Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
TaeoG

Taeo's WIP addons - TerraThaumcraft, TTFCAPI, TTFCMat

722 posts in this topic

How configurable is this add-on? In particular, is it possible to disable the world gen features? I have a pack I'm making, and I have my own ideas for implementing all that.

Also, how difficult would it be to make it so that your crucibles require a fluid other then water, and making that either a config option or adding your own fluid that it can be configured to?

EDIT: Also, have you made any changes to how the vanilla Thaumcraft essentia-smelting Arcane Furnace works? Or is it just like how it is in vanilla Thaumcraft?

Edited by abculatter_2

9 hours ago, abculatter_2 said:

How configurable is this add-on? In particular, is it possible to disable the world gen features? I have a pack I'm making, and I have my own ideas for implementing all that.

Also, how difficult would it be to make it so that your crucibles require a fluid other then water, and making that either a config option or adding your own fluid that it can be configured to?

EDIT: Also, have you made any changes to how the vanilla Thaumcraft essentia-smelting Arcane Furnace works? Or is it just like how it is in vanilla Thaumcraft?

Currently 100% non-configurable, but that will change before Beta release. I can add a configuration to disable the world-gen if you want, but that is honestly the bulk of this port.

What fluid would you want to use in the crucible? It would have to be a Forge Fluid, and you would have to fill it with a Forge Fluid Container item at the minimum. I'd have to redo the render code if it was going to be anything other than water

Arcane furnace is completely unchanged, and will remain that way I imagine. I don't see any potential incompatibility between it and TFC, and the changes I've made to the aspect system are universal across all devices, ie thaumometer, crucible, etc.

22 hours ago, TaeoG said:

good to know. I'm not surprised the special crafting handlers for stuff like chisels and saws would break enchantments, they had no plans of including enchantments! I can probably fix it, and will likely have to.

Enchantments are a pretty low priority for me, so I haven't even looked into what hurdles I'll have to cross. Getting the old enchanting back will be as simple as adding a recipe to craft the table, but as for fixing enchantments... well that depends on whether they even need it, and how hardcoded they are. We will see. 

The sharpness enchantment raises damage by a fixed number, as well as any damage-related enchantment. Efficiency will probably need to be recoded for TFC stone and wood and dirt, things like respiration and fire aspect should be already done.

Just now, dittoisepic said:

The sharpness enchantment raises damage by a fixed number, as well as any damage-related enchantment. Efficiency will probably need to be recoded for TFC stone and wood and dirt, things like respiration and fire aspect should be already done.

well, here's hoping I can just override them like I did the status effects

Just now, TaeoG said:

well, here's hoping I can just override them like I did the status effects

Hopefully.

Spent my free time today pulling my more generic, less thaumcraft related code out into a separate mod, so that I can use it as a base for a few other ports I have in mind.  Hopefully I'll end up with a fairly useful API when all is said and done.

9 hours ago, CALEBXD101 said:

Can't wait to see these ideas.

heh, well one of the hurdles to cross is that many of the mods I want to make truly compatible with TFC use aluminum... which is not easy to make IRL. I've done a lot of research and am trying to narrow down the production process to something fairly simple, but its slow going, haha.

Spoiler

OnEkbEV.png

21 hours ago, TaeoG said:

heh, well one of the hurdles to cross is that many of the mods I want to make truly compatible with TFC use aluminum... which is not easy to make IRL. I've done a lot of research and am trying to narrow down the production process to something fairly simple, but its slow going, haha.

Hide contents

OnEkbEV.png

Let's not.

On 9/4/2016 at 9:32 AM, dittoisepic said:

Let's not.

lol you're right, it would look more like this :^)

Spoiler

KKbhHim.png

But really the problem is that aluminum needs electricity to be produced. You could skip 99% and just let kaolinite or rubies and sapphires get melted into aluminum oxide, or even add Corundum mineral as a mineable ore for that purpose, but that last step isn't possible. So do I add a whole chemistry/electricity mechanic? I've noticed the udary mod has a basic battery/reduction pot setup, as does TFCTech.

Anyways, doesn't matter, its out of the scope of this addon, its just something I'm working on on the side as my own server gets closer to reality.

On 9/3/2016 at 11:32 AM, TaeoG said:

Reveal hidden contents

OnEkbEV.png

I am using the Arc Furnace from Immersive Engineering to simulate IRL Aluminum smelting.

Quick question. Why were the wooden chests from TerraThaumcraft removed in the latest update? Its caused a huge issue with our storage warehouse.

