Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Darmo

weapon improvement - pattern welding for increased damage

2 posts in this topic

This is sort of a partner to my case hardening suggestion, and again, came in relation to my considering of chemistry overall, but also in terms of bringing more customization to weapons and tools.  I've actually seen it discussed as 'Damascus Steel' in a couple other posts, but more in theory, not as an actual mechanic.  Those posts were also very old and didn't really deal with how it would actually work in TFC.  So, I thought it justified a new post. 

In short, Pattern welding seems to me like it would be a believable and balanced way to improve weapon (sword) damage, in absence of magic.

Pattern welding is taking layers of different metal, welding them together, flattening, folding, etc.  It struck me that this could easily be adapted to a 'believable' TFC version, that would be accessible to vanilla MC players as well. The process wouldn't even need a new tool block. 

It could go like this; you forge a sword blade from tier 3 or higher metals.  You then also forge a blade of the *next higher* tier.  So at the earliest, you have a steel blade and wrought iron blade (won't work for copper or bronze).  At the pinnacle, a red/blue blade plus black one, or maybe even a version that welds red and blue blades together.   You then weld those together on the anvil (this is all when it's just a blade, no handle).  this gives you a welded XXX blade where the XXX is the name of the higher tier metal.  You then have to smith that blade, to make the final pattern welded blade, ready for handle.  Think of this like a sharpness 1 blade in MC (or whichever enchantment added damage, idk).  BUT, we're not done.  in order to simulate the multiple foldings of metal used in the legendary damascus/katana/etc blades, you can make ANOTHER pattern welded blade of the same type.  THEN you weld those two together, and you get what you might think of as a level 2 sharpness blade from MC.  It's a lot like the way you combine two swords of the same enchantment level to get the next higher level in minecraft - so readily accessible to new players.  So a normal level 0 blade is two ingots,  level 1 blade costs four ingots.  Level 2 eight ingots.  Level 3 sixteen ingots, etc.  It escalates exponentially.  A level 10 sword would cost 1024 ingots. After a handle is added, the sword can no longer be pattern welded to other swords(?)

The benefit would be increased damage.  I'm not really sure if linear benefits, or (quasi) exponential ones, are more appropriate, or fixed bonus vs percent bonus.  I know smiths already have a lot they can do, but it seems like a logical addition for the game, and give another specialization possibility.  I would anticipate this only being done very much on multiplayer servers, where a smith could dedicate himself to just weapons perhaps. 

The resulting finished blade would have a prefix of some kind added (welded, damascus, patterned, ?).  It could have Lvl X as part of the prefix, or not talk about the level in the prefix, but have it as a ctrl tooltip.  It's more impressive if it's in the title though right?  If you want to stroke egos more, have that tooltip state it as the number of layers, rather than a level.  Number of layers would equal the number of ingots contributed in total so far in that blade.  My understanding is that irl, the max practical layers is like 300 or so, but why limit it to that? Frankly if someone is willing to forge and weld 512 blades to make a 1024 layer sword, I want them to get some recognition for that!

If case hardening also becomes a process, a decision would need to be made if it can be stacked with pattern welding, and would it only have to be done once at the end of the welding (more logical I think) or for each finished blade (less logical, but would *strongly* discourage stacking of hardened and welded on high tier blades).

Balancing could be tricky, in terms of making sure low tier low level pattern welded blades aren't better than a basic upper tier blade, although I see no problem with a high level lower tier blade being better, since it probably had at least as much, if not more, time and resources put in.

Upside, players can improve their weapons, which players do love.  Also requires no new tool blocks or GUIs, does require as much as 15 new sword blade items: rough-welded, finish-welded, and handle-added forms of each - iron/steel, steel/black, black/red, black/blue, red/blue.  I think it would basically be a profession by itself on multiplayer servers.  There would definitely be room for regular swordsmiths that do other stuff as well, and master smiths that just do swords.

The downside, it's only really logical for swords.  You could kind of stretch the logic to axes, but it doesn't make any sense at all for maces.  I could totally accept it for maces though if it was determined game balance need it to work for all weapons.  I guess it could be done for knives too, but really, who would bother with that?  Probably doesn't make sense for picks (speed improvement) either. 

If a chemistry system were implemented at some point, it could be tied into this process by requiring higher tier fluxes to weld higher tier metals.

Thanks for reading my wall of text.  I'm...bad at short posts.

I would love to see this in game.

Finally I will be able to kill those pesky spiders with one hit. And it would be great to have a similar option for skellies, i.e. for maces.

I will pay for this ability with lot of time and materials, but it will worth it.

Recently I reached color steel and basically I dont have anything new to do in smiting. All smite patterns are learned, written down and easy to reproduce, all metals are in huge ingot heaps, color steel making process is drawn in a mindmap and pretty obvious now. Tools and weapons last long. And it is really great, I love how TFC is balanced here, I had goals, I got them, now life is easy.

So after a while it would be great to return to smiting and have some new endeavors, like making a legendary sword.

On servers this will be another fun thing for people - to boast about their weapons. Currently people talk about sandwitches, builds, etc. Now - legendary weapons.

I would also love to have this for tools. I will spend days and invest a hundred of color steel ingots to get a pickaxe which cuts through stone like water.

I will sell my service for other players, cutting them caves or working at quarry.

I hope durability will increase too.

And an ideal topping for all that would be ability to name weapons/tools. After huge efforts spent to make a weapon, it will require a personal name. :)