Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
EternalUndeath

Go to hell

277 posts in this topic

To Lumireaver: sounds similar to experience system already. Two ideas there either there could be two types of experience overworld and nether experience or spending time in the nether would give you experience.

That was my intention. I don't like the current experience mechanic because it can be easily farmed. With what I suggested you would not only need to spend time in a dangerous place, you would also need to do things while you're there.

I also don't like the experience mechanic because videogame experience points were (presumably) created to stand-in for the development of skills through practice. Something that couldn't be replicated with early game systems. TerraFirmaCraft in particular has no need to use the exp metaphor for experience. The player themselves develop experience, so Steve doesn't have to.

Thinking out loud.

I agree. I remember there was a suggestion about player mood a while back, that was ridiculed because it ruined the immersive feel of minecraft. I don't want to be controlling Steve, i want to BE Steve. I agree that experience doesn't really make sense. However, I think some kind of mana/magic used for enchanting(which is what experience is for anyway) could make sense-ish.

I agree. I remember there was a suggestion about player mood a while back, that was ridiculed because it ruined the immersive feel of minecraft. I don't want to be controlling Steve, i want to BE Steve. I agree that experience doesn't really make sense. However, I think some kind of mana/magic used for enchanting(which is what experience is for anyway) could make sense-ish.

+1

It was created as a way to force people out of peaceful mode mostly although that was flawed as experience is gained by killing peaceful mobs. If achievements gave experience that might be cool. Besides we need some kind of energy for enchanting.

It was created as a way to force people out of peaceful mode mostly although that was flawed as experience is gained by killing peaceful mobs. If achievements gave experience that might be cool. Besides we need some kind of energy for enchanting.

Do you really? There are always other ways to do things. Imagine chucking your gems into a fire pit, waiting until they're very hot, then chucking them into a spooky caustic pool of magical nether fluid, then racing to put them in a specially crafted box made out of nether materials that will enable them to absorb spooky energy from the elements. Place the gem-filled box at the bottom of a river, come back in a couple of days and the gem will have changed into an enchanted gem.

Do you really? There are always other ways to do things. Imagine chucking your gems into a fire pit, waiting until they're very hot, then chucking them into a spooky caustic pool of magical nether fluid, then racing to put them in a specially crafted box made out of nether materials that will enable them to absorb spooky energy from the elements. Place the gem-filled box at the bottom of a river, come back in a couple of days and the gem will have changed into an enchanted gem.

...Shit, and people think MY way was overcomplicated o_o

Side note, why can I not get into the part of the forum for bug reports? It asks me to sign in, and then says my pass is wrong. It's still under the terrafirmacraft.com domain, so my login should still work

I want to report that my tin propick is coming off MASSIVELY damaged when crafted. The head comes off the anvil just fine, maybe 90% full cuz I did botch it a bit, but then when I put it on top of a stick the bar drops into the fuckin red. What gives?

...Shit, and people think MY way was overcomplicated o_o

Side note, why can I not get into the part of the forum for bug reports? It asks me to sign in, and then says my pass is wrong. It's still under the terrafirmacraft.com domain, so my login should still work

I want to report that my tin propick is coming off MASSIVELY damaged when crafted. The head comes off the anvil just fine, maybe 90% full cuz I did botch it a bit, but then when I put it on top of a stick the bar drops into the fuckin red. What gives?

At least you won't have to spend years searching the forests for magic strange mushroom formations and odd crop circles. I thought that example was pretty simple by comparison considering I threw it together on seconds just to prove exp isn't anything but a creative crutch. As a matter of fact, you've inspired me to expand on it. :U

It also has the bonus of keeping the magical things in hell.

