where you could put down these blocks. Just like ingots. It's not just more believable, but this kind of storages would be looking cool. Charcoal piles, wood piles, cobblestone and dirt piles next to each other under the sun or a manually builded roof. Building and big amount of materials shouldn't be stored in vessels neither in chests I say.

I could agree with you, but I think one of the main benefits of fitting cobble and dirt in vessels is for transport. When you have to travel 10000 blocks looking for a specific stone, you need some way to transport that back to your base.

When we go out exploring we need so many things in our inventory that there is no much room for anything else. being able to use a barrel with clay vessels inside is the way to carry more inventory.

I agree that we could have different solutions for the issue, but just creating a new cobble pile is not the solution. We also would need a new way to transport those goods.

Donkeys for transport?

Just thinking out loud here. What if cobble/dirt blocks would no longer stack in your inventory? So each block would take up 1 space in your inventory. Along comes a donkey with storage that allows you to stack cobble/dirt making it a viable mode of transport for such goods.

Posted Image

Edited by InsaneJ

I would love to have more transport options, like the wheel barrel, the horse and ox wagon. But do you really want to have a system where after going down a mine shaft you can only bring up around 20 blocks? remember  your inventory is only 36 slots, minus all the tools and food and water and torches and ladders, co I would say 20  free slots for blocks. 

It would be an entirely new game. It could be interessant, and it would bring new challenges to the mod.

If you want to go all out and increase difficulty and believability then using beasts of burden seems to fit the TFC theme. And that means using a different approach to mining because you will probably want to take those animals down with you to carry all of your stuff.

The most important question though is: would it be fun to play this way? I think more experienced TFC players (than me) should answer this.

I think it would be better like this, and realy, if you want to use some rare stone type that only occurs far away for your home/castle, it should be some work to go and get it. The avalible building materials should do unless you are willing to put in the time and effort to go get rare ones. Personaly, I would limit inventory much more, but that's just me.

I would make it so you can only carry 2 things at a time first, but put virtualy anything on the ground for quick storage. After crafting a backpack and toolbelt, inventory should be able to increase to about what it is now, though I would still have much more strict weight limits.

I think it would be better like this, and realy, if you want to use some rare stone type that only occurs far away for your home/castle, it should be some work to go and get it. The avalible building materials should do unless you are willing to put in the time and effort to go get rare ones. Personaly, I would limit inventory much more, but that's just me.

I would make it so you can only carry 2 things at a time first, but put virtualy anything on the ground for quick storage. After crafting a backpack and toolbelt, inventory should be able to increase to about what it is now, though I would still have much more strict weight limits.

Add-on... Every time I see something where a small group of people might enjoy it while others would not that's all I think about. I don't want this, if you want it fine. You could probably get some of this effect if you were to change the size tags from light & tiny to Huge & Heavy.

You likely could run that mod that limits inventory slots with TFC and have it linked to specific achievements. Not sure how any of the mods which add encumbrances play nice with TFC, but would be worth a try if that is what you would like. As for the storage of the rocks/stone/dirt. I'd like the piles just for acetic sake. Right now I have just pseudo piles in my storage area just to make it interesting looking. I'm not for anything that makes it so you have to go through crazy hoops just to hold material to build anything with.

So you saying there is a mod that allows me to link something to an achievement?

Pretty sure the progression mod can do that. I'm not sure how it interfaces with the blocked inventory slots though. If I find time I'll do a little poking about.

Block moving: wood rails, wood carts. Those are the easiest to make in Minecraft.

I like the idea of using livestock-drawn carts and minecarts to move heavy/large numbers of items. If more transportation methods are ever made available, they could make limited player inventories a config option.

The transport suggestion has been made elsewhere. Please keep suggestion threads to one suggestion.

Overall some inventory suggestions could add to the game, but maybe not to many restrictions, people still need to play... Definetly not 2 slots to start out with, maybe make vessels not be able to hold items, only ores? The piles sound ok, maybe you just have to find a solution on your own. I.e. placing the blocks in a pile to keep it somewhere, Good ideas though! (the block pile would look nice)

What about being able to create bigger log piles? As in outline a 2x2x2 or 3x3x3 and it would become a multipart structure? The inventory could be like the inventory of a chest, but only being able to store logs. This would also be beneficial because it would help standard charcoal pit making very easy since the basic log pile for charcoal is a 3x3x3. I believe multi-block log piles would also be easier because you would not have to access the individual inventories, so you could store many types of wood and be able to easily access them. There should be limits to this, possibly a 4x4x4 Max because we want to avoid big huge spaces of inventories in TFC.

When I'll have the motivation I'll write an addon for this. I don't know yet anything about MC modding, but in my earlier days I made some scripts, small softwares, so... damn you Assassins Creed, XCOM and your friends, leave me be! I need time for coding! Bah! :D

Edited by DcNdrew

Cool thread!If there are going limitations to inventory, say, tied to weight and size of items, I would perhaps suggest the following to keep building things as non-tedious as possible while maintaining believability and the interesting gameplay aspects of having to negotiate the logistics of moving heavy stuff:

Allow stacks of "big blocks" to be accessible from nearby storage piles (i.e. log piles) within some distance that can be configured in the config file for the purposes of placement for building as well as re-storage.  There would need to be some intuitive interface for this that isn't open to exploit... I haven't thought too hard about this yet... but maybe a separate tab in the inventory screen that shows whatever is nearby and accessible in storage piles.  From there, you could put the stack of whatever is in the storage pile into your hotbar or own inventory and that stack would be treated as a special case where it doesn't add to your encumberance, but will disappear from your inventory if you travel out of range of the storage pile.  While this storage-pile-linked-stack is in your inventory, it doesn't disappear from the storage pile's inventory, but gets used up as if it was in your own inventory as you place blocks.

