Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
TaeoG

Taeo's WIP addons - TerraThaumcraft, TTFCAPI, TTFCMat

722 posts in this topic

so how much more work needs done on the core features before you would consider putting out an alpha build? or is there a github repository we can build to test the balancing of the features? (feel free to ignore this post, im just excited and eager to use your addon. :P )

I think once world generation is nailed down it will be time for an alpha release.

I do not have a public github for my code, as it is a little embarrassing and messy at the moment, and could use a hefty amount of refactoring. I've tried so many approaches at achieving my goals that things are a little inconsistent in their implementation. Also, I have stepped away from code injection in favour of simply overwriting Thaumcraft and Terrafirmacraft classes with altered versions, and I have to decide which way I want to go in the end. Injection is a pain in the ass to code and test, in my honest opinion, but suffers less from incompatibility issues. The last thing Id want is to be directly incompatible with TC or TFC addons.

I'm sure most of thats gibberish to most people, but its my concern at the moment. Also, I know Kitty has some rules about releasing addons with some of the TFC source code in it, and I'm uncertain if I'm breaking any of them atm. All things to iron out

Thank you for sticking with the development of this addon for so long. Most mod-authors who do crossover addons like this give up after a few months. Keep it up! I'm super stoked to test out the alpha-build! :D

shhh, don't remind me how long I've been at this. Makes me feel guilty about the abundance of time that other things have taken priority.

Lmao. Bright side is its getting closer to being done. ;)

isolating thaumcraft's world generation from being able to directly access the world has proven to be exceedingly difficult. May have to try a different approach.

Spoiler

If anyone has any ideas, let me know. As far as I can tell, Thaumcraft only registers its main generator with minecraft, and calls all the other generators for mounds, trees, totems etc from there. My approach is to pass a phony world object to Thaumcraft's world generator, and use it as a translation layer between TC and Minecraft. To test it, I set the phonyworld to change any and all blocks thaumcraft tries to place into tnt, yet only the mounds turned to tnt, while greatwood trees, and totems and such generated as normal.
For instance, to generate a greatwood tree, ThaumcraftWorldGenerator class goes through .generate->.worldGeneration->.generateSurface->.generateVegetation->WorldGenGreatwoodTrees.generate. At no point are any of those methods called by any other world generation code, so conceivably the world object initially passed to ThaumcraftWorldGenerator.generate should propagate all the way down. Yet somehow Thaumcraft is bypassing my class altogether and accessing the world directly and I don't know how. Bizarre and very frustrating.

Edited by TaeoG

Yes! Finally tracked down the issue. Its something stupid I should have thought of first, but isn't it always. We're making progress again.

Spoiler

AfXBhjG.png

Edited by TaeoG

TFC not having stair or slab blocks is a HUGE pain, as a lot of the Thaumcraft structures use them fairly extensively. My options seem to be to either decypher how the chiseled block TileEntities work and place "stairs" made out of those, or implement a stair type for every stone. Neither is terribly appealing, but vanilla stairs simply won't do.

EDIT: Apparently vanilla stairs are rendered according to their surroundings, and not just their metatype. Makes creating a matching chiseled block pretty much impossible without scanning all the surrounding blocks. Blegh

Edited by TaeoG

Lol, just realized something. TFC dirt doesn't float, so when Thaumcraft generates a mound, it immediately collapses. I'm gonna have to sleep on this one, no idea how to solve that. I mean, I could place the dirt blocks without alerting the blocks around it, which should trick them into staying up, but then what kinds of things would make it collapse anyway? hmmm.

Terrafirmacraft creates those boulders, so I was thinking it could be a good idea to use them instead of regular dirt for the mounds.

No idea how you were able to tweak Thaumcraft to use TFC dirt, but if you switch to stone I think it would work.

kTB7i3u.png

I could do that, but keep in mind that those mounds are considerably larger, and would stick out like a sore thumb if they were stone. It seems like these mounds are supposed to be sort of inconspicuous, with only a small door on the side.

Still thinking about it.

You could generate the layer of dirt/grass over the stone layer so that the blocks don't collapse. I haven't played TC in a while, but if I remember correctly TC mounds were bricks on the inside and had the dirt as a cover so it shouldn't be super complicated to switch those blocks to TFC blocks.

I can't, with the system I have in place, add extra geometry to the TC structures, I can only swap blocks. You're right that the inside of the mound is stone. Its actually cobblestone, which also collapses. As a potential fix I replaced the cobblestone with bricks, but that meant the mossy cobblestone boulders that TC generates in magic forests became part brick, which is no good. I think I may just replace it with raw stone instead, and replace the mossy cobble in particular with shale or some other greenish rock. Either that or implement a fake version of TFC cobble that doesn't collapse, but still gives real TFC cobble if mined.

Imgur refuses to upload my screenshots, but I'm getting those little obsidian altars with chests on it EVERYWHERE. I don't think they were that common in vanilla. Not sure what to do about that.