• Step one, collect a bunch of gems.
  • Step two, make it to hell.
  • Step three, in hell, locate a well of either liquid hell-mercury, or some other magic primordial ooze. May be guarded by mobs.
  • Step four, heat a single gem until it's very hot, then toss it into the liquid. Some bubbling occurs as the gem warps into something different.
  • Step five, retrieve the gem, prolonged exposure to the liquid is very toxic. (If you're a badass you'll try using a fishing rod/net.)
  • Step six, place the gem into a previously crafted special box, jar, or pot.
  • Step seven, place the gem near something you suspect might be a good thing to draw energy from.
  • Step eight, come back after a good, long while and your gem will now be magical.
I really don't like the last three steps in this set up, but that's mostly because I still haven't come up with good ideas for enchantments. They just don't mesh well with what we have so far in TerraFirmaCraft. That mindset is serving as a huge mental block.

Maybe just nix them entirely and make the gems gain enchantments based on what the tools they're affixed to do. So like, if a gem that has taken a hot bath in primordial ooze is attached a pickaxe, and that pickaxe mines through a lot of hard stones, the gem will 'learn' a durability enchantment. Softer stones would 'teach' it a speed enchantment, and so on. Mine a lot of smooth stone and it will gradually develop a silk touch-like ability. Gem grade could determine the number of possible tricks a gem could learn as well as how long it takes for the enchantments to sink in, and type would mostly be flavour unless anyone has a better idea.

...Now that, I like...

...you won't have to spend years searching the forests for...

...But you DON'T have to do that in my idea either. It was just for flavor. I said it like 8 times but somehow people are still having trouble getting this...

...But you DON'T have to do that in my idea either. It was just for flavor. I said it like 8 times but somehow people are still having trouble getting this...

Correct me if I'm wrong. Your posed alternative is to momentarily stop playing the game so you can open an internet browser and ask Google for the answer. It might just be that people don't want to experience that momentary disconnect.

Correct me if I'm wrong. Your posed alternative is to momentarily stop playing the game so you can open an internet browser and ask Google for the answer. It might just be that people don't want to experience that momentary disconnect.

...But that's exactly what everyone does for the tool plans anyway. We don't all have the magnificent space brain required to clairvoyantly guess all the right arbitrary ink blot placements for a saw blade, so most of us just turn to the wiki. There's really absolutely no difference.

I vote we argue about this on the correct thread. We are past 50 post lets see if we can make it to a hundred all relevant posts.

I vote we argue about this on the correct thread. We are past 50 post lets see if we can make it to a hundred all relevant posts.

here here, lol

...tho I wouldn't mind a bit of help with the bug reporting, still...

Another idea here would be that if you die in Minecraft, you respawn in a random location in "hell". In order to make it back, you have to find a portal or do some sort of task in hell in order to make it back out.

First to the tin propick thing. I was having the same thing. For me, before the bismuth bronze fix (remember bismuth bronze was equal to bismuth) my bismuth bronze propick head had 80% durability, but then the propick only had 40% (half of that) I guess maybe starter tools give half durability.

Next: cropcircles/faerie circles/mushrooms is a stupid idea unless they are mandatory in which case they are a different stupid idea. M y suggestion: nix the faerie circles (sorry eternal)

I don't really like the whole "learn the enchantment based on what you do" thing. I'm going to stick with what I said before that each gem has a class (fire, power, water, flight, etc. make some up) and each class would contain multiple enchants (i.e. fire would contain fire resistance, fire aspect, sharpness, autosmelting, and charcoalification, but sharpness would be shared by power, and charcoalification would be shared by "tree") get it? So when you do the whole primordial ooze, it changes from a plain flawed emerald into an enchanted flawed emerald (you would know by intuition or by wiki or by maybe it would show that emerald = tree). you would know emerald meant tree. The second step would be to put it near an energy source. Depending on the conditions of the energy source (and a little bit of luck) to get an enchanted flawed emerald *. the * means it has a specific enchant now. Affixing it to tools would tell you what kind of enchant it was. (silk touch can't be put on a chest plate, etc.) But still, a sword could be sharpness or fire aspect or dullness. You'd have to wait and see. So here is the enchant process from start to finish the way I see it.

