Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
MiaMia

Silly question - how would you store a door? ;)

13 posts in this topic

So, this is a really silly question, I know, but yesterday I spent five minutes thinking what to do with my spare door so as not to keep it indefinitely in my inventory.

In vanilla it's simple - you put it in a chest. TFC tries to be a bit more realistic, so we cannot store chests inside chests, barrels, big tools/weapons etc... Makes sense.

Barrels you just put on the ground. For tools and weapons you make a rack. But what to do with a spare door I might (will) want to use much later in the game?

Some would say - throw it away and let it despawn, it's just six planks. But maybe it's six planks of the kind of wood I have to travel halfway across the map to get (like kapok).

I ended up "sticking" it to the side of my house, but it looks silly there.

So, if anybody has some fun, aesthetically pleasing or otherwise unusual ideas about this silly little problem - please, share ;)

Fridge - put the door in front of stacked single chests, chisel a 'fridge' around it.

- Create a little fenced in paddock for it, and feed it daily to build up familiarity? :)

- Double door your house, back to back with the main door, so you have to open both to get through and call it a security feature

- Put it underwater; they make fine diving bells!

- Make a little broom cupboard

Roof access - put it beside your house. No need for ladders ;)

Item frames can be used to store any block or item that's too large to place in a chest, and you don't want to place on the ground.

Item frames can be used to store any block or item that's too large to place in a chest, and you don't want to place on the ground.

Wouldn't that be the silliest and the most undelievable thing?

She never mentioned believability, just that an item frame was an available method to store a door.

The use of believability by some people has become equivalent to realistic. Read the post and it is clear they mean believability in what TFC introduces or changes from vanilla. And they are more than willing to throw believability out the window for gameplay, performance or the fact it makes little difference in game balance. Not to mention when it is restriction of the MC engine.

Item frames are very useful and nice feature from vanilla. And they are a vanilla feature, not introduced by TFC. Sure the could remove them from game or make it so it simply copies the item render and doesn't really store, but why bother? Storing one single item in a block, no matter the item, is hardly game breaking.

You don't find item frames "believable" or "realistic"? Don't use them or use minetweaker to delete recipe. But I think this is more you trying to take a shot at Kitty. So please reread the blog post and understand nuisance.

I agree with transcengopher that item frames aren't particularly believable for storing doors, because magically making something smaller to store (visibly) would break immersion for me. Item frames make great signs, and it is believable to say the player has painted a door on a sign to indicate where they keep their doors, or that this is a carpentry shop. Even in vanilla item frames are mostly used as signs, they are only used as storage for unique items, most of which TFC's tool and armor racks would do a better job of storing.

It would be interesting if there was a way to store doors in a pile (similar to a log pile, where the rendered version only has one texture, but you can store different types of doors) in a workshop, but I know it's not as critical of storage problem (I'd rather have that option for rocks!).

You don't find item frames "believable" or "realistic"? Don't use them or use minetweaker to delete recipe. But I think this is more you trying to take a shot at Kitty. So please reread the blog post and understand nuisance.

I'm actually fine with storing everything ever in anything ever for that matter. What I'm trying to say is that there is NO way to store a door in TFC, short of using an exploit. This is not a problem for me, I just don't see any of the above given answers as a suitable storage solutions, which we might as well just admit and not dance around it anymore.

And since you went there, you people really need to ease off a little. Not everything on the internet is a personal offence.

A vanilla mechanic of placing an item in a frame for display is hardly an exploit. There is a way to store doors in TFC, it's called placing them. Expecting some sort of storage block specifically for doors is pretty ridiculous, considering it's such a random niche thing that it would never get used and putting in the effort to create it would be pointless.

When you take the time to continually criticize a mod in a non-constructive matter, and that's pretty much the only posts that you ever make on a forum, it sure is personally offending the owners of said forum and mod.

Just a quickie:

How would you store a door IRL?

Obviously I'd head down to the local Canadian Tire, head to the wood section, and rummage through the bin of doors until I find one that suits my needs.

Ok this topic is going south. An answer was provided and so this is being locked.