Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
TaeoG

Taeo's WIP addons - TerraThaumcraft, TTFCAPI, TTFCMat

722 posts in this topic

I saw your shards post a bit ago and that they come in one type veins. So i have a proposal. Magical meteors. They would be small to medium in size and they would generate under ground they would have random types of shards and the most important, balanced shards. It would be the only way to obtain balanced shards or atleast big quantities of it. they would be rare-ish but they mainly generate underground. And rarely generate on the surface 

I saw your shards post a bit ago and that they come in one type veins. So i have a proposal. Magical meteors. They would be small to medium in size and they would generate under ground they would have random types of shards and the most important, balanced shards. It would be the only way to obtain balanced shards or atleast big quantities of it. they would be rare-ish but they mainly generate underground. And rarely generate on the surface 

Ah, thanks for the reply. I had an idea about shards, but I'm not yet completely sure of it being a good idea. I was thinking of shards generating more TFC-like, so when there were shards underground, you would find loose shard fragments on the surface. These fragments alone can't be used for crafting, but they are a useful small source of essentia. They would contain about half or less of the essentia of a normal shard, and they would also tell you where shards can be found, pretty much like loose ores.

[...] I had this question. Do the crystal shards too generate in a TFC style? So veins, loose ores on the surface and so on? 

EDIT: tl;dr yes.

Well, the main differences between mining in Vanilla and mining in TFC is that TFC has more than twice as much stone to look through, and mining is a slower, more careful process. The end result is that ore is much harder to find. TFC solves this through having large veins, the prospectors pick, and surface ore.

I pondered over how to solve the issue. Obviously I had to make the veins larger, the 2-10 pieces you find normally would be impossible to locate. Now, you can't just add 10x the amount of Ore and still allow the same drop rate from mining it, that would mess with balance horrifically. So each infused stone block only drops a portion of a shard, which you then need to reconstitute through some means. This is something that needs a lot of consideration. I had thought to use a barrel recipe, but of course pottery, or some kind of "magic bloom" is also an option, but balance has to be kept in mind. Still working on that.

Also, I had to make the prospector's pick see the shards, which was pretty simple to fix. The elemental pickaxe does as well.

As for the bits of ore debris you find on the surface to indicate a vein, I'm uncertain whether or not to add that for infused stone, as kaolinite and such don't have surface ores (as far as I know). Instead, I've decided to repurpose the TC spawning system, ie based on biome.

The basic concept is this:

• infused stone will come in grades, like ore does. Poor, normal, and better. Like ores, this will determine how much of it you need to make the shards.
  • poor infused stone, of any kind, can be found anywhere. Any rock, any depth. This should help make it easier to find in general, and emulates vanilla TC behaviour
  • Normal or better infused stone can be found in areas that exhibit their element. TC already has a system like this, however I had to reimplement it. TFC doesn't have biomes in the traditional minecraft sense. Whether or not an area is barren, dry, forest, jungle etc is based on the climate in the region, not the biome. So earth stones for example spawn better in areas where the climate is sufficient to support the trees that are supposed to spawn there, rather than simply spawning in a "forest biome".

Now as I mentioned before, having the poor stone spawn seems to be messing with the generation of the better stone, so it needs some work. I may simply just remove the poor spawns entirely, which would require players to travel, perhaps a considerable ways, to find the right type of shard, in true TFC fashion. If this is the case, I will add surface ore to make things easier (maybe some kind of water infused coral for water shards?) as well as either making it more common or larger veins.

i wish this to be finished i enjoy the thaum craft mod so much! is there thaumic meter where you have to research everything stable?

I'm afraid I don't understand your question.

Edited by TaeoG

I hope this is still alive. I would hate to see another thaumcraft addon to go to waste

Slightly offtopic from this thread, but it relates to thaumcraft. Thaumcraft 5(1.8) is now in beta and is rumored to be released endish of october according the FTB wiki, and here is a let's play of it. This video literally just got posted. :D

I hope this is still alive. I would hate to see another thaumcraft addon to go to waste

Haha, don't worry, its not dead. Currently bashing my head against the nether, trying to get it to work. Unfortunately, the performance while in the nether is horrendously bad, with no easy fix in sight. Been trying to profile the server to try to find the exact culprit, but its not easy. Kittychanley has offered some insight.