1. find a gem

2.enter the nether/hell and find a puddle of magic ooze (the first enchanting step)

3. toss the gem in, and let it steep. (Perhaps higher arcane tech could let you transport the ooze to a place where you can manage it better)

4. Retrieve the gem to get a magic gem (i.e. your beryl would still be called "flawless beryl" but the tooltip would say: "speed")

5.Find some sort of power source (fairy circle, primordial ooze (worst cuz you have to have it already but sitll an option), nether ores, maybe if you couldn't find a power source it would still happen over time, just slowly) and leave it there in some sort of container

6. Retrieve the gem again to get an enchanted gem (again it would still say "flawless beryl" but the tooltip would say:"speed*")

7. Affix beryl to pickaxe (oops doesn't work try an axe. Still no try armor.)

8. success. But is it speed or slowness?

9. try it out and see

if the "power source" thing is too hard and complex, replace with an enchanting table where you spend the points formerly known as experience to enchant.

Anyway the grade of the gem would determine how strong, likely hood to get better enchants, and likelyhood to get negative enchantments.

Errr... guys, i think the most part of this page should be in the enchantment system post...

However, about how to make the nether so people need to go in there continuosly, and taking a look to the wheat domestication flow chart thread, let's do this: Although you can have some normal wheat without going to nether, the fertilizer can only be made of nether materials -and maybe, only in the nether-, so if you want any kind of cultured wheat, you willhave to go to the nether. Also, if the way of making fertilizer doesn't give much of it, anyone who wants to have great amounts of any cultured wheat will need to go back over and over and over again, in order to have enought fertilizer.

Errr... guys, i think the most part of this page should be in the enchantment system post...

However, about how to make the nether so people need to go in there continuosly, and taking a look to the wheat domestication flow chart thread, let's do this: Although you can have some normal wheat without going to nether, the fertilizer can only be made of nether materials -and maybe, only in the nether-, so if you want any kind of cultured wheat, you willhave to go to the nether. Also, if the way of making fertilizer doesn't give much of it, anyone who wants to have great amounts of any cultured wheat will need to go back over and over and over again, in order to have enought fertilizer.

lol imagine if there was a kind of wheat that could only grow in the nether?

ok i like that idea. How about sould sand for use in fertilizer

EDIT: the following is not a suggestion, it is just for teh lulz

orantium-based fertilizer

that's a GOOD idea :)

ok i like that idea. How about sould sand for use in fertilizer

EDIT: the following is not a suggestion, it is just for teh lulz

orantium-based fertilizer

that's a GOOD idea :)

I think any kind of wheat grown using orantium as fertilizer would be a little metallic for me...

http://www.funpostbox.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/Ba-dum-tsss.jpg *sorry, bad joke, not gonna happen ever again*

lol imagine if there was a kind of wheat that could only grow in the nether?

Actually, it's not a bad idea ._. if you take some cave wheat and plant it into the nether, it could, in a similar way wheat drops cultured wheat seeds, drop some nether wheat seeds... Of course, you should find a way to get ride of the "without water, they simply die" problem.

How about all crops when grown in the Nether mutate that would open a lot of possibilities

Eh, I'd like to see enchantments and the nether tied together really closely, but for the sake of organisation...

I'm not so sure the nether should be required for ordinary farming...but I do like the idea of hell-based adaptations just as a flavour thing.

It seems realistic to me that fertilizer should be available in the real world.

I mentioned on the wheat thread that instead of clear cut " species" you should be able to breed your own strains. So in order to grow nether wheat, you would have to breed a strain of wheat that didn't need water. The rest(special mutation etc.) is good.

Looking at what was said about terrain generation, IF Bioxx were to add the nether, aka "Hell", It should be a complete overhaul. Many culture believed hell was very deep, like the seven layers of hell, or tarturus. So maybe somme dynamic heights like hell with multiple levels to explore and more potent resources deeper you go could be a good idea?

Looking at what was said about terrain generation, IF Bioxx were to add the nether, aka "Hell", It should be a complete overhaul. Many culture believed hell was very deep, like the seven layers of hell, or tarturus. So maybe somme dynamic heights like hell with multiple levels to explore and more potent resources deeper you go could be a good idea?

A damn decent idea sir. +1

I like it but we still would need to add a ton of new resources *cough* *cough* catalysts *cough*