Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
TonyLiberatto

Sandstone Pool

Sandstone   16 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Dev's add Sandstone to the Mod?

• Yes, the more Blocks we have the better
    • No, we already have too many blocks in the mod and Sandstone is not needed
  2. 2. In the real World Sandstone is found in all the collors of the rainbow, even though some collors are more common. If added to the game should it be just the tan yellowish collor or all the collors?

• Yes all Colors. Please gimme all the collors possible, I can already see my buildings with this amazing blocks
    • No, just Yellow. I know they exist, but think just the most common color is enough
    • No, do not add Sandstone, I voted no in the first question
  3. 3. Where should we see Sandstone?

• Only in desert or barren regions, as a new rock type layer
    • Everywhere, it could be inserted into the rock layer and just spam as part of the natural layer, but not replacing it.
    • Again, I voted No for adding Sandstone

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

7 posts in this topic

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

There is a tread about Sandstone that  discuss it in a way that I believe still valid. More now that the Dev's are in the process of coding world generation for the New TFC2.

Read Here: http://terrafirmacraft.com/f/topic/6414-sandstone/?hl=sandstone.

Maybe I should have just posted there, but since I was not the creator of the tread there was no way for me to create the Poll. So I will let the Moderators decide if they want to merge this tread into the old one.

The main point of this Poll is to decide if we should add Sandstone to the mod. Some people want to have even more options for building Blocks, since this is the main purpose of Minecraft, to acquire colored blocks and create beautiful constructions.

Your options are pretty straight forward: Either you want more blocks or not.

If added to the mod, should it come in many different color, or just the tan yellowish found in Vanilla Minecraft?

Again is more a question of personal preference:

Yes gimme the whole rainbow, it will be awesome.

No, even though they exist in real lime colored Sandstone looks weird, gimme just the yellow one.

Third is where in the world should Sandstone Spawn and in each way.

Should Sandstone be a rock layer by itself? that would add to all the existing rock layers and require a rewrite of how ores spawn.

Should Sandstone be randomised and spawn in patches like the way we have Clay spawning today. It would take characteristics of the main rock layer and could even use that information to determine its coloration.

Edited by TonyLiberatto

The forum software requires that someone votes in all poll questions if they just want to vote in one, so you should probably add an option to the bottom two questions along the lines of "I voted no in the first question"

I think one problem with this idea is, if we want the iconic sandstone formations like ones sees in certain badland and desert areas of the world, there will need to be several different types of sandstone, with different colors. Can TFC's rocklayer algorithms be changed to do everything the way it is, EXCEPT for this one specific type, and then it has to do it in layers?  So it would require not only specialized coding for just these areas, but also probably 4+ separate block types just for this?  It'd be great and all, but how code-feasible is that I wonder? 

I don't think having one block, with a layered texture, would work very well.  I've seen it in some other texture packs and frankly I think it looks terrible.  There's just too much repetition.

The other problem, If I understand correctly, stone layers are a separate thing from climate.  So you will have sandstone layers under jungles, forests, plains, and everywhere else. Any area with thick soil and gravel layers won't really gain anything visually.  I'm not clear as to how exactly the game determines soil and gravel thickness.  I feel kind of like to be as impactful as it is in real life, it would need to be a rare rock type - if it appears to often I'm afraid it will feel like TerraFirmaDrSeuss.  But that would make it unlikely to be seen in it's full glory, matched with a thin covering, preferably little to no sand.

If there were a way to bridge geology and climate, it might get interesting.  For example if a certain density of lava pockets and/or hot springs influenced the local geology in some way to be sandstone, and also the climate to be kind of barren. But I'm guessing rocks and climate are generated *before* lava and springs as it stands, so idk.  I think it's generally a good idea to separate geology from climate, so I'm not sure if there's a good way to tie sandstone in to light soil/sand cover, and absent that I feel like it might be hard to have it make an impact on the world.

Overall it's a fun idea, but seems really complicated.  I think there's a lot of other things that would be more beneficial to the game.

