Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
gxblt

Should tree farms be a thing?

17 posts in this topic

Although it's a common thing in vanilla Minecraft, tree farming is a practise I was amazed to find existed in TFC. In the real world (yes I know it's a game but after all it's goal is to imitate reality) most trees take longer than a lifetime to grow to an usable size. There are, yes, some species like willows that grow much faster but it shouldn't be possible to plant an oak sapling and wait a year for it to grow. Are tree farms really re- sorry, believable? And what is the exact time for sapling growth anyway (if it is even possible to give a solid number)?

Well historically when people needed wood, they chopped down trees first in the immediate area, then started making logging trips further out. That's why you don't see many forests in Western Europe nowadays. Of course my idea was connected to the suggestion that trees were bigger and yielded much more wood.

http://wiki.terrafirmacraft.com/Trees#Properties

There's the list right there for how long each tree is going to take to grow from a sapling. Remember that a year in TFC is only 96 days by default, so in theory those trees are all taking about a month before they will grow.

This is just someplace that you have to realize we throw reality out the window in favor of enjoyable gameplay. Having to travel 5,000 blocks because you deforested the area surrounding you is not fun, and we're not going to force that on our players.

Well I do see your point, Kitty. However, maybe the idea would be more feasible if we considered other suggestions related to reducing the need of wood, such as coal coke (or is that too advanced for TFC? I mean it is not particularly complicated to build a simple coke oven but I'm rambling). Also 5,000 blocks may be a bit exaggerated and I didn't say no to gradual regrowth of trees. But I am by no means trying to step on the developers plans for the mod.

It is more that suggestions such as this are appealing to a small group of players. The majority would find it annoying and this would reduce the player base of the mod. Things like this are best handled by a player self imposing rules. Make it a rule that you do not plant saplings of slow growing trees, such as oak. Then the only new oak trees will be from new areas or sapling spawns, which are restrictive and low enough rate to balance the no planting.

There's also a fact that a huge part of Minecraft for many players is to build pretty things. A lot of time, the location where you want to build the pretty thing does not have the type of wood you want to use in that area. Allowing tree farms means that you can make your pretty thing without having to constantly have to do trips back and forth to the forest of that one wood type filling your inventory with logs that could be thousands of blocks away.

What about a config modifier for tree growth time? 

What about a config modifier for tree growth time?

You mean like the one that has been there for months?

I've a suggestion for the folks who want more "believable" tree growth.  You could leave the tree stump when you chop trees down.  This would limit sapling re-spawn because the tree is still technically there right?  Tadah! Deforestation.

You mean like the one that has been there for months?

Whoops, I never checked  :P.

I don't understand why gxblt didn't just extend the modifier.

Edited by CreeperVon

Wait, there's a config? I'll look into that now. But as a dying breath of my battle, has Dunk got plans for gradual tree growth or does he have other priorities right now?

Dunk has other priorities in life at the moment. Bioxx is developing tfc2 and you can follow progress via Twitter. There is no plans for gradual tree growth. At the moment they are again exploring using static tree generation, ie there are set shapes they can possibly become when grown.

Tree farms got nerfed some versions ago. I used to plant Douglas Firs in long rows without gaps. A single chop would take down a whole row :D Now the first tree that spawns will block with its leaves the path to the sky for the adjacent trees. So no more easy tree farming. This is how it should be of course, but feels less pleasant because now there is no way to optimize logging. Or is there... ;-)

leave just enough room so that the leaves from one tree touch the other in one direction and intersect in the other direction, so like in the North South you have 4 blocks between the trees, but in the East West there are only 2 blocks, This way you still have enough leaves to break for saplings, but when you shop down one tree all in the same row will fall.

leave just enough room so that the leaves from one tree touch the other in one direction and intersect in the other direction, so like in the North South you have 4 blocks between the trees, but in the East West there are only 2 blocks, This way you still have enough leaves to break for saplings, but when you shop down one tree all in the same row will fall.

Yeah maybe I should look another tree that is less "bushy" to get easy lumber. As long as the one-chop-to-rule-them-all still works :D

It is more that suggestions such as this are appealing to a small group of players. The majority would find it annoying and this would reduce the player base of the mod. Things like this are best handled by a player self imposing rules. Make it a rule that you do not plant saplings of slow growing trees, such as oak. Then the only new oak trees will be from new areas or sapling spawns, which are restrictive and low enough rate to balance the no planting.

In the small group of 4 that I play with, this is exactly what we do, plus the rule of leaving the stump. In both TFC and vanilla. We'll break the planting rule with stuff like rubber tree mods need, and the stump rule whenever it gets in the way of construction, so hard-and-fast options to turn such rules on wouldn't be interesting.

So yes, not everything has to be coded in. Role playing is fun.