Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
TaeoG

Taeo's WIP addons - TerraThaumcraft, TTFCAPI, TTFCMat

722 posts in this topic

I second the praise.  I love the recent updates you have been giving.  It really pumps up the excitement.

There was been a lot of progress so far from this add-on and I love it. Also what is the difference between a wisp and an aura node

8 hours ago, CALEBXD101 said:

what is the difference between a wisp and an aura node

An aura node is a feature of the world, essentially a block that stores magical energy for the area.

A wisp is a mob that spawns in certain magical locations, or anywhere where the local magical energy has become too high or unstable. They come in different colors and while all of them can attack, only some of them start out as hostile.

Aura nodes tend to be harder to see without magical lenses, while wisps are pretty conspicuous, like the one in the screenshot. Look up Thaumcraft 4 for more info, as I fear I'm taking up too much space in this thread explaining already.

Thanks for the encouragement guys, its always helpful to know I'm not just plugging away at this for myself.

Currently messing with the silverwood trees. They're generating, and even have the knot where a pure aura node should be, yet the node isn't in there. Not sure why, this will take some digging.

Spoiler

KbMz7Xp.png

well, that was easy enough. Now just to make it work with TFC axes

Spoiler

OtHGmgh.png

Silverwood Knots with aura nodes in them act.... unpredictably, when they're modeled after TFC wood. Currently if you chop down a silverwood tree with a knot in it, the knot stays behind. However, maybe 50% of the time the block just disappears after a few seconds. I honestly have no idea why, pretty sure that's TFC wood behaviour. The other 50% of the time it remains floating there, to be captured or left alone.

EDIT:  Yes, it was the code TFC has to prevent floating trees. A natural log (one that generated, not placed) will disappear when it ticks, if it has no other blocks around it. The reason why some blocks appeared to remain is simply because they hadn't ticked yet. Anyways, added a clause for silverwood knots to ignore that code, so it works now. Silverwood trees are, as far as I'm concerned, complete.

Edited by TaeoG

The wand caps have all been implemented, and all the wand foci aside from the damage dealing ones should work as is. The focus right now is getting world gen ironed out, but the ice/fire/lightning wand foci will come shortly after that

Cause I was thinking that, because you need iron nuggets and that is implemented in the TFC tech add-on...  

none of the wand caps in my crossover use nuggets. They have a special anvil recipe. If I remember correctly (its been a while since I coded them) you get 2 caps from one iron bar. This means they're technically 1 nugget more expensive to make per pair, but hey, everything's a little harder in TerraFirmaCraft.

EDIT: my math was off, its one nugget cheaper!

Edited by TaeoG

Oh cool. Good to know that the anvil will be put to use in this addon.

Coloring the foliage is a lot harder than I expected. Kitty gave me an excellent Idea to allow me to alter her blocks' rendering behaviour without overwriting the base classes, so thats now a breeze. The problem is Thaumcraft foliage is colored by biome, while TerraFirmaCraft foliage is colored by season. Its quite hard to have the colors properly merge between regular biomes and the magic ones on the borders if I have my rendering code only kick in on magic biomes. Harder yet if I want to make the magic biome colors ALSO respond to seasonal changes. I mean, I could run both sets of code separately and merge their results to get a final color, but that essentially means doubling the work it takes to render those blocks, which will likely be a huge performance hit.

Looks like I'm probably gonna be rewriting the rendering code from scratch. Bugger.

Well it took me a while to figure out the best way to mix these colors properly, but we're making strong headway.

Spoiler

ZcJgLVc.png

here you can see the leaf gradient as it looks in the fall. You'll notice that the leaves that are completely within the magic biomes don't change color due to season. This seems to be the way it works best without any strange mixes, and helps keep those biomes unique.

Spoiler

diJ7m15.png

Does TFC grass not turn white when there is snow on it, or did I screw something up?

Well, I think the custom rendering is finished. All grass, tallgrass, ferns, leaves, claygrass etc now render the appropriate color for season and/or biome. Next I'll be moving on to porting all the monsters over, which should be ridiculously simple. (fingers crossed)

Spoiler

7p08tcs.png

RNKbWCo.png

hmm, yes, I did promise an alpha release when the world gen is done didn't I? Alright, I'll focus on the Eldritch dimension, treasure chest generation, block aspects, and removing the last few base edits I have left.

EDIT: OH, and I have to update the version of TFC I'm building off of, it's had a handful of updates since I set up my coding environment, and I know for a fact they've broken a few of my things.

Edited by TaeoG

*spooky music intensifies*

Spoiler

spX4fpB.png

whoops, almost forgot to fix the water rendering too. I also didn't do anything about flowers and cat-tails that appear in tainted biomes. Still not sure if I will.

Spoiler

LEdh0sM.png

My cobblestone has spontaneously developed the means of collapsing on itself, even though I specifically coded it not to be able to. I haven't changed anything in the cobblestone code in a week, yet today out of nowhere it starts collapsing.

I have no idea whats going on, I guess its time for bed. I'll look at it again after work tomorrow.

8 hours ago, TaeoG said:

*spooky music intensifies*

Reveal hidden contents

spX4fpB.png

:0 *dun dun duuuuuuu!* Now to see if it actually is stable in there!

Its stable.  Runs smoothly, no crashes, everything generates as it should.

HOWEVER, going into another dimension screws up your inventory, and you can't fix it without leaving the dimension and relogging. Your inventory still works, the UI just stops updating properly. This is a problem thats deeply rooted in how TFC is coded, and is well outside of my jurisdiction to fix.

As far as things go, its a minor enough issue. Annoying, but not game breaking, so I'm going to call the Eldritch dimension functional.

Whoops, almost forgot to add this stuff

Spoiler

MsMTgZB.png