Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
DcNdrew

Storage for big blocks

36 posts in this topic

Autopiling: no of course. Unbelievable.

Andeerz: No need to reach piles from distance.

First: unbelievable. How do you make it? With x meters long arms? :D

Second: As I said wooden rails and wooden carts will work perfectly. And so when you start to build something you'll have to plan and build scaffolding to reach higher places.

Third: (this is my personal need) more cooperation.

I like the way you think.

The problem with limiting inventory is that we do not have alternative transport. So first we need to implement the wheel barrel, ( much more believable, then having the barrel in your back ), second the animal puled wagon, only after that we can have the inventory tweaked.

Auto filling and using stock piles of cobble are too unbelievable to be part of this game.

Eh, my idea, dismissed. Okay.

I'd better make pulleys(or what? block and tackle?) to lift piles up a floor for building instead of making a cart. I never see some building that uses carts to move stuff, RL nor fiction. How did you get that idea, anyway?

Eh, my idea, dismissed. Okay.I'd better make pulleys(or what? block and tackle?) to lift piles up a floor for building instead of making a cart. I never see some building that uses carts to move stuff, RL nor fiction. How did you get that idea, anyway?

Remember: TFC is about making Minecraft more believable. Minecraft's most neglected, but still great transporting way is the minecart. Lifts are okay but in my mind carts are the easiest to implement, they need some recolored textures, nerfed speed and inventory.If that's cheap and you must use alternate transporting system instead of your magical huge pockets, you'll build tracks. Well, you've already built some tracks, why wouldn't you built it more to your construction site? Even up to the top?

Understood. My suggestion was borne out of the concern that if the inventory restrictions are relatively severe (for example, one could only carry realistic amounts of materials, or even ten or a hundred times that which is still orders of magnitude less than what we can carry in tfc now) even with awesome transport options, then I foresee building stuff would become much too tedious since one would have to physically go back and forth between wherever big blocks are stored and where you want to place the blocks. Do you guys see this as a problem like i do? If so, how would you suggest addressing it?

Edited by Andeerz

I think that the current inventory size isn't a problem, like what Djakuta said we need more transportation first. However what we could do is offer incentives that encourage players not to stuff their inventories with loads of heavy items. Such as causing players to need more food and water due to the shear about of weight they are carrying, and maybe even debuffing their walking/running speed. Not to the extreme as with barrels but just enough to be noticed and of course these things could scale with the weight of the items.

Understood. My suggestion was borne out of the concern that if the inventory restrictions are relatively severe (for example, one could only carry realistic amounts of materials, or even ten or a hundred times that which is still orders of magnitude less than what we can carry in tfc now) even with awesome transport options, then I foresee building stuff would become much too tedious since one would have to physically go back and forth between wherever big blocks are stored and where you want to place the blocks. Do you guys see this as a problem like i do? If so, how would you suggest addressing it?

So you'll must to use better logistics, make small piles on the building, make a horse-train and so.

No need for too much repeating if you planned it well.

Eh, the builders that is renovating my neighbour's next door throw bricks and roof tiles up to their friends. I suppose that could work, too.

So you'll must to use better logistics, make small piles on the building, make a horse-train and so.

No need for too much repeating if you planned it well.

That sounds good provided the balance is such that the amount of big blocks you can carry without help makes it not tedious.  I need to think about this more...For example, let's assume there is a weight based inventory limitation system.  And say the weight of big blocks like stone bricks or cobblestone are set such that you can only carry a single stack's worth (32) of these big blocks without help.  Is it acceptable that even with storage piles of these blocks very near by, during the course of building something like a house, after exhausting those 32 blocks, you would have to go back to a pile to put more in your inventory and repeat the process possibly many times?  With those kinds of settings maybe this wouldn't be too tedious.But if the limitations are any more strict than that, I don't know if this would be acceptable, would it?  Just trying to play devil's advocate here.  And I think in that case a suggestion like mine might be most prudent.In any case, just as others have said, the absolute first thing that needs to happen before this can be considered is getting transport options (carts, wheelbarrows, etc.) implemented somehow in the first place (either through an add-on, or in TFC proper), and then having storage piles for big blocks (again, as an add-on or official feature).  Then people can play around with the idea and see what kind of balance is possible and what the gameplay might feel like.  :)  Then again, maybe people can already play around with the idea by playing with self-imposed restrictions, and recording an experiment to demonstrate how gameplay would be to the devs.

Edited by Andeerz

Okay. When do you start to use bricks, stones and cobblestones? When you can mine them, right? When you have copper. So you may have saw too. Well, it's ready to make wooden carts, and you're ready to move stones. Even with limitations.

And the storage doesn't need any limitations before. Because it's decoration in some place and more believable than hundreds cubic meters of dirt in a barrel.

Yeah.  I completely agree with your last statement, DcNdrew.Also, I tried playing around with limiting myself to just being able to carry a single stack of 16 blocks for the purposes of building stuff, and really, it didn't really make constructing buildings much harder or tedious so long as I kept whatever I stored the blocks in close by.  I think even if I limited myself to half of that, it wouldn't have been bad.  So, my concerns about storage piles existing with inventory limitations would not be a big deal.  However, what quickly became obvious to me gameplay-wise was that IF there were to be strict inventory limitations, in the absence of multiple people helping you out carts would DEFINITELY be needed for any construction task to happen efficiently, and I think building any building would take at least twice as long since storage piles would need to be placed beforehand as part of preparing a construction area and since there would be frequent trips to and from these piles.  I will emphasize, though, that it at least wasn't any more of a tedious experience.

Edited by Andeerz

If someone wanted an idea on how it might look like...

A thing that I crave for is visual stockpile, like the one in Stronghold series. This is what lumber storage should look like. Dem stacks of lumber! Also shown: apples and a stick.

Posted Image

However, this selfquote was about small items storage, which is a part of a bigger idea, No Chest. I can make more models that resembles piles if y'all want some.