Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Absle

[Solved] Crash/EXTREME lag due to running out of memory while loading new areas

9 posts in this topic

Have you read, understood, and followed all of the rules listed in large text at the top of the support forum? (Yes/No): Yes Answering "no" to the above question will result in your post being deleted. TFC Version #: 0.79.20 Forge Version #: 10.13.4.1448  SSP/SMP (SinglePlayer/MultiPlayer): SSP Description: Sorry in advance if this is too much info, I'm just trying to get down any patterns that I noticed in case they are useful. When entering a new area (perhaps new chunk?) the games memory begins to spike to extremely high levels until it begins to approach 100% and starts becoming unresponsive in certain ways (not updating the map item or not dropping sticks/rocks when I break them on the ground) and eventually begins to lag so much that it's unplayable. I'm unsure if Minecraft actually considers it a crash since it is the "Java SE Binary" that becomes unresponsive from the point of view of windows and allows me to force it off. Furthermore, if I retreat from the new area quickly enough the memory returns to a manageable level and I can play normally and Minecraft doesn't seem to make a crash report in the way described in this forum's tutorials (all I get is the games output log with no link to a crash report or a crash report folder in the .minecraft directory). Increasing the games allocated memory to 2gb or 3gb doesn't seem to do anything other than make it take longer to get to 100% and crash. The first area that this began to happen in caused the game to crash 4 or 5 times and I gave up for a few ours and put my computer in hibernate while I was out, and when I came back and started playing again I could load the new area just fine and explore just fine (not sure how far in that would have continued). Going to a NEW new area began to cause the same issue and eventual crash. I was playing around the with map item (which appeared to be making a map of the whole chunk I was currently in) it didn't start until I left the borders of an explored map into a new one, so I believe it is in fact chunk-based. The new map just gave me a white paper and began to lag out again eventually. Have you deleted your config files or are using default configs and are still able to reproduce this bug? (Yes/No): Yes Do you have any mods other than Forge and TFC installed? (Yes/No): Yes, FastCraft This is the log that the game has had in its output every time that this has occurred. Sorry that it's not an actual crash report, Minecraft doesn't seem to be making a crash report in the way described on this forum. Let me know if there's an alternate way I might get the crash report and I'll post it if possible. Towards the end of this particular report I changed to a cheat-enabled LAN setting in-game to change the weather and test if the rain was somehow causing the crash. It wasn't.

http://pastebin.com/1vLkEPTW

You should update Java. Currently you're using Java 8u25 while 8u45 is available here: https://java.com/en/download/manual.jsp It's very important to keep Java updated. Not just to solve bugs, but to patch the many security issues Java has. Also be sure to keep Java disabled in your browser at all costs. How do I disable Java in my web browser?

Who knows, it may even help solve your issue :)

First you need to give more than 1gb RAM. 1gb is bare minimum, try 2, no more than 4gb. Next read Kitty's Post on JVM arguements. Lastly are you running fastcraft? If not you need to run it.

You should update Java. Currently you're using Java 8u25 while 8u45 is available here: https://java.com/en/download/manual.jsp It's very important to keep Java updated. Not just to solve bugs, but to patch the many security issues Java has. Also be sure to keep Java disabled in your browser at all costs. How do I disable Java in my web browser?

Who knows, it may even help solve your issue :)

Woops, didn't even realize I was out of date. Not that I care, but why should I keep java from running in my browser?

First you need to give more than 1gb RAM. 1gb is bare minimum, try 2, no more than 4gb. Next read Kitty's Post on JVM arguements. Lastly are you running fastcraft? If not you need to run it.

That particular log I was only using 1gb, but it was still occuring on up to 3gb. And yeah, fastcraft is installed.

All right, so by setting Minecraft's threads to use all 8 it didn't quite crash upon entering a new chunk, but it started doing weird things with the inventory UI and dropped items. Sticks that I broke on the ground only popped up after a good minute and the maps in my inventory started to update and stack and move in really strange ways. Even afterwards my location on the map wasn't updating properly. The actual movement of the character however never lagged or jumped in anyway.