As I mentioned in the root of this thread, my goal with this crossover is to have it work seamlessly, without having to sacrifice any features of Thaumcraft. Most other compatibility patches and such simply add new crafting recipes and call it a day. I don't want to take that route, but due to some design choices with TFC, unless I want to do a pull request that revamps large sections of TFC, it may not be feasible to get the nether working in an acceptable way. So I'm left with trying to figure out a good way to handle the collection of quartz, blaze rods, netherwart and nether stars. Something more involved than just alternate recipes.

I'm welcome to ideas.

Slightly offtopic from this thread, but it relates to thaumcraft. Thaumcraft 5(1.8) is now in beta and is rumored to be released endish of october according the FTB wiki, and here is a let's play of it. This video literally just got posted. :D

Neat. If I ever give 1.8+ a chance I'll be installing Thaumcraft first, as always.

Edited by TaeoG

Unfortunately I have not played TC since 1.6.4 and have no real idea what has changed.

For Quartz I suggest adding a new ore into the world that would provide it. The other bits are a bit more of a challenge. I wonder if you could have specific events that would cause the javelin skeletons to drop skulls. Something like a full moon and below y=60. Then rebalance the wither to TFC standards.

As for the soulsand and nether wart. I wonder if you could have a recipe, within TC that used the mortis etc and turned sand into soul sand. Then have it some way to have nether wart spawn on it either randomly or via some ritual or specific conditions. As for blaze rods I seem to remember some mean mobs that do some ritual circle, could have them summon blaze as minions or something. Either that or have them spawn in lava at night.

Random thoughts out of my brain.

Adding a quartz ore would be easy enough. I'd likely make them spawn in regions with high volcanic activity. I need to do that for my super secret applied energistics crossover as well, so I may incorporate it in a base mod.

I really like the idea of making it so only skeletons deep underground will drop the heads, that works for me. They'll be easier to get (I honestly can't remember the last time I saw a wither skeleton), but not too easy.

Spawning Blazes/magma slimes near lava shouldn't be too hard, people always end up farming the damn things in the nether anyway so I don't really see it being a balance problem to have them spawn on the mainland. As far as I know the Blaze already has a TFC version I can use.

The wither may be a problem, I have a sneaking suspicion that without the netherrack roof to keep him relatively close, he may just nuke players from the stratosphere, I'll have to check on his pathfinding.

Anyways, good ideas Bunsan.

Thanks. Im glad this is still alive. Imagine, a 10k health wither :0

I hope it isn't immune to projectiles(piercing damage), that would be so difficult to fight. :P

I think it should be weak to projectiles and oh yeah, what about the bow of bone? Will you amplify the damage and reduce the firing speed by a little? For balancing sake. Or just possibly remove it all together

Players regularly fight the wither in the overworld in vanilla. They do have the benefit of potions and such, but that just means you have to balance it to not having potions.

The vanilla behaviour of wither I think that they are resistant to melee at first until they are half health at which point they tend to charge the player and you whack it with your sword.

It actually would be easier if it did fly up as you could plink it with arrows. I certainly find TFC arrows to be easier to aim and we all know the damage they cause.

For blaze rods it would be cool if you could place or hang some sort of stick or wand core near a lava pool, and have it eventually get covered in sulfur, which would make it into a blaze rod.
Soul sand could either be infused/alchemied into existence, or perhaps it could spawn deep underground near volcanic areas. Or, you could make peat into soulsand. It is fairly brown and soulful.
Netherwart would probably have to be some sort of recipe involving mushrooms. The other thing that could be cool for netherwart, is maybe if you kill mobs on soul sand, instead of dropping loot, they are 'absorbed' by the sand and netherwart starts to sprout.

Players regularly fight the wither in the overworld in vanilla. They do have the benefit of potions and such, but that just means you have to balance it to not having potions.

The vanilla behaviour of wither I think that they are resistant to melee at first until they are half health at which point they tend to charge the player and you whack it with your sword.

It actually would be easier if it did fly up as you could plink it with arrows. I certainly find TFC arrows to be easier to aim and we all know the damage they cause.

