Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Potatoes = Fries

More Dangerous Minning

13 posts in this topic

I have an idea for mining I think it needs to be more dangerous In real life mining has many more dangers than cave-ins there is gas pockets co2 from humans and lighting if you use torches water seepage in mines does rot the support beams and they need to be replaced after a while so here is my idea of adding

new features

you need to make ventilation shafts to vent out noxious gasses.

to keep your mine from exploding, igniting and collapsing from chard support beams use lamps that don't have a open flame example oil lamps will be added with a glass cover to prevent the ignition of methane gas if you mine into a pocket of it also the vents also help get rid of the gas

hard hats to protect your head

canaries and a cage to warn you of high gas level for idea https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/canary_in_a_coal_mine

the need to change support beams in certain fashion example place new support beam than remove rotten one

what will happen without proper safety features

high gas levels will not show any affects until extreme stage when death is near at that time you will get blindness slowness and weakness

than you get the wither affect this will be stopped if you get out of high gas levels and into fresh air canaries will get this effect before you do giving you time to escape without the debuffs happining.

if methane reaches a open flame example torch fire lava or oil lamp without safety cover will ignite and will explode and or ignite the entire

mine causing support beams to fail and cause possible cavein

ventilation shafts will lower gas levels and bring in fresh air

someone tell me what they think of this idea

Don't feel like doing a complete research of the mining Technics history. 

I think most of the stuff you are describing did not happen until the industrial age , when in UK they needed more and more coal for the industry and had to go deeper into the mines.

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I think up to the medieval time, ie the TFC time frame, the mines were shallow and people did not had the kind of problems you are describing. 

I will give you that to be realistic we also should not be able to mine so deep, but that is an entirely different discussion

All of this seems like it would make mining a ridiculously hard task that would require dozens of people to keep an eye full time on just one deep ore mine.

Methane would be incredibly hard to combat without canaries (which if they spawned in a certain climate/biome area would just be a pain to get just to have an alarm system against noxious gas.)

A giant fireball in my face while mining would not be a pleasant experience and I would probably just download a mod/modify the script to make it not happen just so I don't ragequit after hours of mining.

A hard hat mechanic would be nice, but a standard metal helmet would suffice.

I wouldn't want to dig a ventilation shaft every 20 blocks or so just to vent some gas that may or may not explode in my face. Especially if I'm digging down in the third layer or so.

If we can't use torches/oil lamps to light our mines whilst underground to prevent a gas explosion, what would we use? 

Edited by Ancaladar

Historic mines did have ventilation issues which were sometimes cleverly addressed. I for one love this suggestion in principle. There is a mod that attempts to simulate this very simply: Enviromine. It doesnt do too bad a job of indicating air quality and how it changes. However, I have yet to really delve into it... Also, I dont see this suggestion as necessarily making mining obscenely difficult. It just requires some more planning. For example, you could go deeper into a mine and realize that breathing would become more difficult, so you dig further and then dig a ventilation shaft up to the surface or someplace with quality air and you have a solution. And i think it would make things much more interesting. I need to look into this again, but if i remember correctly, what is the solid limiting factor in depth of mining is temperature IRL. And i dont think minecraft even comes close to the kinds of depths where that is an issue. Ventilation is a factor, too, but it isnt a problem that cant be solved with readily available technology. Also, a BIG limitation to RL mining in medieval and earlier periods was water removal, which we really dont have to worry about in this game due to limitations in water physics. If it wasnt for water, mines would have gone a lot deeper a lot earlier in history, certainly to depths achievable in this game (which i think were achieved regardless). I dont see methane and explosive gases being an issue if we go for realism that much. It would happen fairly predictably, no, since it would only occur near certain kinds of mineral deposits like coal and stuff? Also, torches would still be useful in mines. You dont need much oxygen to get useful light. And enviromine does a good job of simulating the effects of having a fire underground or any enclosed spaces on air quality.

