Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Bioxx

Tree Schematic Contributions

56 posts in this topic

As some of you know, I recently put out a call for help in designing trees for TFC2. This thread will be for asking questions about the process and submitting any designs that you've made.

This thread is not for general tree related questions. Please make a new thread for that.

I'll try to go through and explain the details of what needs to be done here so that anyone who is thinking of contributing will know what I'm looking for.

• The tree types that are in TFC2 have changed a bit. You can refer to this google doc to see the types of trees in TFC2 and any notes that I may have made on specific tree types.
  • Trees can be built in either 1.7 or 1.8 using vanilla wood and leaf blocks. When the schematics are loaded by TFC2, they are processed and converted to use the appropriate TFC2 wood and leaf blocks. Please refrain from using any other block types in your trees.
  • Trees come in 3 generic sizes. Note that these sizes do not specify a minimum or maximum size in MC blocks as each tree is different. Example Image
    • Small
      • 5-10 blocks tall including leaves *Note this is a rough estimate as some trees may have more specific requirements
      • These are used in dry sparse areas or under larger trees when there is not enough growth room for larger trees.
    • Normal
      • 10-20 blocks tall including leaves *Note this is a rough estimate as some trees may have more specific requirements
    • Large
      • 20-40 blocks tall including leaves *Note this is a rough estimate as some trees may have more specific requirements
  • Tree types that have a generally similar shape can/will use the same schematics to reduce the amount of work required. ex: Oak and Maple
  • Trees should not be constructed with logs at 45 degree angles Example Image
  • When trees are placed, they do a scan to make sure that there is enough room. The size of the scan is +-1 or +-2 based upon the tree size. Most trees should not exceed a 1x1 or 2x2 trunk width.
  • For more natural looking leaves, try to not make them symmetrical on the tree. Randomly add and remove leaf blocks around branches to give the leaves a more 'broken' look. Example Image
  • Leaves should be no more than 4 blocks away from any log so that they won't despawn on their own. I try to keep all of my leaves within 3 blocks so that I can add random leaf blocks to the tree when it is looking very bland.
  • Please label all of your trees with a sign that displays the tree Type and the Size so that I'll know what I'm looking at.

If you are interested in submitting tree variations, you can design the trees in a vanilla flat world and upload the world save for me to take a look at.

Below are a few tree examples:
Umbrella Acacia Large: 1
Pine Large: 1
Maple/Oak Large: 1
White Cedar Normal: 1
Sequoia Normal: Start | Finish

For reference here is my Tree Catalog World Save as of 8/17/2015. This should give you a good idea of what I'm looking for.

The google doc you linked in the first bullet point, it has green bars in categories from 'low' to 'max'.  are those height ranges, or maybe moisture ranges?  There's a lot at 'max' so I was thinking maybe it was not height...

Edit: also do you know specifically which species will share models?  It might be useful to know which ones will have their own unique models, at least initially, so we can get you at least one model of every tree, rather than making lots of duplicate models that will be shared between a few tree types.  Initially.

Edited by Darmo

I noticed the addition of Blackwood, thanks for that, it was a color that we were missing. The only other color we are missing is Blue, I looked in google, and looks like they do exist in nature, but are very rare.

The Blue Mahoe is the national Tree of Jamaica, Is a fast growing tree and high quality wood.

Posted ImagePosted Image

The blue Mahoe is not always this blue, many times it presents itself in tons of grey and even greenish. I think if decided to ad to the game for gameplay purposes it could be just blue.

It appears as though white elm trees have been removed. May I ask why? Just curious. I sorta liked the wood.

Hmmmmm, yeah, and I was just about to start trying to make some schematics based on Elm's iconic shape. I guess I'll try my hand at some wide, branchy sycamores instead.

Hey Bioxx, do you want all the logs oriented so the bark is always on the sides, or can we rotate them to face sideways?

It appears as though white elm trees have been removed. May I ask why? Just curious. I sorta liked the wood.