For example, say there exists an equivalent to log piles but for cobblestone and say there exists some sort of weight-based inventory limitation that makes transporting more than a few cobblestone blocks at a time on your own impossible.  Let's also say there exists the ability to use carts and wheelbarrows or something to transport larger amounts more easily.  You make cobblestone, transport, and place it in a cobblestone storage pile near a site where you want to build something.  In the config file, you have it set so that you can access the cobblestone pile within 75 meters of distance.  Whatever stack of building material that is stored in the storage pile within range can be put in the hand and used to build with.  If one goes too far away, perhaps the stack would disappear from your inventory automatically if it is of something too big to fit in your own inventory.What do you think?  I think this is something that makes the OP's suggestion combined with some of the others here non-tedious!

Edited by Andeerz

/this/ should do. Limited inventory, stockpiles of goods, and heavy transport all-in-one solution. Bravo.

Also, with regard to cobblestone and maybe even brick blocks, perhaps it might make more sense to have those stored in storage piles of stones and bricks respectively instead of completed blocks.  When using these storage piles, it would consume stone and brick 4 at a time (as well as mortar from your inventory or another storage pile in the case of bricks) like the recipes in the crafting grid call for and place the cobblestone or brick block.  With the latter, this might not be as intuitive as the current crafting grid way of making the blocks.

Oh!  And I realized something... to remove a possible exploit with my idea, I would make storage piles only accessible if they are within "line-of-sight" (by this, I don't mean you have to be facing it.  I mean that there needs to be a clear, uninterrupted path (straight for the sake of simplicity and lag) between you and the storage pile)... so no ability to have a storage pile completely covered in a hidden chamber and being able to access it even though you might be within range.

Edited by Andeerz

I don't know how exactly Minecraft works, but in my opinion searching for near stockpiles is more laggy than it needs to be: most of the time it doesn't even needed.

Hm, I think the storage pile need to be interacted with a special tool to let the player connect to the pile. Better than visibility check. Maybe make incentive for better tool = more max connected pile.

I disagree.  This needs to be as intuitive as possible to the point where people can find this out without having had ever read the wiki, watched a let's play, or anything.  A tool to access a pile makes no sense to me.How about this instead, which might address your concern as well as the concern of DcNDrew (this would not require pathfinding or line-of-sight calculations): you must contact the pile first and put the linked stacks from the pile into your inventory and can go anywhere within range of the pile, regardless of line-of-sight.  Or perhaps this plus line-of-sight requirement... I think the former is simpler and easier to implement.  So, you need to essentially "equip" yourself at a pile and then go to where you want to place blocks.  This would abstract out the tedium of needing to go back and forth to a storage pile while keeping the logistical challenge of transporting large amounts of heavy things over larger distances introduced by inventory limits.  All while maintaining believability, immersion, and intuitiveness!In order to highlight what stacks in the inventory are linked to a pile, perhaps a highlighted border could be placed around the slots containing those linked stacks.What do you think, guys?

Also... perhaps the inverse of this could be used for when picking heavy things up.  If there is an appropriate stockpile within range of the player, perhaps stuff picked up of the stockpile type can be put into that stockpile, which virtually maintains the status quo of how things operate when mining, while, again, abstracting out the tedium of needing to go back and forth to a storage pile while keeping the logistical challenge of transporting large amounts of heavy things over larger distances introduced by inventory limits.

Edited by Andeerz

What I mean is that the tool is essentially used to transport goods from the pile to you without making you actually go there and pick it up. But, yeah, first you must have contact with the pile.

The inverse is much more imteresting. I imagined downing a sequoia and have joy over the piles it made. Hmm..

Maybe make it kinda like BlockPhysics so that stationary loose items would make a pile instead of despawning or after a set amount of time? So, like 3 minutes or so.

if this.v=<0.01 then   this.piletimer=+else this.piletimer=0if this.piletimer>config.piletimer then   createtileentity(pile,this.position)

Hmmmm... I like your idea.  But I also like the idea that you need to make the pile yourself.  I can't imagine a freshly felled tree forming its own neat log piles on its own.  What I would envision is something like this: Say you chop down a tree, take a single or a few logs from the ground and make a pile or a few piles and then as you pick up more logs around the area (like within 25 meters or something) they add to those piles.

Also, DcNDrew, what do you think of all of this?  :)

Edited by Andeerz

Autopiling: no of course. Unbelievable.

Andeerz: No need to reach piles from distance.

First: unbelievable. How do you make it? With x meters long arms? :D

Second: As I said wooden rails and wooden carts will work perfectly. And so when you start to build something you'll have to plan and build scaffolding to reach higher places.

Third: (this is my personal need) more cooperation.