Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
daveris

new passive mob AI

42 posts in this topic

i think the the passive mobs like chickens cows sheep and pigs should not run away when they are hit, they should run away when you run or walk near them like cats current AI. this way hunting would feel more involved right now i just have to walk point blank with my javalin and hit em with it just thought this would be something nice. plus another touch would be after taming them with wheat they would not run away

Quiet a dicent idea... It would make life in TFC harder but more intresting... I totaly support this idea...

Would actually get me to use my javelins like javelins. I like it.

Would actually get me to use my javelins like javelins. I like it.

i know lol when i use the javelin i pretend like im hunting shifted and everything lol

I like this idea!

I don't think cows should always runaway from you... only if you scare them -by running towards them, screaming or hitting them-. Maybe Pigs should work in the same way.

Also, is it possible to get the mobs to have a "social" AI? I mean, for example, if you scare one of the group of cows, shouldn't the entire group runaway from you, instead of only the scared one/s?

I mentioned this somewhere else, but I also think it would be neat if at least domesticated animals could learn to recognize individual players. Flocking to them with happy hearts when they get near, expecting food and petting and stuff. That way it would suck worse to kill them. This is assuming farm animals are going to require more care and time to grow.

I don't think cows should always runaway from you... only if you scare them -by running towards them, screaming or hitting them-. Maybe Pigs should work in the same way.

Also, is it possible to get the mobs to have a "social" AI? I mean, for example, if you scare one of the group of cows, shouldn't the entire group runaway from you, instead of only the scared one/s?

Stampede!

the main reason i wanted this is for the challenge to hunting as i mentioned and

thats another thing i wanted but didnt say because i forgot

how about wild animals flee but you are able to tame certain animals over time and ever breed them to get domesticated versions, so you start off with the ansestor of a cow and after sevral breeding attempts you get a domesticated cow. pigs would be similar, but chickens would be basicaly wild the entire time, skitish like cats and everything but if you domesticate them they get a slight texture change and lay eggs more often. this would mean you would actualy have to take the time to work with animals. if horses are added, breaking them, i hate the idea but it might be necessary, would be needed befoe you could ride them without getting hurled off. taming wolves and breeding them into pupies would be pretty cool. if natural bredding is implemented then natural breeding causes the baby to be the same species as the parent, but if you tame and intervene in the breeding process the babies have a chance of coming out a diffrent breed. so wild animals flee from you unless you move slow and are quite, maybe require line of site and "hearing" coding so that if you move around to much they hear you and run away. tamed wild animals do not flee as often or easily but will still flee if stressed out enough, and domesticated animals do not flee unless hurt and have a social mentality, zombiepigmen and wild wolves have a social coding, if you hurt one they all become hostile. if this is implemented in other animals it could be made to make cows, pigs, and any other mob bioxx sees fit to add it too, then all you would have to change if the need to attack to the need to flee. thus stampedes

how about wild animals flee but you are able to tame certain animals over time and ever breed them to get domesticated versions, so you start off with the ansestor of a cow and after sevral breeding attempts you get a domesticated cow. pigs would be similar, but chickens would be basicaly wild the entire time, skitish like cats and everything but if you domesticate them they get a slight texture change and lay eggs more often. this would mean you would actualy have to take the time to work with animals. if horses are added, breaking them, i hate the idea but it might be necessary, would be needed befoe you could ride them without getting hurled off. taming wolves and breeding them into pupies would be pretty cool. if natural bredding is implemented then natural breeding causes the baby to be the same species as the parent, but if you tame and intervene in the breeding process the babies have a chance of coming out a diffrent breed. so wild animals flee from you unless you move slow and are quite, maybe require line of site and "hearing" coding so that if you move around to much they hear you and run away. tamed wild animals do not flee as often or easily but will still flee if stressed out enough, and domesticated animals do not flee unless hurt and have a social mentality, zombiepigmen and wild wolves have a social coding, if you hurt one they all become hostile. if this is implemented in other animals it could be made to make cows, pigs, and any other mob bioxx sees fit to add it too, then all you would have to change if the need to attack to the need to flee. thus stampedes

yeah i like all this, i dont know how easy it would be to add the line of sight coding or hearing and if thats the case then you would have to change the animals AI to make them easier to sneak up because right now if you tried sneaking up from behind then they would turn to you extremely fast

+1 , but to me...when i hit a animal...they seem to come at me like they are attacking but no damage. makes killin them easy xD

Think they want to die

Wouldn't mind having to set traps to catch wild game. Hunting large game would require some better equipment and hunting skills (i.e. sneakiness).