Actually its not resistant to mele at all it gets resistant to projectiles as its health gets lower

For blaze rods it would be cool if you could place or hang some sort of stick or wand core near a lava pool, and have it eventually get covered in sulfur, which would make it into a blaze rod.

Soul sand could either be infused/alchemied into existence, or perhaps it could spawn deep underground near volcanic areas. Or, you could make peat into soulsand. It is fairly brown and soulful.

Netherwart would probably have to be some sort of recipe involving mushrooms. The other thing that could be cool for netherwart, is maybe if you kill mobs on soul sand, instead of dropping loot, they are 'absorbed' by the sand and netherwart starts to sprout.

hmm, I like the blaze rod idea, simply because it would give the drying rack another use. But I also think blazes are important too. I'm not sure whether to prioritize the TFC way (craft it yourself from mundane components) or the Thaumcraft way (fight sick fire elementals in hell for their core essence). I'm leaning towards the Blazes though, since this is a magic mod after all and TFC is largely devoid of magic.

I was thinking of making Netherwart a type of TFC crop, and turn soulsand into a specialized farmland, but how to actually get the first bits of nether wart had eluded me. What you suggested just might work. Not gonna go with peat -> soulsand however, simply because I've never seen the damn stuff, haha.

I'll have to look at the Thaumcraft progression and find out where netherwart is actually needed and choose a method of creating soulsand that makes sense. I obviously don't want to do anything stupid like make the creation of soulsand require the essentia you get from netherwart.

a release date for this addon would be great.

heh, I agree. Don't got one though, as solo project timeframes are nigh-impossible to properly estimate. I wanted to have it done by now but unforseen problems, both in the code bases and in my life have gotten in the way, as they are wont to do. I had hoped keeping people apprised of progress here in this thread would be helpful.

Fixed the OP, for some reason at some point the forum software added semicolons to the color codes, breaking all of them

Mostly lurking, but I'm briefly dropping in to say I'm glad that this hasn't died. I'll certainly be using it, if it's released.

instead of using lava pools for blaze rods why not sulfur in a crucible filled with lava?

instead of using lava pools for blaze rods why not sulfur in a crucible filled with lava?

hmmm, that would require the player be at the very end of the TFC tech tree (Blue steel lava bucket). I think that might be pushing it a bit. How far in the Thaumcraft tech tree do you have to be to need blazerods? Unfortunately I'm out of town for a week or two and can't fire up MC

Blaze rods arent really neccesary unless for blaze wand cores to my knowledge. Hmm your right about the lava part, maybe a thaumium bucket or something that can pick up water infinite amount of times but lava 1 or 2 times

It really does sound like I'm going to have to separate the thaumium items into thaumium/iron and thaumium/steel so I can keep the progressions fairly balanced. 

Here's my concept

Thaumic Steel

• will be a purple steel, obviously a mix of red and blue that is then either thrown in the crucible with praecantatio or infused by some means, not sure.
  • a bucket made from it can be used to move water and lava
  • it would be needed for the higher-end thaumium items, like fortress armor and elemental tools
  • I'd probably add another tier of basic tools for it, so you can get the benefit of thaumium with the durability of steel

Normal thaumium, made from wrought iron and praecantatio obviously, will be used for most everything else that thaumium already is used for.

That way the tech trees will stay fairly closely knit, for example people won't be making Elemental pickaxes when they haven't even made black steel yet.

If blaze rods are only needed for the core (if I remember correctly it only has ignis in it which you can easily get from charcoal), then I won't worry about putting its creation high up in the TFC tech tree. Probably just a simple recipe with sulfur and sticks, with the added bonus of having blazes spawn near lava that also drop completed rods.

Instead of having thaumium an iron/steel metal, why not have normal thaumium (not steel) be an alloy other than iron primarily? Sure it will be iron based but it would need a bit of gold and copper. Than some "magical flux" to finish it off. Making thaumic steel would be a rienforced version of this

basic thaumium items are just iron with a few extra properties, I believe requiring it to be an alloy would again start to bump it up the progression tree a little far. I could be convinced, but it would require some reasoning. That being said, requiring a player have access to all the metals and materials needed to make all the colored steels just to make some fortress armor also seems like it may be a bit overkill, so my concept isn't quite ironed out yet, no pun intended.