Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
EternalUndeath

Go to hell

277 posts in this topic

So... The Nether.

I don't know if bioxx intends to totally scrap the extra world or what, but if he doesn't, how are we gonna handle this? It's no more fantastical than undead roaming the moonlit valleys, or arachnids the size of a fully grown man crawling through the depths waiting for you to wander by.

Plenty of cultures have believed that hell is a real, physical place, that can be accessed from our 'real' plane of existence. The most prevalent myths of living humans going to hell are from the greeks, who thought that passages to the underworld were all over - usually underground or in mountains.

I propose keeping nether portals, but not making them craftable anymore. Instead, underground passages with certain maximum dimensions have a random, tiny chance of filling a 1-block wide vertical cross-section with nether portal blocks. The swirly purple ones, obviously.

That way, you could be caving and suddenly hear the distinctive sounds of hell pouring through the rock - digging down a bit into a cramped passage slightly below you, you discover a small crevasse where an otherwise inconsequential dead-end is filled with purple swirly nastiness. It would be a discovery similar to finding a rare ore vein, almost.

So, thoughts?

I'm not sure what I think about the nether, but if it comes back, this is how I want to see it.

Maybe we could get our enchantment catalysts in the nether. Along with other magical items. This way we can toggle nether structure generation on world creation and chose to live in a magic free world.

Maybe we could get our enchantment catalysts in the nether. Along with other magical items. This way we can toggle nether structure generation on world creation and chose to live in a magic free world.

Hmmm... not a bad idea

maybe require the enchanting block to contain blaze rods or netherrack or some such thing?

Hmmm... not a bad idea

maybe require the enchanting block to contain blaze rods or netherrack or some such thing?

I was thinking more along the lines of obtaining something in the nether that would change the gems from mundane to magical. Or maybe simply using jewelled tools in the nether would gradually have them become magical. In this case grade would affect how quickly this transformation occurs.

Though, more on the nether, I think that place should be loaded with crazy awesome stuff, you don't normally see in fantasy settings. Like pools of liquid mercury. People, alchemists specifically, used to think that stuff was magical.

Also upside-down Escher painting stairs.

Maybe fantasy metals, like mithril, another metal that combines with bronze to make orichalcum and possibly adamant, and things along those lines. If we're going to hell, we are going all out. Lovecraftian even.

edit: Oops, edited mid-reply.

I was thinking more along the lines of obtaining something in the nether that would change the gems from mundane to magical. Or maybe simply using jewelled tools in the nether would gradually have them become magical. In this case grade would affect how quickly this transformation occurs.

Though, more on the nether, I think that place should be loaded with crazy awesome stuff, you don't normally see in fantasy settings. Like pools of liquid mercury. People, alchemists specifically, used to think that stuff was magical.

Maybe fantasy metals, like mithril, another metal that combines with bronze to make orichalcum and possibly adamant, and things along those lines. If we're going to hell, we are going all out.

Buddy... I like the way you think.

Me too. How about a couple ores in the nether: mithriline, adamantite, and one other (cant think of now, not for metal making) the third one would be craftable into a small throwable explosive. The other two could be made into metal and tools etc. mithril needs to be worked on a steel anvil, adamant on black steel. Mithril~= bronze with much higher enchant ability. Adamant~=steel with higher enchant ability. However, if inventory weight ever gets implemented, adamant would was next to nothing. Mithril and silver metallurgied together gives true silver. Adamant and platinum makes something else. Those two together give another unnamed so far metal that is second only to blue/red steel but high enchant ability. And also...

balrogs. Definitely.

Seems like a good idea but i would like bioxx to add and change stuff because expet nether warts,few more mobs and nether dungeons there is nothing there same with The End, both of those place are boring and useless...

Me too. How about a couple ores in the nether: mithriline, adamantite, and one other (cant think of now, not for metal making) the third one would be craftable into a small throwable explosive. The other two could be made into metal and tools etc. mithril needs to be worked on a steel anvil, adamant on black steel. Mithril~= bronze with much higher enchant ability. Adamant~=steel with higher enchant ability. However, if inventory weight ever gets implemented, adamant would was next to nothing. Mithril and silver metallurgied together gives true silver. Adamant and platinum makes something else. Those two together give another unnamed so far metal that is second only to blue/red steel but high enchant ability. And also...

balrogs. Definitely.

by any chance do you mean sulpher?

by any chance do you mean sulpher?

...Does he mean sulpher for what? There's like 20-something nouns in his post, which one did you think he meant sulpher for?

...Does he mean sulpher for what? There's like 20-something nouns in his post, which one did you think he meant sulpher for?

Me too. How about a couple ores in the nether: mithriline, adamantite, and one other (cant think of now, not for metal making) the third one would be craftable into a small throwable explosive.

For that part...

For that part...