Had to get rid of a tree to add the new black wood due to the 16 per-block limit of Minecraft. Bioxx wouldn't get rid of Willow, so we went with the second-ugliest tree. ;)

Hey Bioxx, do you want all the logs oriented so the bark is always on the sides, or can we rotate them to face sideways?

I believe that natural logs are going to have bark on all sides and no log faces exposed, so you shouldn't need to worry about rotation.

Chestnut. only an hours worth of work. 

Each area for each tree is 15^2

I will finish up with the planned last 4 some other time, my creative steam was running out, and I was getting bored. 
the trees where based off of oldworld growth pictures I could find across the internet.

Deleted

AS far as everyone else wanting a "blue" wood. Purple heart, poplar, and even ebony can all have a natural blue coloring, I've seen them in person in lumber stores. The poplar I saw in a lowes actually. 

post-18860-0-91976800-1439569924_thumb.p

Edited by CrumpetTaco

When trying to decide what tree types should be kept in the game and what should be added, maybe a wood color chart would be useful.

Posted ImagePosted Image

As far as the removal of white elm, earlier in development, I was limiting the trees to only 16 types and needed to fit acacia into that number so I removed the wood that I liked least. But after some further thought, I realized that we did not have enough warm climate tree varieties. Which is when I added Palm, Rosewood, and Blackwood. I opted to not bring back the elm because mehh.

@CrumpetTaco - Your trees look good but the trunks are far too large, I'll have to edit them down a bit. 5x5 area for the trunk should be the absolute max for large trees and 3x3 for Normal and Small. Some of your leaf areas are also lacking nearby branches. Leaves really shouldn't exceed 3 blocks from a log. Thanks for the help.

@CrumpetTaco - Your trees look good but the trunks are far too large, I'll have to edit them down a bit. 5x5 area for the trunk should be the absolute max for large trees and 3x3 for Normal and Small. Some of your leaf areas are also lacking nearby branches. Leaves really shouldn't exceed 3 blocks from a log. Thanks for the help.

My trees are designed in a way where it left open possibility's. like possible "branch blocks" basically leafs with branches going through them, when knocked allowed for that block to drop branches [instead of being random, and would make more trees have more usable branches then others.]  Also root blocks.. that spawn with trees. but that's deserving of thread in itself, I also figured the "large" trees where far and few in between realistically for chestnut, that this big ol' tree would be more "rare" to spawn/show up in the world. so finding one you could reap the benefit of cutting it down, or leaving it up and using it to build around. maybe if you cut these big trees down, regular smaller trees will no longer grow around that area? Dunno if that's even an easy possibility. 

also I didn't know there was a limit on trunk size. In my defense the medium tree in the back was suppose to look like two trees that had grown together. and the big tree is an "artistic render" for possibility and had limiting "branch" logs for two factors. first being that cutting it down would make it little less "OP" in terms of wood output. and the second is if you look at a real chestnut tree, there's not much use able lumber based off the branches. 

Basically new block types [i guess this could be a suggestion]

Branch blocks [Looks like leafs, but drops branches between 2 or 5 sticks]  

Root blocks. Soil and roots combined. takes x3 amount of time to dig up as normal dirt. are left behind even after the tree is cut down. No ability to hew the soil for farming on, so you can no longer burn down jungles and start planting massive farms in their place. 

Use able "logs" standard. assuming its staying sorta the same as TFC1

and of course leaf blocks again as before.

and possibility to have wild tree blocks, basically trees that produce nuts, the outer layers, and bottom have nut producing boxes, that work based off seasons like the fruit trees. This can work with some roots too, like spruce roots to make cordage. 

I've been pondering roots, its something that could be easily added in if I wanted to so its a possibility but not at all related to the schematics. Make sure that you read the OP, I've tried to put down most of the requirements in it.

Love the idea of having trees producing seeds instead of saplings. It would be great if it was season dependent. So finding a tree does not mean getting the seeds, unless is the right season.

Also it would be great if chopping down a tree would bring the branches/leaves down so you would still need to break the leaves to get the sticks. 

