Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
EastAPOLO

Anybody use or has used Linux before? (gnu/linux)

13 posts in this topic

Favorite: Linux Mint

I personally used Ubuntu Linux which was my first distribution and it is the most popular/widely used version of Linux that most experienced users will recommend to beginners. So it was a good option. Now I have used or tried Linux mint (based on Ubuntu), Arch Linux, Gentoo Linux, openSUSE Linux, Manjaro Linux (based off Arch Linux) and Debian Linux (What Ubuntu is based off of). Even though Ubuntu is based off of Debian it has its own software repositories and makes things a lot more easier in my opinion to install then in Debian if you don't know what you are doing. If you don't know what a Linux Distribution is the definition is as follows  "A Linux distribution (often called a distro for short) is an operating system made as a software collection based on the Linux kernel and, often, on a package management system." My main OS that I use is Windows 7 but if I had to use Linux only it would be Ubuntu for how easy it is to use and all the software it has that is easy to install with the click of a button.... or two. :)  One last thing to note is Linux has different DE (Desktop Environments) to choose from compared to Mac OSX or Windows where it's only one. Remember I am not a expert but I try to help as best I can.  :) 

Wrapping that up I want to ask what is your favorite Linux OS or which one have you used before if you ever used one? 

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by EastAPOLO

I have used Ubuntu. Currently have an old desktop and my really old laptop running Debian. My main rig is a custom build in a Corsair 730T Full-Tower case, running windows 8.1.

Favorite: Debian

Currently using: Xen, Debian, Gentoo, PFSense (based on FreeBSD, also a Unix derivative like Linux), Open WRT. And a bunch of embedded distributions in a variety of appliances like Blu-Ray player, AV Receiver, set top box, etc.

Used: Debian, Gentoo, Xandros, Suse, Red Hat, Busy Box, Raspian, Mandriva, Fedora, Mint, Clear OS, Arch Linux, CentOS, SlackWare and about a dozen others I can't remember the names of right now.

For the most part Linux = Linux depending on the place in the family tree. So for example all distribution based on Debian have a lot in common, but they are all based on GNU Linux. The biggest branch is Debian, followed by Red Hat. Here's a distro time line:

Posted Image

Here's a closer look at the Debian branch:

Posted Image

Edited by InsaneJ

I have used Red Hat Linux and Solaris, but only at work. Linuxes are very common in companies which do microelectronic circuits development. Mostly because of stability. Also they allow great automation (scripts, data pipes, redirection, etc), and many microelectronics software is made for Linux.

But since it is not my own home computer system, I know very little about setting it up, installing additional programs, etc. Because all that stuff is provided and controlled by a separate department and ordinary users are not allowed much. And also they (OSes) are much older then modern home ones, because companies prefer proved by time stuff, again for stability.About personal usage: I plan to replace Windows Vista on my old notebook (Dell Inspiron 1525) with a Linux. I selected LinuxMint with Cinnamon DE for this. Also considered Ubuntu.

I am ready to do it for a month now, but lack of time for making backups and unstable behavior of 7-year old Vista still prevents me from starting :)))

The notebook is for "office" tasks. So EastAPOLO, how would you compare LinuxMint and Ubuntu? I heard that LinuxMint is a bit more user-friendly and better for people new in Linux world.Would you agree?

What are disadvantages of LinuxMint in comparison to Ubuntu?

Would you strongly advice against LinuxMint?

And - what types of tasks do you perform on your linux, i.e. what kinds of software are available from the repositories? I guess movie players are already embedded into Ubuntu/Mint. What about sophisticated DVD/CD writers and grabbers, which can set writing speed, or EAC analogs? Stuff for working with USB flash drives, like for benchmarking them, making bootable. Backup software? Torrent clients? Do major companies, like e.g. Intel, make their software for their e.g. SSDs for Ubuntu/Mint too? E.g. Inted SSD Tool, for updating SDD firmware?

Please don't waste your time on details, just coarse info.

Update: Lol, InsaneJ added his post while I was typing mine :) InsaneJ, if you could give some advices about my questions and concerns, it is also appreciated of course :)

Edited by heptagon_ru

My first distro was SuSE. After that I used Ubuntu, Arch, Debian (for a bit), tried Slackware, Frugalware, Xubuntu, Lubuntu, something raptorfoot (i don't remember the name, but it was a Gentoo port) (Chakra?) and SteamOS. My favourites are Kubuntu (it has some painful ideas, but works right) and Arch.

For some games I have Win 8.1 too.