Edited by Darmo

Apart from the probability that stone generation is seperate from biomes, vanilla minecraft already has a similar biome already, and frankly I think it looks bad. The rainbow colors are just too wierd.

The forum software requires that someone votes in all poll questions if they just want to vote in one, so you should probably add an option to the bottom two questions along the lines of "I voted no in the first question"

Thanks Kitty, I changed the poll, hope is enough.

I think one problem with this idea is, if we want the iconic sandstone formations like ones sees in certain badland and desert areas of the world, there will need to be several different types of sandstone, with different colors. Can TFC's rocklayer algorithms be changed to do everything the way it is, EXCEPT for this one specific type, and then it has to do it in layers?  So it would require not only specialized coding for just these areas, but also probably 4+ separate block types just for this?  It'd be great and all, but how code-feasible is that I wonder? 

I don't think having one block, with a layered texture, would work very well.  I've seen it in some other texture packs and frankly I think it looks terrible.  There's just too much repetition.

The other problem, If I understand correctly, stone layers are a separate thing from climate.  So you will have sandstone layers under jungles, forests, plains, and everywhere else. Any area with thick soil and gravel layers won't really gain anything visually.  I'm not clear as to how exactly the game determines soil and gravel thickness.  I feel kind of like to be as impactful as it is in real life, it would need to be a rare rock type - if it appears to often I'm afraid it will feel like TerraFirmaDrSeuss.  But that would make it unlikely to be seen in it's full glory, matched with a thin covering, preferably little to no sand.

If there were a way to bridge geology and climate, it might get interesting.  For example if a certain density of lava pockets and/or hot springs influenced the local geology in some way to be sandstone, and also the climate to be kind of barren. But I'm guessing rocks and climate are generated *before* lava and springs as it stands, so idk.  I think it's generally a good idea to separate geology from climate, so I'm not sure if there's a good way to tie sandstone in to light soil/sand cover, and absent that I feel like it might be hard to have it make an impact on the world.

Overall it's a fun idea, but seems really complicated.  I think there's a lot of other things that would be more beneficial to the game.

Not a Geologist myself, I actually have no idea how sandstone is formed in real life and what kind of places we have then.

Since the color of the sandstone is actually determined by what minerals are present I think it could work if it was tie to the rock layer it is formed.

Again I have no idea if Sandstone in Nature presents itself in different colors in the same place.in layers or if all the sandstone in one place is the same color.

I thought that maybe we could have sandstone spam the same way that Clay does it, so it would not involve creating several rock types and mess up the ore generation.

No idea how realistic that would be. Maybe it would be better to have it as a new rock layer type that would spawn only in the surface.

I don't really know and to be honest don't care much. The first thing is to have some Developer to like the idea of adding Sandstone to the game.

If they like enough they will do the work, does not matter how hard it is to code.

Apart from the probability that stone generation is seperate from biomes, vanilla minecraft already has a similar biome already, and frankly I think it looks bad. The rainbow colors are just too wierd.

I agree the existing rainbow colors in vanilla are hideous. But they have more to do with texturing then anything else. I am pretty sure that if can have your help they will be beautiful.

One kind of sandstone is enough. IMHO, we don't need tons of varieties of sandstone. It should be a brownish-yellow, and can spawn anywhere, not just under sand. Irl, sandstone can exist anywhere where there was once sand that was compacted and cemented, not only in deserts. It is not limited by current landscape.

I like the idea of having Sandstone spawning in multiple places, but I also would like to have one place that would be just Sandstone all around and with different colors as to create the beautiful landscapes that we associate with Sandstone, like this:

Posted Image

This is an actual Landscape in China, it's called Danxia Mountain read about here:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2380465/Danxia-mountains-China-captured-glorious-evening-light.html

There are lots of landscapes like that around the world, one prettier than the other.

My idea was to have Sandstone spawn in pockets on the surface and it would take the color from the rock layer it spawns, the same way we have dirt and gravel getting the same coloration as the rock layer. But once in a while someone would walk into a rock layer that would be all Sandstone, with all the colors mixed together and forming beautiful landscapes, like the one above.