7 hours ago, OneWolfe said:

Quick question. Why were the wooden chests from TerraThaumcraft removed in the latest update? Its caused a huge issue with our storage warehouse.

I had a lot of issues with things like logs not working as expected since things like kilns and fireplaces will only work with TFC logs specifically instead of things that extend TFC logs. I found that inserting greatwood and silverwood into the the list of wood types that TFC stores, at the right time, causes greatwood and silverwood versions of all the wood blocks to create themselves, ones that are natively compatible. So I gave them the right textures and recipes and removed the now redundant TerraThaumcraft versions.

I'm sorry for your storage area, I would recommend rolling back to a backup and a previous version of TTC to get those items and put them somewhere else for the update, if it is truly important. I mentioned in a previous post that a lot of blocks would go missing with the newer versions, but it stands to repeat. In the alpha builds there is a high possibility of newer builds breaking saves or making things disappear.  I'm kinda between a rock and a hard place at this point. I want to minimize the amount of TFC code I alter for compatibility reasons, so adding two names to an array of strings rather than reimplementing dozens of items/blocks/tileentities is the most viable option at the moment, but if I find that doing the latter is absolutely required before I reach beta (due to testing or feature requirements etc) I may go back to that approach. 

Thank you again for testing my alpha builds, please don't be discouraged. I'll make a note to make specific mention when I believe a particular new build will break something.

Hey, sorry if this has been answered before, but in the most recent version, is there any way to make a table/research table?

28 minutes ago, KnaveErrant said:

Hey, sorry if this has been answered before, but in the most recent version, is there any way to make a table/research table?

research table is made how it always has been, with two tables and some scribing tools, its mentioned  in the thaumonomicon.

A table is made in the crafting grid with a couple rows of any lumber and some planks in the bottom corners. You can find the recipe using recipe mods like NEI if my description doesn't make sense.

It made plenty of sense, thanks! I'll reinstall NEI, I had removed it while testing the build that had the time issue in an effort to isolate the problem and had never put it back in for some reason. 

Side note: I know that the point of Terrafirmacraft is to add challenge, but are there any plans for rebalancing some early-progression recipes? Even things like paper and feathers can be hard to come by in TFC, but are essential for most Thaumcraft basics. I already generate bunches of worlds before I pick one. I know this is a personal project and you're still in alpha, but is the intention to leave these recipes as they are? If so that's fine, I'm just curious. I honestly don't even know how I'd address the paper issue.

Honestly, asking this is making me consider an addon myself - doing things like spawning feathers as rare debris or leaf block drops and adding a jute/straw alternative to making paper (grind them and soak them in water, get blobs of pulp you can lay out to dry into paper). I have little experience in this but I might try.

How rare are the Silverwood Trees? I have yet to see any of them in all of my test worlds.

EDIT: I have run across thousands of Greatwood Trees and Hundreds of Obsidian Obelisks and a few Thaumcraft Dungeons, but I have not seen a single Silverwood tree. :( 

Edited by OneWolfe

2 hours ago, OneWolfe said:

How rare are the Silverwood Trees? I have yet to see any of them in all of my test worlds.

EDIT: I have run across thousands of Greatwood Trees and Hundreds of Obsidian Obelisks and a few Thaumcraft Dungeons, but I have not seen a single Silverwood tree. :( 

silverwood trees only spawn in magic biomes, which I do believe is standard behaviour for them. If you're having trouble finding those biomes I can add a config option in the future to print out a "biome map" that shows you where they are, like I posted much earlier in this thread (the black picture with some white splotches in it)

2 hours ago, KnaveErrant said:

It made plenty of sense, thanks! I'll reinstall NEI, I had removed it while testing the build that had the time issue in an effort to isolate the problem and had never put it back in for some reason. 

Side note: I know that the point of Terrafirmacraft is to add challenge, but are there any plans for rebalancing some early-progression recipes? Even things like paper and feathers can be hard to come by in TFC, but are essential for most Thaumcraft basics. I already generate bunches of worlds before I pick one. I know this is a personal project and you're still in alpha, but is the intention to leave these recipes as they are? If so that's fine, I'm just curious. I honestly don't even know how I'd address the paper issue.

Honestly, asking this is making me consider an addon myself - doing things like spawning feathers as rare debris or leaf block drops and adding a jute/straw alternative to making paper (grind them and soak them in water, get blobs of pulp you can lay out to dry into paper). I have little experience in this but I might try.