Edited by DcNdrew

I have used Red Hat Linux and Solaris, but only at work. Linuxes are very common in companies which do microelectronic circuits development. Mostly because of stability. Also they allow great automation (scripts, data pipes, redirection, etc), and many microelectronics software is made for Linux.

But since it is not my own home computer system, I know very little about setting it up, installing additional programs, etc. Because all that stuff is provided and controlled by a separate department and ordinary users are not allowed much. And also they (OSes) are much older then modern home ones, because companies prefer proved by time stuff, again for stability.

About personal usage: I plan to replace Windows Vista on my old notebook (Dell Inspiron 1525) with a Linux. I selected LinuxMint with Cinnamon DE for this. Also considered Ubuntu.

I am ready to do it for a month now, but lack of time for making backups and unstable behavior of 7-year old Vista still prevents me from starting :)))

The notebook is for "office" tasks.

So EastAPOLO, how would you compare LinuxMint and Ubuntu? I heard that LinuxMint is a bit more user-friendly and better for people new in Linux world.

Would you agree?

What are disadvantages of LinuxMint in comparison to Ubuntu?

Would you strongly advice against LinuxMint?

And - what types of tasks do you perform on your linux, i.e. what kinds of software are available from the repositories? I guess movie players are already embedded into Ubuntu/Mint. What about sophisticated DVD/CD writers and grabbers, which can set writing speed, or EAC analogs? Stuff for working with USB flash drives, like for benchmarking them, making bootable. Backup software? Torrent clients? Do major companies, like e.g. Intel, make their software for their e.g. SSDs for Ubuntu/Mint too? E.g. Inted SSD Tool, for updating SDD firmware?

Please don't waste your time on details, just coarse info.

Update: Lol, InsaneJ added his post while I was typing mine :) InsaneJ, if you could give some advices about my questions and concerns, it is also appreciated of course :)

Heptagon_ru I think Linux Mint is better then Ubuntu and the reasons why are, It
includes proprietary software like codecs for video, making you not have to install it
yourself like in Ubuntu, It includes a traditional desktop like in Windows where
Ubuntu's Unity is more optimized for touchscreen/tablets but still usable on a PC. A pro for
Ubuntu in my opinion since it is similar like Mac is that its great for you if you like Mac and it has
a company behind it and generally looks nicer like in Windows. Both of them have a great
community to help you with issues and since Linux Mint is based off Ubuntu they are very similar and include the same software in their repositories.

“What about sophisticated DVD/CD writers and grabbers, which can set writing
speed, or EAC analogs? Stuff for working with USB flash drives, like for
benchmarking them, making bootable. Backup software? Torrent clients? Do major
companies, like e.g. Intel, make their software for their e.g. SSDs for Ubuntu/Mint
too? E.g. Inted SSD Tool, for updating SDD firmware?"

Sophisticated DVD/CD writers and grabbers, yes, depending on what your expectations are
I would recommend one called xfburn. Benchmarking USB flash drives I think there is
software for that, but personally I have never used one, and making them bootable,
yes, backup software, yes, Torrent clients, yes. For the SSD Tool for updating SSD
firmware and things like that it depends if Intel or any company supports Linux, so what I
would do is go check on the company's website or just google it if anybody else has
the same SSD you do or any issue. You can try checking the Drivers Manager on Linux Mint or Ubuntu and see if your SSD has any proprietary drivers it needs and if it is supported before checking on the internet. Hope this helped.   :)  If you want more information check out the links I give which is a really detailed article, two Youtube channels that give you good information about Linux, and the Ubuntu Forums for these type of questions where people are really experts.

=========================== What I use on Linux================================================================
Everything I do on Linux and need already exists especially for typing Word documents, watching videos, making videos with a video editor, etc... Only thing I would complain about is the lack of support of Games on Linux and some Windows programs I rely on which you can try to get working in Linux with Wine, sort of like a Windows emulator. If you type on google Winehq or just Wine on Ubuntu or Linux Mint's package manager you will be able to install it. One example of a Windows program I rely on is Notepad++ I got it working using Wine no problem, works like a charm and installs.
Edited by EastAPOLO

Thank you! The general information is great, now I understand situation better. Your experience is exactly what I need.

And thanks for the links to the more detailed sources, very handy for beginning.

Thank you! The general information is great, now I understand situation better. Your experience is exactly what I need.

And thanks for the links to the more detailed sources, very handy for beginning.

