Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Ravenyard

Worlds End / World Border

9 posts in this topic

Hello.

I am from germany, 34yo and love this mod.

After hours of gaming i still have some questions.

How big is TFC and is the world "round" like the earth? So if i go east and so on could i sourround the world? Or if i go north and go on in the -Z coords could i reach the south pole?

I tried in creative mode and even about z > -90.000 the worldcreation goes on and on... but only snow and ice....I read that z -30.000 should be the north pole but there is no end and the coords go on.

So can i go endless to south and east  and north and west?

Thanks.

(I play on Nitrado Server; Version 0.79.15...)

Edited by Ravenyard

TFC by itself is an endless world, although any coordinates over 30,000 will just be a ice wasteland. Be it to North or South. On the X coordinates, you can pretty much go on forever and keep finding land and trees and all sorts of landscapes.

Most servers however limit the world size with some sort of plugin, There is one called World Border that even is able to teleport  you to the other side when you reach the border, creating an effect like the world is round. Is not perfect, because of the different biome, so you can be in a desert and get teleport to a forest, but you would be on the other side of the map.

is there any possibility to bring a working world sphere-like shape to TFC?

A thing like this with java

I think it would be easier to just give the illusion of a spherical world, then to really make it. Using some noise code we could even mix the terrain from the borders, so it would not be so drastically different. 

My reasoning is this: Minecraft is made of cubes, so imagine a huge cube world with a center of gravity, when you get to one of the edges you would need to switch and start walking on the side of the block. That would break all codes for water behavior and how grass and plants go. The thing is that even if you remove the corners from the cube to try and make it a globe, is still made of blocks (read cubes ), and they would have gravity orientation in one side.

Another issue is the sun. In minecraft the sun is the one that moves and not the world. No idea what kind of issues that would bring. Right now time is the same no mater where you are in the world.

Not saying is impossible, but I do not think is in the scope of tfc. Not even sure if is possible with the current code for minecraft. I do still believe is possible to make it using java, just no idea how. For the little ( read almost none ) I have seen of java, I think this would be a huge project in itself.

To make an actual sphere you'd need to implement geospatial capabilities to the world generator. It's possible, just a lot of work. I don't think a sphere would be very practical though. Think about it: most of the sphere would be underground rock, caves and such. How much time do you spend just digging holes underground in TFC? With regular vanilla Minecraft I see people digging out large caverns, but not with TFC.A simpler model would take a fixed size world that is completely flat and wrap the biomes around at the borders. Somewhat similar to creating a tiling texture file in Photoshop for a non-tiling image. This would also require a lot of work to do, just not nearly as much as creating an actual sphere. Unfortunately for a cosmetic feature, I think it's simply too much effort for anyone to seriously consider though.

Seems like the simplest option would be teleporting to the other side of the world on reaching an edge, and mixing/copying parts of the terrain at the edges to create a vague illusion of walking forward steadily.That said, the world only really needs a limit on servers, so it seems like this would be better left to plugins/a serverside world generation mod, and I've never even seen vanilla servers that bothered to go so far.

In my mind there's a way to make a virtual spheric world. I don't know if the Minecraft can be forced to do this, but if you think, the way is to load chunks from the other side of the world as you go. For example when you're at the 30.000, the engine starts to load from -30.000. As I said I don't know if you can load on the sight any chunk, but I think that's the most handy way. The most possible option is to teleport. Laggy and weird, but works.

thank you for your answers guys