Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
TaeoG

Taeo's WIP addons - TerraThaumcraft, TTFCAPI, TTFCMat

722 posts in this topic

Since other dimensions are not compatible in TFC how are you going to do the eldrtich dimension for primordial pearls?

Since other dimensions are not compatible in TFC how are you going to do the eldrtich dimension for primordial pearls?

Actually, they just fixed the nether (and possibly the end)  in a recent patch I believe.

EDIT: I was wrong, my mistake. :)

Edited by Ancaladar

Когда этот аддон уже можно будет скачать?

Actually, they just fixed the nether (and possibly the end) in a recent patch I believe.

They aren't fixed, they are just less likely to crash and/or corrupt your save.

Actually, they just fixed the nether (and possibly the end)  in a recent patch I believe.

No, we didn't.

79.24 Change Log:

• Fixed a bunch of crashes related to going to dimensions other than the overworld. However, I still would not recommend travelling to other dimensions, as it is still quite buggy.

Ah, okay, my mistake. Still though, I could travel to the nether and back on our world, so I assumed it was relatively fixed (not to the point of smooth playability, though.)

Its not that they're incompatible, per se, there are just hurdles you have to cross to get them to work properly.

The nether may be a lost cause, it has monumental levels of lag that seems to be caused by the heat updates from the lava. I'd have to make some fairly significant changes to TFC to fix that, and that's not really in my jurisdiction. 

However, the Eldritch doesn't have any lava, and is in fact largely empty except for the generated dungeons, so it shouldn't have the same lag issues. There are a few things I have to fix, and I think it will be good to go

1. fix the NPE caused by the morning fog. Kitty missed it when she was adding dimension checks. I already have a base edit that fixes it, but I'll likely do a pull request if Kitty doesn't catch it first
  2. The dungeon generation is tied to the obelisk generation. Another modder showed me a great way to get that working, I just have to adjust the approach to allow for TFC balanced cultists
  3. obviously I need to balance the mobs and bosses in the eldritch dimension as well

Not a lot of work, but I'll likely have to do it with ASM code injection, which is finicky and unpleasant to work with IMHO.

heh, I agree. Don't got one though, as solo project timeframes are nigh-impossible to properly estimate. I wanted to have it done by now but unforseen problems, both in the code bases and in my life have gotten in the way, as they are wont to do. I had hoped keeping people apprised of progress here in this thread would be helpful.

Heh. I had a bad habit of announcing tommorow for projects that might end up taking weeks with the projects I manage for.... Other games.

Fortunately, the community seems to understand that I tend to get too excited about projects I haven't properly prospected the workloads of, but I can respect a content creator who actually understands that workflow is never at a liniar rate. :D

Its not that they're incompatible, per se, there are just hurdles you have to cross to get them to work properly.

The nether may be a lost cause, it has monumental levels of lag that seems to be caused by the heat updates from the lava. I'd have to make some fairly significant changes to TFC to fix that, and that's not really in my jurisdiction. 

However, the Eldritch doesn't have any lava, and is in fact largely empty except for the generated dungeons, so it shouldn't have the same lag issues. There are a few things I have to fix, and I think it will be good to go

1. fix the NPE caused by the morning fog. Kitty missed it when she was adding dimension checks. I already have a base edit that fixes it, but I'll likely do a pull request if Kitty doesn't catch it first
  2. The dungeon generation is tied to the obelisk generation. Another modder showed me a great way to get that working, I just have to adjust the approach to allow for TFC balanced cultists
  3. obviously I need to balance the mobs and bosses in the eldritch dimension as well

Not a lot of work, but I'll likely have to do it with ASM code injection, which is finicky and unpleasant to work with IMHO.

If I remember correctly, if the nether uses vanilla lava, it's not that bad. TFC lava however, isn't working at all due to the updating of sulphur.

For #2 and #3, use http://www.minecraftforge.net/wiki/Event_Reference#LivingSpawnEvent and adjust the health with EntityLiving.setMaxHealth() and update the current health to match the max health. You can check the entity spawning to see if it's a thaumcraft entity, and then modify it as needed. Throw in some randomness to the max health to make it a bit more interesting :)

tick time goes up to 400ms per tick, standing doing absolutely nothing in a fully loaded radius... the nether is really not working haha.

Using the spawn event is a good idea, however I'd likely use it to replace the mob completely with my own version, as I'd want the mob to respect the damage and armor types that the normal TFC mobs use.

Ah, that's right, I totally forgot about that :P

Subclass the Thaumcraft entities and do your magic with them, and then apply this trick to replace the thaumcraft ones with your when they spawn (totally untested by me) http://www.minecraftforum.net/forums/mapping-and-modding/minecraft-mods/modification-development/2370005-replacing-vanilla-mobs-when-spawned-with-my-own (he makes some mistakes, so the last posts contain working code)

Sure, I'm currently working on ore distribution as I get ready to add quartz and other things to phase out the nether. As you can see, the code is scattering the ore all over the place. I'm inclined to going back to using the code for ore veins instead of minerals, because I'm not sure I like this much. I've also noticed the code tends to put tonnes of stuff near the surface and only rarely has any deep nodes. I'm not sure if that's intentional or not. The hurdles of trying to merge various people's code is you're never quite sure if its actually working the way they originally wanted

up3vGJJ.png

Edited by TaeoG

Actually it looks pretty good to me. Finding more than 1 type of ore in a vein is always nice, like iron and coal in the same 1. hehehe

Yeah, but it completely messes up the prospector pick readings, as by the time you finally start to get large sample  of ore A it starts to get small sample or ore B. 