No Problem!  :)

Favorite: Debian

Currently using: Xen, Debian, Gentoo, PFSense (based on FreeBSD, also a Unix derivative like Linux), Open WRT. And a bunch of embedded distributions in a variety of appliances like Blu-Ray player, AV Receiver, set top box, etc.

Used: Debian, Gentoo, Xandros, Suse, Red Hat, Busy Box, Raspian, Mandriva, Fedora, Mint, Clear OS, Arch Linux, CentOS, SlackWare and about a dozen others I can't remember the names of right now.

For the most part Linux = Linux depending on the place in the family tree. So for example all distribution based on Debian have a lot in common, but they are all based on GNU Linux. The biggest branch is Debian, followed by Red Hat. Here's a distro time line:

Posted Image

Here's a closer look at the Debian branch:

Posted Image

I have seen this kind of timeline before and I like how detailed it is and provides a easy to see history of distributions themselves and other ones based on them.  :) There are "some" distributions in that chart I have never tried before, so I guess its time to fire up Virtualbox.  :D

Edited by EastAPOLO

My first distro was SuSE. After that I used Ubuntu, Arch, Debian (for a bit), tried Slackware, Frugalware, Xubuntu, Lubuntu, something raptorfoot (i don't remember the name, but it was a Gentoo port) (Chakra?) and SteamOS. My favourites are Kubuntu (it has some painful ideas, but works right) and Arch.

For some games I have Win 8.1 too.

Apparently OpenSUSE was the noob friendly distro back in the day and then Ubuntu came along. At least that is what I heard, but personally I think it is now for Intermediate to advanced users since Ubuntu is considered the go-to distro for new users.

Edited by EastAPOLO

Years ago (befoer the advent of Windows) I used a pretty bare Unix system - also at uni.These days I have a netbook on which I run Ubunto, but other computers are Windows.I find Ubunto just as easy to use as Windows, with the caveat that there are fewer gaes packages for it - Wine is quite limited, but I do run a Windows-based music (notation) program on this occasionally.

I switched from windows 8.1 to linux almost 2 years ago, I used linux mint with kde 4 for a while and I switched to manjaro a few month ago. So far so good, I think I'm gonna stick with it for a long time, I love the rolling-release concept and the dev team make a great job at providing stable updates.

As desktop environnment I tried Cinnamon, openbox, gnome 3, XFCE, enlightenment, awesome wm (actually more a window manager than a DE, it has great performances and customizability but too keyboard-centric and the customization is too time-consuming) and kde. I'm definitly a kde fan, compared to the other I tested, it may be more resource-consuming but it's rich ecosystem is really worth it IMHO.

What I love in linux :

[*]The possibility to customize the look of almost anything

[*]You can configure it to behave as you want and don't need to adapt to how it behave (now I feel frustrated when I use windows)

[*]Great ergonomy (due to the above)

[*]When I install a software, there is not a bunch of hidden options trying to install bloatwares...

[*]The power of the shell (being a developper, having a modern capable shell is a life saver)

My current desktop:

Posted Image

I switched from windows 8.1 to linux almost 2 years ago, I used linux mint with kde 4 for a while and I switched to manjaro a few month ago. So far so good, I think I'm gonna stick with it for a long time, I love the rolling-release concept and the dev team make a great job at providing stable updates.

As desktop environnment I tried Cinnamon, openbox, gnome 3, XFCE, enlightenment, awesome wm (actually more a window manager than a DE, it has great performances and customizability but too keyboard-centric and the customization is too time-consuming) and kde. I'm definitly a kde fan, compared to the other I tested, it may be more resource-consuming but it's rich ecosystem is really worth it IMHO.

What I love in linux :

[*]The possibility to customize the look of almost anything

[*]You can configure it to behave as you want and don't need to adapt to how it behave (now I feel frustrated when I use windows)

[*]Great ergonomy (due to the above)

[*]When I install a software, there is not a bunch of hidden options trying to install bloatwares...

[*]The power of the shell (being a developper, having a modern capable shell is a life saver)

My current desktop:

Posted Image

Wow that looks like a awesome desktop  :) and yeah Manjaro is really good I like it and consider it the friendly version of Arch Linux done right in my opinion. However some updates may break your system as I have seen happen to some people but it is not nearly as much as on Arch Linux and happens rarely which is one of the many reasons why I like Manjaro Linux. So thanks for sharing your experience and opinions, always great to talk to people about Linux and I agree about your points why Linux is awesome. Love the Minecraft icons by the way they look awesome!  :D 

Edited by EastAPOLO