Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Potatoes = Fries

Rare Meteoric Iron ore

14 posts in this topic

I Have A suggestion for iron I read that some of the first iron tools were made of meteoric iron which was almost pure iron so my idea was to add rare very rare cluster of meteoric iron ore as rocks on the surface of the world Also It would never be found in veins meteoric iron being almost pure iron would yield 100 units of iron but would be very rare to keep it balanced and not over powered I found this out on Wikipedia

link for iron age and how they used meteoric iron https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_Age

Nah, 100 is way too low. I imagine a slab of meteorite, ~6 blocks core with scraps that spread horizontally, that when mined drops a huge iron chunk that can be melted for 100~2500 iron. It's rarity would be some thing like... Dunno, 1/4000 chunk? That should be rare enough.

I was thinking of loads of surface rock of metoric iron not veins because its suposed to be easy just pick it up off the ground

Maybe have the really rare chance for it spawn at all, but then have a second chance for there to be a meteor that's intact with a small vein inside. It makes sense that some of the meteor would survive the atmosphere and the impact. It could also world gen a crater around the surviving part like how AE2 does.

Edited by Powerman913717

How abut a Terraria (actually, the names are kinda similar) style "A meteorite has landed" possibly with a "near you". Then you can search, possibly with a prospector's pick, and find a ball of iron (blooms?) sitting in a crater in the ground, near a few flattened trees :P.

Hmm. A meteorite rarely survives to the surface of the earth, but t'is TFC. Well, yeah, maybe just gen a bunch of bloom(refined) and gen scraps of the meteorite nearby. Meteorite always have craters, ay?

That idea of meteoric iron has no go. Meteoric iron IRL: not smeltable and not forgable material (by economic means, you will need too much heat). Just imagine all things that iron goes through. Even inferno of atmosphere reentry do nothing to that material. And then you find it and place it to cooking pot and place it to campfire(firepit)? LOL.

It's not 'do nothing'. You do realize how small meteorites are in comparison with common asteroids? They melt and occasionaly shatter upon entering the atmosphere. Also, it's not reentry before it's never been inside Earth. They're nearly pure iron with some nickel.

The iron found in iron meteorites was one of the earliest sources of usable iron available to humans, before the development of smelting that signaled the beginning of the iron age.

Edited by Miner239

I was leaning away from veins because ancient man probaly picked it up off the ground and most meteorites found can fit in the palm of your hand

Also if not examined up close they can just look like a rock but once you look at it closely you can tell it is a meteorite or if you hold a magnate to it you can tell its a metorite

Hntrofdmnds said:How abut a Terraria (actually, the names are kinda similar) style "A meteorite has landed" possibly with a "near you". Then you can search, possibly with a prospector's pick, and find a ball of iron (blooms?) sitting in a crater in the ground, near a few flattened trees  :P.

Well thats True 

How many meteors enter the Earth's atmosphere every day?

Lots!

In a recent article in the journal Nature, March 28, 1996 vol. 380, page 323, Dr.s A.D. Taylor, W. J. Baggaley and D. I. Street at the University of Adelaide in Australia discuss the results of their 1 year radar monitoring of incoming meteors. When meteorites slam into the atmosphere, they produce ionization in the atmosphere. Radar echos from this momentary ionization allow the velocity, altitude and distance to be determined if you have two or more such installations for triangulation. The AMOR radar in New Zealand was used for a year in this fashion to detect 350,000 faint echos from very small meteorites with sizes between 10 - 100 microns. This works out to nearly 1000 every day, just from this site alone! Over 1508 of these meteorites ( 0.9 percent) were found to be traveling at speeds up to several hundred kilometers per second!

On any given day, the estimates are than the Earth intercepts about 19,000 meteorites weighing over 3.5 ounces, every year of which fewer than 10 are ever recovered. About 2800 meteorites are in museums from previous 'falls' and are chemically found to represent about 20 or so distinct parent-bodies. The Earth acquires about 100 tons per day of dust-sized micro- meteoroids.        

source:http://www.astronomycafe.net/qadir/q896.html

however its rarely that a meteorite survives the atomsphere of the earth

its chances under 0.00000000%   but it do happen

Edited by ahmed4455666

And Also Most Met

Well thats True 

How many meteors enter the Earth's atmosphere every day?

Lots!

In a recent article in the journal Nature, March 28, 1996 vol. 380, page 323, Dr.s A.D. Taylor, W. J. Baggaley and D. I. Street at the University of Adelaide in Australia discuss the results of their 1 year radar monitoring of incoming meteors. When meteorites slam into the atmosphere, they produce ionization in the atmosphere. Radar echos from this momentary ionization allow the velocity, altitude and distance to be determined if you have two or more such installations for triangulation. The AMOR radar in New Zealand was used for a year in this fashion to detect 350,000 faint echos from very small meteorites with sizes between 10 - 100 microns. This works out to nearly 1000 every day, just from this site alone! Over 1508 of these meteorites ( 0.9 percent) were found to be traveling at speeds up to several hundred kilometers per second!

On any given day, the estimates are than the Earth intercepts about 19,000 meteorites weighing over 3.5 ounces, every year of which fewer than 10 are ever recovered. About 2800 meteorites are in museums from previous 'falls' and are chemically found to represent about 20 or so distinct parent-bodies. The Earth acquires about 100 tons per day of dust-sized micro- meteoroids.        

source:http://www.astronomycafe.net/qadir/q896.html

however its rarely that a meteorite survives the atomsphere of the earth

its chances under 0.00000000%   but it do happen

Also The Earth Has more water than land I frogeot the actual percentage but I do know there is more water on earth than land most of the water on earth is in the oceans

which means the most Likely place  for a meteor to hit is the ocean the meteroites I was thinking of on land would not have fallen from the sky in the timeline your playing "if it was not a game and was real life" but millions of years ago and has been exposed by time wearing the surface of the earth away Example wind/rain erosion And I dont want the meteors to be mined because thats not what ancient man probly did they probly picked it up off the ground

No dice, I'm afraidDunk has already shot these down in threads that have been on this site longer than any of youPlus, meteoric iron was NOT normally pure iron. It also usually contains nickel, gallium, and trace levels of the primarily celestial metal iridium. Meteoric iron makes steel far superior to the stuff we make from plain iron.As I said though, Dunk shot this down LONG ago. Rule 1, kiddies.