Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Lock0n09

Tree mechanics

34 posts in this topic

I'm not saying it's not realistic, but it would take up a lot of time ingame that could potentially be spent doing something else.  There's enough time wasters in TFC already without the need to complicate the process even more.

( it would make more sense to use a plank and not a log

Like I said the ideal would be a rewrite of how wood is handle in the game.

For example we should have access to planks without the need for a saw, using either a stone axe or wedges. If the Devs fill they need to limit some other aspects of the mod to metal age it could be done by introducing required devices. Like for the barrel we would need a metal band, made in the anvil, for doors we would need metal Hinges and so on and so forth. I would go to the extreme of requiring a Hammer and nail when placing wood blocks. So people would have access to the crafting grid, but not to elaborate constructions without metal.

What about saw handles? If you need a saw to make your tools, then you absolutely MUST make a saw first. But where would the saw handle come from???

I'm 100% against splitting logs for planks. It's not like it's extremely difficult to get a copper saw.

Edited by anonymous conservative

There goes a difference in opinion, play stile, or maybe I was not really clear. If you just add a stone wedge to the mod and change nothing else it will for sure break the balance and I would be against it too.

Even though it was possible and people actually build wood plank houses in stone age, it was a lot of work and took a long time.

This tread is about Trees, henceforth wood.

Like I said to change one thing would require changing a lot more to keep the balance.

Now there are 2 different items One is called Lumber and the other is called Planks.

I think we should have access to lumber in stone age and require metal nails for the use of Planks.

This way is possible to have some balance.

The way the game works we could just use lumber and a knife to craft a tool handle.

So you use wedges to turn logs into lumber and a knife to make tool handles out of Lumber.

Please keep discussion on topic to the discussion. Do not use this as a soapbox. Many of these arguements have been made before.

I think we should have access to lumber in stone age and require metal nails for the use of Planks.

Now that would be an interesting concept.  Having to smith nails in order to use planks properly.  It would be interesting to see that kind of mechanic, sort of like using bricks and mortar to make brick blocks.  To make a plank block, you'd have to use a crafting recipe like so:

N = Nail (any tool metal)

P = Plank (any wood)

P N P

N P N  -->  4 Plank blocks

P N P

However, this would also require a change to the crafting table recipe, and I don't really know how that could work out.

I always thought mills must have his place to TFC. Mills is the main construction that is powered by wind that increase output results of sub mechanisms already implemented in TFC. (quern, bellow, saw).

Okay okay, I know that it already been suggested many times but I recall It because Dunk considered mechanical power one day.

"http://terrafirmacraft.com/f/topic/5090-mechanical-power-doing-things-better-faster/page-2"

So my questions; both of you devs, a futur possibility or truly not ?

Because it could really be a very interesting new system to explore for the iron age. Very handy and fun to build for the player that want to reach steel/red steel era.

Edited by landryx

Now that would be an interesting concept.  Having to smith nails in order to use planks properly.  It would be interesting to see that kind of mechanic, sort of like using bricks and mortar to make brick blocks.  To make a plank block, you'd have to use a crafting recipe like so:

N = Nail (any tool metal)

P = Plank (any wood)

P N P

N P N  -->  4 Plank blocks

P N P

However, this would also require a change to the crafting table recipe, and I don't really know how that could work out.

I was going more in the direction of requiring nails in your inventory and consuming then as you place a wood block ( planks ).

But I digress and as busan said we should keep this in the topic of the initial tread. The idea was about softwood and hardwood, So instead of having each stick with different properties, something that we already try in this mod and it was a pain to manage inventory. We could just have tool handles with different properties depending on what wood was used to craft it. 

I think it is a cool idea, but not sure if really is worth implementing.

First is it really important enough to that the Dev's should work on it instead of something else?

In real life we always use only hardwood for tool handles, so should we limit what used could be used for that and just say that half the wood in the mod cannot be used for handles?

Or as Kitty pointed out even if we assign a X number or percentage of the tool durability dependent on the handle, will players really go out of their way to look for hardwood specifically for that?

Would all that really add to the mod gameplay? Or it will be just a feature ignored by most players? 

Again I think is a good idea, but at the same time do not think it should be implemented.

Heh, I think we might as well get wood overhaul. Make all (placed and natural)wood different in stats. Make a particular type quick(/hard) to break, or blast resisting, or strong bows/toolhandles, or fast growth, or quick burning(implemented) or yield more charcoal, or just plain average. Whatever suits the tags. To max out, you gotta explore from pole to equator.

Edit: Well, thanks for the info. I thought I saw it somewhere that different logs makes different amount of charcoal... But nevermind.

Edited by Miner239

or quick burning, or yield more charcoal(already done)

Actually, charcoal yields do not depend on what type of wood you use. It is entirely dependent on how many logs you put in, and absolutely nothing else other than a bit of random number generation. Also, different burn times and temperatures for different logs when used in a firepit is already implemented.