Fish that actually swim around would be pretty fun to throw javelins at.

Fish that actually swim around would be pretty fun to throw javelins at.

And sharks that Om nom nom your boats would be fun too, the fish would make aquariums interesting if you could catch them in a net or bucket.

And sharks that Om nom nom your boats would be fun too, the fish would make aquariums interesting if you could catch them in a net or bucket.

the fishes could work the same way as in tropicraft

I am currently reworking all mob AI and making new mobs. This includes taming. The passive mobs in TFC are being overhauled. Mobs will now have "wild" versions which in some cases may be hostile. "taming" will be different, you will be able to lure mobs with wheat but these are not "tame". Selective breeding (this will be a thing) will result (eventually, if you know what you're doing) with a generation of domesticated mobs which produce more resources (meat, for example) than their wild cousins and will not run away. eg Aurochs --> cow

- dunkle snip -

Three quick questions...

Will mob younglings take longer to grow into adults than in vanilla?

Will we be able to tag mobs with nameplates?

Will the amount of care invested modify mob drops? (IE: >XX Feedings [Limit 1 feeding per day] = 100% Drops)

Three quick questions...

Will mob younglings take longer to grow into adults than in vanilla?

Will we be able to tag mobs with nameplates?

Will the amount of care invested modify mob drops? (IE: >XX Feedings [Limit 1 feeding per day] = 100% Drops)

I can tell you what I've already done: mobs will have genders. Mobs will vary in size (between individuals of the same species and gender). Size and agressiveness are inheritable. Mobs will get pregnant and not give birth for many months(currently no way to tell if a mob is pregnant) mobs will take MUCH longer to mature and will slowly increase in size from the day they are born til they are an adult.

- dunkle snip -

Woah. (That's pretty amazing.) ...Though, I think when it comes to pregnancy terms we can deviate a little bit from what is true-to-life in favour of what is playable in a reasonable amount of time. I mean, like one to three months would be alright. It's good to avoid instant gratification, but over one hundred hours of gameplay for a single mob is a lot to ask for...

Personally I feel one month pregnancy terms, with six months to maturity would be good, but I haven't play-tested anything to be sure.

Woah. (That's pretty amazing.) ...Though, I think when it comes to pregnancy terms we can deviate a little bit from what is true-to-life in favour of what is playable in a reasonable amount of time. I mean, like one to three months would be alright. It's good to avoid instant gratification, but over one hundred hours of gameplay for a single mob is a lot to ask for...

Personally I feel one month pregnancy terms, with six months to maturity would be good, but I haven't play-tested anything to be sure.

Unfortunately, realism in this regard isn't as negotiable =P it seems breeding animals is going to become something that can only really be done in SMP, if a server is left on constantly. A TFC year lasts for just over 5 real days, so in that regard, pregnancy isn't THAT hard...

Unfortunately, realism in this regard isn't as negotiable =P it seems breeding animals is going to become something that can only really be done in SMP, if a server is left on constantly. A TFC year lasts for just over 5 real days, so in that regard, pregnancy isn't THAT hard...

That is unfortunate. ...If you could add some kind of debug/cheats-only speed-pregnancy/age-up item, for single-player people...for whom an in-game year can drag on for several real-time months, that would be appreciated. Extra points if the items are only usable after a certain point during the pregnancy/life-cycle so it's only half-cheating. :U

That is unfortunate. ...If you could add some kind of debug/cheats-only speed-pregnancy/age-up item, for single-player people...for whom an in-game year can drag on for several real-time months, that would be appreciated. Extra points if the items are only usable after a certain point during the pregnancy/life-cycle so it's only half-cheating. :U

I'll make the mobs use the in-game clock that bioxx uses for seasons or something so that SSP cheats can make animals age or give birth faster

Or enchantments............

I just love this idea. I would like to add that farm animal should need to be fed.

Since Terrafirmacraft is about realism what about adding a hunger bar to any domesticated animal? The idea is that to make an animal farm you should have to feed them or they would despawn. That would make a lot more sense. Their hunger bar should last a few days so is not like they would die just because you skip a day.

I just love this idea. I would like to add that farm animal should need to be fed.

Since Terrafirmacraft is about realism what about adding a hunger bar to any domesticated animal? The idea is that to make an animal farm you should have to feed them or they would despawn. That would make a lot more sense. Their hunger bar should last a few days so is not like they would die just because you skip a day.

Well-spoken. +1