Ah. well seeing as we already have both sulpher and saltpeter in the overworld, I think he may mean something more direct. Sulpher has to be mixed with other stuff to explode, I think he wants to mine already-explosive materials.

say, saltpeter... we should be able to cook that with sugar to get smoke bombs <3

Ok in a book that I read (fantasy novel ik I'm lame) there was a special material called orantium. They put in a glass ball and when they threw it it exploded. I don't know if this is a myth(fantasies frequently steal irl myths(im looking at you tolkien(lol nested parentheses))) or he made it up but something like that.

Sounds like nitroglycerine. That could be added to the chemistry thread perhaps.

You could do a quick Google search to see whether or not it's fictional.

It appears to be totally fictional(not even mythical like adamant). Oh well now you know what I meant.

So ok. Mining (I'm just going to call it it orantium) orantium would give you the orantium. Idk of you have to process it but by using the glassworks you could put it in a glass sphere. Easy throwable mining explosive.

+1 for the idea....and the topic name made me think you were pissed at someone lol

Definitely like these ideas but we need more reasons to go to hell. First off in order to make for easier nether expansion I think nether biomes are needed. If we are doing the gem enchant system (look at the enchantment system thread either suggestion would work) maybe rare gems could be found here. A brewing expansion (mercury in brewing would be awesome) would also be great. That fancy tree someone suggested could be here too. And what about a fruit tree called blood oranges.

Biomes in the nether sounds like a VERY interesting idea. As it stands now, nether isn't on the slate for modding but I would love to see a reason to go to the nether. I have a few ideas myself but I'm going to just keep them to myself until Bioxx decides whether or not he's going to do the nether.

But back to the idea, biomes: some areas could be the vanilla maroon colored dirt and soul sand. What about a biome that has a more ethereal feel/appearance where the dirt is more of an off-teal or cyan color, maybe weird floating jellyfish mobs (built off the ghast mob). :) Dunno about blood oranges, those are real fruit that heh (in fact, they were selling them at the grocery store the other day).

Definitely like these ideas but we need more reasons to go to hell. First off in order to make for easier nether expansion I think nether biomes are needed. If we are doing the gem enchant system (look at the enchantment system thread either suggestion would work) maybe rare gems could be found here. A brewing expansion (mercury in brewing would be awesome) would also be great. That fancy tree someone suggested could be here too. And what about a fruit tree called blood oranges.

Well, related to that thread, maybe Bioxx could make it so, if you never entered the nether, you have no legal way to enchant -or do any mid-game thing actually-. I was actually about to say something about a new, nether-requiring crafting recipe for the enchantment table, but then i realized that, in that way, users would only need to go in the nether until they got the materials for what they need, and then can completely forget about the nether existence. Then, we should find a way to make it so users DO NEED to continuosly go to the nether if they want these mid-game system to work -or, at least, to work completely and in a efficient way-.

Personally, i never liked the potions thing in MC, and i don't really consider it reason enaff to go down to hell -literally- after materials...

Then, we should find a way to make it so users DO NEED to continuosly go to the nether if they want these mid-game system to work -or, at least, to work completely and in a efficient way.

Going to bring up that one idea I had about gems being mundane and gradually becoming magical by way of nether exposure again. From an in-universe perspective, the gemstones would change into something ethereal due to exposure to Hell's crazy Hell energies.

...Expanding on that in terms of gameplay, gems would basically have a timer attached to them and once it ran out, they would have magical properties. In order to prevent players from simply standing still in a safe-zone, it could be made so that unless some nether mobs are slain the timer won't tick and the gems won't metamorphose.

So say a chipped gem would take two hours of nether exploration. (Not sure if continuous...) If you kill a zombie pigman, or a magma cube, the timer will begin to tick for a XXX seconds before stopping again. Ghasts, being harder, would tick the gems for longer. None of this time would stack. (Except maybe if it's from a different kind of mob, to reward actually moving around?) It's effectively similar to grinding exp, only more atmospheric, and less mob-grinder friendly. You could still grind it in a grinder, but it would be more more time efficient to use your time doing other things.

Or not.

Ok in a book that I read (fantasy novel ik I'm lame) there was a special material called orantium. They put in a glass ball and when they threw it it exploded. I don't know if this is a myth(fantasies frequently steal irl myths(im looking at you tolkien(lol nested parentheses))) or he made it up but something like that.

lol perl

+1 for the idea....and the topic name made me think you were pissed at someone lol

that was the point X3

Interestingly enough, the dragonsblood tree could do very well in a hell-like environment. They tend to favor arid climates and rocky soil, and do well in heat and high altitudes. And I guess the middle east is KINDA like hell, so... that actually sounds like a halfway decent idea lol

To Lumireaver: sounds similar to experience system already. Two ideas there either there could be two types of experience overworld and nether experience or spending time in the nether would give you experience.

How about the gems needed for highish level enchants are only found in the nether. Also I think the nether should have an open sky instead of a roof. ( I am thinking the nether less like hell and more like a fiery wasteland. Plus of course, balrogs. I probably said that already but I don't care. I'll say it again. Balrogs. And again. Balrogs. There. Get the BALROGS drift BAAAALROOOGSSSSS!!!!!!!

EDIT: lol