Could you please post the world seed and location that you are experiencing this lag? It is much more likely that it is specific to just that area in that world, and that you wouldn't have this issue when playing a different seed. Also, I see that you said you changed the settings for how many threads to use, but did you do all of the other settings for garbage collection and whatnot? All of those arguments in my post should be used to get the best possible performance.

Could you please post the world seed and location that you are experiencing this lag? It is much more likely that it is specific to just that area in that world, and that you wouldn't have this issue when playing a different seed. Also, I see that you said you changed the settings for how many threads to use, but did you do all of the other settings for garbage collection and whatnot? All of those arguments in my post should be used to get the best possible performance.

Just finished adding all the arguments, didn't realized that they were ALL important to add. The seed is 3515603363446706600, my current main shack is located at x=551 y=146 z=-8395. The crash and lag initially happened when heading into new areas west of there and north of there. I don't know the exact places since it hasn't been happening for awhile, probably because the new areas causing it are now completely loaded properly and I haven't been able to go beyond them yet. I did go east a bit and didn't experience ANYTHING like it, but I'm not sure if I went far enough.

It honestly sounds to me that your system just couldn't keep up with the garbage collection while generating those new areas. For some players it just lags out like you experienced, for others it will crash with a stack overflow, everyone's system is different. However, adding in all of the JVM arguments will help with that greatly, and it's very likely you won't experience it again.

Java is pretty crap when it comes to garbage collection. Just allocating more memory isn't going to help in a lot of situations, because all that means is its going to hold on to that much more junk before it finally does one big dump, which often causes a lag spike that can hang around for quite a while until it gets everything cleared, if it manages to clear everything at all. For single player, set it to 1GB minimum and then 2GB max, and only increase it to 3GB or 4GB if you are explicitly getting OutOfMemory crashes and have already added all the other arguments to help out with performance. Allocating too much memory with Minecraft can cause just as many issues as not allocating enough

Edit: I loaded up a world with that seed, teleported my player to that location and then started flying west. I can confirm that the chunks were a bit slower than expected to load, but they all did within a minute and it was smooth sailing from there.

Edited by Kittychanley

It honestly sounds to me that your system just couldn't keep up with the garbage collection while generating those new areas. For some players it just lags out like you experienced, for others it will crash with a stack overflow, everyone's system is different. However, adding in all of the JVM arguments will help with that greatly, and it's very likely you won't experience it again.

Java is pretty crap when it comes to garbage collection. Just allocating more memory isn't going to help in a lot of situations, because all that means is its going to hold on to that much more junk before it finally does one big dump, which often causes a lag spike that can hang around for quite a while until it gets everything cleared, if it manages to clear everything at all. For single player, set it to 1GB minimum and then 2GB max, and only increase it to 3GB or 4GB if you are explicitly getting OutOfMemory crashes and have already added all the other arguments to help out with performance. Allocating too much memory with Minecraft can cause just as many issues as not allocating enough

Edit: I loaded up a world with that seed, teleported my player to that location and then started flying west. I can confirm that the chunks were a bit slower than expected to load, but they all did within a minute and it was smooth sailing from there.

The arguments have helped a helluva lot, thanks! And yeah, that's exactly what I've been experiencing lately, I can even watch Java taking those big dumps from 90% down to 60% in one jump, neat. I was probably just overreacting to just not having my Java set up to handle this very well, 'cause I don't notice any more gameplay issues while loading new chunks (though I can watch the memory usage spike to around 80-90%). One caveat (and it's not a huge one, probably unavoidable) when I walked to the corner of an old chunk and simultaneously came in range of two new ones that tried to load at once it lagged enough that I wasn't able to interact with my inventory and items weren't dropping on the ground. I thought it was going to crash again when it hit 99%, but it dumped back to 70%. Thanks again for the help everyone!