That said, to make the ventilation stuff more realsitic than enviromine would require some frequent and numerous calculations to determine air quality of a given air block or chunk of blocks to go on that miiiight drain cpu resources considerably. The math isnt what would be necessarily complex i dont think... The issue would be determining when and where to do calculations and the sheer number of them and how often to update them. I just remember the same stuff being talked about in the Dwarf Fortress forums, and it is something determined to be taxing on computer resources at least for that game. I wish i was at my compy... I can describe the issue further. It isnt impossible, though! And i think this is something cubic chunks would greatly facilitate... I will think on it.

Edited by Andeerz

There's already a mod called Glenn's Gases that implements a lot of this. If you want that functionality, try adding that mod and we'll look into talking with the author about better compatibility if there are any issues.

This seems way over the top. Cave-ins make mining hard enough as it is. This here would be far too tedious. Digging ventilation shafts every few blocks just so I don't suffocate or get blown up does not sound fun at all, and would add nearly nothing to gameplay. This would make mining near impossible. That is, if you don't wish to die.

Wow.  Thanks Kittychanley!  That mod really seems to fit the bill and appears to be absolutely brilliant!  Doesn't seem to have much in the way of ventilation in terms of oxygen/CO2, though I need to try this mod out for myself.  If it doesn't, most of Glenn's Gases' features plus the ventilation aspect of Environmine would almost completely satisfy the OP.  Holy crap!  <3

This seems way over the top. Cave-ins make mining hard enough as it is. This here would be far too tedious. Digging ventilation shafts every few blocks just so I don't suffocate or get blown up does not sound fun at all, and would add nearly nothing to gameplay. This would make mining near impossible. That is, if you don't wish to die.

Though obviously it seems like this suggestion will fall upon modders to make a reality... Well, having played with Enviromine, it doesn't make things all that tedious nor does it make things impossible.  It isn't like you have to make ventilation shafts every few blocks with that mod.  It depends on implementation.  AND if somehow realistic ventilation physics were simulated, even extremely simply, then you would only need one ventilation shaft and a layout of the mine that ensures airflow... which isn't the most easy thing in the world... which means some people might find it fun!!!  Having actual ventilation physics... now that is probably not at all easy to implement in this game without taxing the CPU to oblivion.Also, assuming some sort of reasonable ventilation physics, ventilation wouldn't be much of an issue if mining in a cave system since caves communicate with the surface quite a bit.And there is a significant part of the community that feels mining is WAY too easy.

If we can't use torches/oil lamps to light our mines whilst underground to prevent a gas explosion, what would we use? 

Use a Davy Safety Lamp!  :D  Though it is an invention of the Industrial Revolution, it is not something beyond Medieval technology. Also, canaries wouldn't be necessary.  Though this would be difficult to implement in any case, a torch or lamp could be used as it was in real life to test the air flowing from up ahead in a prospective mining area.  If it is snuffed out or burns a different color or burns more brightly, then something likely unhealthy is up ahead.

Edited by Andeerz

There's already a mod called Glenn's Gases that implements a lot of this. If you want that functionality, try adding that mod and we'll look into talking with the author about better compatibility if there are any issues.

I Just tried glenns gasses and It is not registering your torches as a ignition source for its flammable gasses I confirmed this in creative by igniting the gas with a vanilla flint and steel and a tfc flint and steel and placing tfc torches next to natrual gas

Edited by Potatoes = Fries

You'll need to bug the dev for config to add ignition sources if there isn't one. Nothing TFC can do.

I understand But one question does enviromine have compatibility with terrafirmacraft

The creator of the awesome Technofirmacraft add-on pack got Enviromine to work with TFC!  :D  Though there is more to that Enviromine mod than just the ventilation stuff, though.  It also has this campy "sanity" mechanic that I think is dumb...  Also, I don't think there is any cross-compatibility with Enviromine and Glenn's Gases.

Edited by Andeerz

Hard hats. Hard. Hats. No. Also, the gas is an interesting idea. You could combust the gas with a new tool/weapon that fires... fire...