Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Arrowcrest

How to starve to death?

4 posts in this topic

I really like the new way that the game handles nutrition and hunger, especially the way in which operating on an empty stomach causes nutrition loss rather than health loss - I think it gives a much more believable representation of starvation than simply dying from going without food for a day.

However, I like to play TFC in the mindset of a frontier settler: I move to a harsh wilderness, try to scratch out a homestead in a race against the seasons, and then try desperately to survive the lack of food that winter brings. To that end, I really look forward to the (eventual) body temperature system adding a new layer to that challenge.My problem is that under the new system, the race against winter and the cycle of seasons has been neutered by the inability to die from starvation, the single unavoidable opponent to my survival. The old starvation system, awkward as it was, made the potential for running out of stores during the long-dark a real threat that could genuinely kill me. The new system will turn me into a fragile waif, but a fragile waif perfectly capable of surviving an entire harvest cycle without eating if I simply avoid exploring bear infested woods or staying out after dark. (The way that I play the game, it is almost never the case that I take any damage unless deliberately placing myself in voluntary danger). While I am sure many, if not most, others players find this hunger-as-a-soft-limit approach freeing for their personal approach to the TFC experience, it completely removes the sense of purpose that motivated my enjoyment of the mod.

My question is this: Is there any way, through editing either the config files or the mod files themselves, that I can remove the floor on how low the max-hp level can be reduced by a lack of nutrition? I really want to maintain the way that hunger and nutrition currently interact, but I would like severe malnutrition to genuinely lead to death in-and-of-itself. It seems simple enough in concept that by setting the hp-max floor to zero instead of 50, this could be achieved. Yes, I am aware that I could simply off myself if I ever reached the 50hp level to simulate starvation, but it just doesn't create the same kind of immersive head-space.

This is a very interesting question. So far as I know, there is no such config option. At least, I would expect it to be located here:

player {   # The maximum achievable health pool total.   I:HealthGainCap=3000   # The rate of Health Gain per experience level. Set to 0 to turn off.   I:HealthGainRate=20}

And I don't see an option for it there.

So then there is the second option. I do not know exactly what file you would need to edit, but somewhere there has to be a line that sets 50hp as the minumum. Simply slip in a line that kills you and you should be good. I think com/bioxx/tfc/Core/Player/ would be a good place to start.

EDIT: Found it! I'll pm you the details.

Just a heads up, setting the minimum HP to 0 actually won't kill you. Players can run around with 0 HP until they actual take a true damage source that kills them. The way the nutrition system drains HP doesn't actually harm the player in any way, so there's no trigger to kill them if it were to hit 0.

I fell from a ladder while cutting trees last night, when i hit the ground hp goes to zero. I was like "phew" :D