I may also have to revamp  the way Thaumcraft generates mounds, Its just a hunch at the moment, but I think it's actually causing the blocks around it to do a physics tick WHILE generating, and seemingly generating in layers from the bottom up. This means you end up with a few layers of dirt in the bottom of the little dungeon that fell from above while it was generating. Not sure if it's destroying the chests or not.

My hunch was correct. Azanor's method of generating the mounds was in order X->Y->Z, which caused all kinds of trouble with the physics of the blocks it was messing around with. After rearranging the order of generation, so first the cobble/mossy cobble, then the air/ladders/stairs in Y->X->Z order, then finally the dirt and grass on top, the inside of the dungeon is now devoid of any extra blocks. However the ladders have always fallen off when I go look inside. I don't know why. Minor issue though, in comparison.

well that's done. It may not look like much, but Thaumcraft mounds now generate with cobble, mossy cobble, dirt and grass of the appropriate type for the area. Yes, I added a mossy cobble for each type of stone, sorry the moss texture is kinda crap. I still intend on making the chests inside be of the right wood for the area as well, but I think I'm going to work on the shrines next. I think they're generating all over the place because they're supposed to be on top of a hill, and all of TFC's terrain is way above the top of vanilla hills. Just a hunch again though.

Spoiler

dUHD4LX.png

zuDCUW8.png

Here is a screenshot of the mossy cobblestones, compared to the vanilla. Back in the day, mossy cobblestone and cobblestone both had the same texture, with moss superimposed on one of them. At some point they redid the cobblestone texture, but not the moss stone, so their textures no longer mesh properly. Since I wanted to use multi-pass rendering to just render moss on top of the TFC cobblestone textures, and not make a whole new texture for every rock, I had to make my own moss texture. It doesn't quite look the same, but at least the moss follows the cracks in the cobblestone properly. If someone feels they can do a better job let me know, low density textures are not my forte.

Spoiler

GTHuMur.png

Yep, I was right. "Hilltopstones" were set to generate anywhere over 84, which is EVERYWHERE in TFC. I now have them set to over 175, so they only generate in mountains and tall hills. Works great

Spoiler

YW8QHoh.png

Next step: Figuring out how to make cutting down silverwood trees with nodes in them work properly

Thank you for having an overlaying texture, since I use a resource pack for TFC

Not a problem, but....

blegh, getting a crash from my cobblestone render code. I know what's causing it, because the magic ore did the exact same thing. but I don't remember exactly how to fix it. So much fun debugging something you know you already fixed, lol

EDIT: Fixed the rendering. Rendering in pass 1 is such a pain, I don't know why I ever try that. But I noticed this during testing

Spoiler

bZb3vqz.png

Its exciting because I wasn't sure if they were gonna show up without me explicitly forcing them to. Looks like thats a potential issue I can cross off my list.

Edited by TaeoG

1. Devise a complicated system of converting from a treelayer integer to an EnumTree to a log/leaf block corresponding to said tree from said layer
  2. Discover after all that is done that there is a different getTreeLayer method that actually returns a DataLayer with a block built in that I can reference
  3. Say F--- it and use my complicated system because I like big switch statements

On a related note, trees in magic forests now are made out of the tree blocks for one of the trees that should have spawned there otherwise. They're still "magic tree" shaped though. My code doesn't actually check to see if that type of tree can survive in that climate though.... hmmm, I may fix that, I may not. Its Magic, after all.

Not sure if it's a good choice for converting the trees there, but I like it. Keeps the theme of the area while still allowing for the flora diversity that TFC adds, instead of them just being oak, which was my original plan.

The next goal is change the render code for leaves, tall grass and other flora so that they change to reflect the blue/black/purple colourations from the various Thaumcraft biomes. This raises a couple issues though. If TFC didn't give their biomes a uniform, neutral color, you may get some weird looking foliage at random. The second problem being that this is a "Base Edit", which is explicitly not allowed in mods released on this forum. As far as I'm concerned it is a must for this mod though. Either I need to find a loophole, or release this mod elsewhere.

I'm just going to say that I love you for doing this. A friend and I are both big fans of TFC and TC, and while we haven't played together in a while, we've agreed to start up a new world once this crossover is ready. That Pech screenshot is amazing, and looks exactly the way I hoped these mods would look together. Thank you for working so hard on this project!

I like the sound of the trees in the magic forests - and yeah, not bothering with the climate checks and such means there's a chance you'll get wood normally unavailable anywhere nearby, which is an idea I'm fond of, and an interesting side-effect of mixing these two mods.

As for the rendering of the flora, maybe talk to Kitty?

Thats also a wisp in the picture with the pech, not an aura node. It was nice of them to stay close together long enough for me to take a screenshot.

I sent Kitty a message, and I'm off to bed. Hopefully she can help me out.