This is a tricky subject, one that I've been mulling over for some time. There are.... peculiar design choices in TFC. Not only when it comes to the way things are implemented at a code level, but also in terms of gameplay. I myself spent weeks looking for a chicken at one point, combed hundreds of square km looking for kaolinite, etc. When Kitty said they were abandoning TFC1 I considered picking up the project myself. However she's explained that I, or anyone else who took over development, would not be allowed to use these forums to spread their versions. Understandable but also very discouraging.

The short answer is no, I will not be "fixing" any of these particular issues within this addon specifically, they're just not within the scope of making thaumcraft work nice. However, I have other projects in the works that might. Even this crossover has been split into 3 pieces. One piece that is just reimplemented bits of thaumcraft, one piece that handles fairly standard materials like nuggets, and a core mod that alters TFC directly, adding api features and fixing bugs. This third piece may end up becoming a lot bigger than any of the others. I just have to decide what is more important to me: compatibility with other addons, or ease of implementation of my own addons. These things aren't mutually exclusive, but sacrifices have to be made to lean either way.

Take for example the chest issue that was just brought up. In an attempt to focus on compatibility I removed hundreds of lines of my own code, and did some hacky nonsense to cram my code in where it wasn't expected. What I would rather do is reimplement all the wood items so that none of this is necessary, and I or anyone else who wanted to add a new tree could do it easily without having to jump the hurdles I've had to jump. But doing so would mean anyone who adds a tree without using my system has a decent chance of being incompatible. I really wish I had implemented these API changes when it was still possible to do a pull request into the main mod.

As always, I've been extremely verbose without really explaining myself, apologies for that. Gonna post it anyway since I took the time to write it.

5 minutes ago, TaeoG said:

silverwood trees only spawn in magic biomes, which I do believe is standard behaviour for them. If you're having trouble finding those biomes I can add a config option in the future to print out a "biome map" that shows you where they are, like I posted much earlier in this thread (the black picture with some white splotches in it)

Yes the lack of Silverwood trees makes the mod impossible to test let alone make any progress in survival. :(

1 minute ago, OneWolfe said:

Yes the lack of Silverwood trees makes the mod impossible to test let alone make any progress in survival. :(

haha, they do exist, you just gotta find them :^)

Spoiler

7p08tcs.png

Correct me if I'm wrong, but silverwoods don't spawn in normal biomes in vanilla thaumcraft, do they? I didn't see anything like that in the spawn code, but I may have missed it.

6 minutes ago, TaeoG said:

haha, they do exist, you just gotta find them :^)

Reveal hidden contents

7p08tcs.png

Correct me if I'm wrong, but silverwoods don't spawn in normal biomes in vanilla thaumcraft, do they? I didn't see anything like that in the spawn code, but I may have missed it.

I just remember the last time I played Thaumcraft they were not that hard to find. Its just that I have spent an entire weekend searching new worlds, flying thousands of blocks in all directions and never once saw a magic biome or single Silverwood tree :( 

And again today I was flying all over the Streaming server, loading new chunks, and didnt see anything.

It is my understanding that Silverwood Should spawn in normal biomes, just very rarely. I would guess 100 times more rare than Greatwoods...

EDIT: Maybe increase the rate of magic biomes? Or make it configurable?

Edited by OneWolfe

49 minutes ago, OneWolfe said:

I just remember the last time I played Thaumcraft they were not that hard to find. Its just that I have spent an entire weekend searching new worlds, flying thousands of blocks in all directions and never once saw a magic biome or single Silverwood tree :( 

And again today I was flying all over the Streaming server, loading new chunks, and didnt see anything.

It is my understanding that Silverwood Should spawn in normal biomes, just very rarely. I would guess 100 times more rare than Greatwoods...

I'll double check the code, see if I can find that spawning instance. I'll also add a TODO to make a config option for larger magic biomes. I was pretty sure I found a sweet spot where the biomes were just large and just common enough but it wouldn't  hurt to leave that to the player.

Edited by TaeoG

heads up to anyone using the alpha builds... there is a bug with the magic biome generation. Pretty serious one. Doesn't crop up if you're just running thaumcraft, but when you have other mods that also have world gen, it can cause a crash when a chunk with a magic forest on it is getting built.

This is a very difficult bug to fix, it may take me a while to fix it (if it's even fixable, honestly it may not be)

I understand your frustration with TFC code, which is why we eventually forked it and run a custom build. 

First for Thaumcraft. I'm pretty sure in the 1.7.10 version of Thaumcraft and possibly 1.6.4 Silverwoods are only found in magical biomes. The differences usually folks have biome mods that add other magical biomes, so they are less rare. 

A question. Can you find shards and other Thaumcraft ores with propick? Are you running into issue with propick code ignoring meta of blocks that aren't TFC ores.