Eh, maybe. Possibly if the oregen for that ore type detects other types of shard ore within 100 blocks of it or something it would not allow to spawn other types.

its doable, but searching for nearby blocks is actually pretty resource intensive and the generation lag in TFC is already really bad. I just need to find the sweetspot between rarity and node size.

You could just make the ore cluster smaller, who would need That much shards :/

like I mentioned before you have to make the cluster large or they will be too difficult to find. You only get a partial shard per cube

I feel like shards in the vanilla version of Thaumcraft are pretty easy to find. Maybe you could just limit the generation of them so that they do generate in fairly large clusters, but will only do so in certain areas (much like TFC ore spawns right now.) If this were the case, then we need clues as to where they are on the surface. Special flowers? New shard nuggets? All of these would make sense (to me, anyways.) Perhaps greatwood/silverwood trees would spawn more commonly on top of these clusters?

I'm gonna quote myself a bit from page 2 here, adding some emphasis because walls of text aren't fun to read

Well, the main differences between mining in Vanilla and mining in TFC is that TFC has more than twice as much stone to look through, and mining is a slower, more careful process. The end result is that ore is much harder to find. TFC solves this through having large veins, the prospectors pick, and surface ore.

I pondered over how to solve the issue. Obviously I had to make the veins larger, the 2-10 pieces you find normally would be impossible to locate. Now, you can't just add 10x the amount of Ore and still allow the same drop rate from mining it, that would mess with balance horrifically. So each infused stone block only drops a portion of a shard, which you then need to reconstitute through some means. [...]

Also, I had to make the prospector's pick see the shards, which was pretty simple to fix. The elemental pickaxe does as well.

As for the bits of ore debris you find on the surface to indicate a vein, I'm uncertain whether or not to add that for infused stone, as kaolinite and such don't have surface ores (as far as I know). Instead, I've decided to repurpose the TC spawning system, ie based on biome.

The basic concept is this:

• infused stone will come in grades, like ore does. Poor, normal, and better. Like ores, this will determine how much of it you need to make the shards.
  • poor infused stone, of any kind, can be found anywhere. Any rock, any depth. This should help make it easier to find in general, and emulates vanilla TC behaviour
  • Normal or better infused stone can be found in areas that exhibit their element. TC already has a system like this, however I had to reimplement it. TFC doesn't have biomes in the traditional minecraft sense. Whether or not an area is barren, dry, forest, jungle etc is based on the climate in the region, not the biome. So earth stones for example spawn better in areas where the climate is sufficient to support the trees that are supposed to spawn there, rather than simply spawning in a "forest biome".

[...]

The small, scattered veins you see in that picture are the poor quality stone. They only drop a single portion of a shard each. However, if for example you were to go to a place that has lava pools on the surface, you'd likely find large veins of high quality fire stone, dropping multiple pieces or the occasional full shard when mined.

At this point I'm also leaning towards including bits of debris on the surface as well, to show there is a vein deep below.

Greatwoods spawn wherever they please, which they always have done. At the moment I'm working on adding a "magic" biome, and making it work with the TFC way of handling biomes. So for Silverwood trees, they will spawn iff its a magic biome and there is a forest present. I plan on making the magic mushrooms and flowers spawn in any magic biome, regardless of trees.

I could, of course, make so that if you wanted fire shards you would HAVE TO go to an area with volcanic activity, I just don't know how fun that would be for people. I know I get frustrated in TFC combing a hundred square kilometers looking for stuff

Ah, okay, thanks for clearing that up, I didn't really read every single thing in this topic when I replied.

The system you talk about looks like it should work fine. I look forward to mining in volcanic areas for my fire shards and underwater for water shards. :)

Any idea on where ordo shards and aer shards will spawn?

Edited by Ancaladar

Ah, okay, thanks for clearing that up, I didn't really read every single thing in this topic when I replied.

The system you talk about looks like it should work fine. I look forward to mining in volcanic areas for my fire shards and underwater for water shards. :)

Any idea on where ordo shards and aer shards will spawn?

This is the current plan

• fire stone appears in deserts and areas with volcanic activity
  • water stone appears under oceans and lakes
  • earth stone appears in jungle biomes
  • order stone appears in tall mountains
  • Entropy appears in swamps
  • Air stone appears in plains

This keeps behaviour as close to vanilla as possible. swamps are pretty rare though so I've been trying brainstorm other locations where entropy would make sense that don't overlap too heavily with the other types. I have implemented a way for them to spawn around ravines, but I'd hope to come up something that requires less invasive code.

Deserts dont spawn naturally in tfc any more, i believe. I dunno to lazy 2 check the wiki :3