Love the idea of having trees producing seeds instead of saplings. It would be great if it was season dependent. So finding a tree does not mean getting the seeds, unless is the right season.

Also it would be great if chopping down a tree would bring the branches/leaves down so you would still need to break the leaves to get the sticks. 

I was thinking of using the seeds more as a food source for some trees. such as chestnuts. and acorns. [you can actually eat acorns if you boil all the tannins out.] you can also make an acorn flour. but it works better with traditional flour added. But yeah. lets save this space as to not anger the all mighty bioxx with our awesome ideas. [maybe create a different bread?] 

Edited by CrumpetTaco

I dont know if this would be hard to implement but, would it be possible for the tree to grow in block for up? Like it starts as a sapling and after a few days it grows into block form but a tiny one, like a little shrub like thing, and then it grows bigger. and bigger. Untill its fully grown

DOWNLOAD NEWEST, v1.7.10

Added 4 more trees, One "large" Slash medium. Two Small, and one more medium. All chestnut still, I would like to get some variety since they are all schematic based. Plus, I mean, chestnut reasons.... lol 

the large is another one of my "artistic" takes. Its basically a large tree that got the top knocked off due to diease, but wasn't dead so started sprouting again, inside is hollow somewhat, but all the blocks should be connected still. not much useable wood, so it can't be abused due to its large base.

post-18860-0-31583700-1439661482_thumb.p

DOWNLOAD NEWEST, v1.7.10

Added 4 more trees, One "large" Slash medium. Two Small, and one more medium. All chestnut still, I would like to get some variety since they are all schematic based. Plus, I mean, chestnut reasons.... lol 

the large is another one of my "artistic" takes. Its basically a large tree that got the top knocked off due to diease, but wasn't dead so started sprouting again, inside is hollow somewhat, but all the blocks should be connected still. not much useable wood, so it can't be abused due to its large base.

The primary issue with these new designs is the width of the trunks. I was able to modify them a bit to bring them a bit more into line with whats needed, but 2x2 trunks on small trees should be avoided. When its all said and done, there wont be a whole lot of variations on each tree so certain tree types will be naturally used for the wood count. For the most part, I don't harp on this specific aspect when it comes to tree designs because we need good branches for the trees to look right. But in this case I thought it was important to point out. As for the artistic tree, I'll admit that it is interesting, but it comes back to my previous statement, that there are not going to be enough variations to support radical designs such as that. You'd end up seeing it far more than you should. At this time, there is no way to configure the rarity of a specific schematic (and I don't know that there will be), so designs like that just cant be used.

I dont know if this would be hard to implement but, would it be possible for the tree to grow in block for up? Like it starts as a sapling and after a few days it grows into block form but a tiny one, like a little shrub like thing, and then it grows bigger. and bigger. Untill its fully grown

This is actually possible and was in at one point, but was dropped for a number of reasons.

Use what you want. no hard feelings over it. 

Also the 4x4 bases are because some chestnut doesn't get very tall, but it gets fat. but okay. 

Use what you want. no hard feelings over it. 

Also the 4x4 bases are because some chestnut doesn't get very tall, but it gets fat. but okay. 

Hmm, you're right. After looking up some chestnut trees, I'll have more of an open mind in regards to chestnut in the future. Like I said in the op, different trees can have different specific attributes.

Hmm, you're right. After looking up some chestnut trees, I'll have more of an open mind in regards to chestnut in the future. Like I said in the op, different trees can have different specific attributes.

Hey, just figured I'd pint out that before the chestnut blight made them essentially extinct, American Chestnut (Castenea Dentata) was a massive tree, almost redwood sized. Wikipedia quote:

"Castanea dentata is a rapidly growing deciduous hardwood tree, historically reaching up to 30 metres (98 ft) in height, and 3 metres (9.8 ft) in diameter."

And now for some picutres:

Posted Image

Posted Image

You probably saw images of the Chinese Chestnut, which while resilient to the blight, doesn't grow as straight and tall as the American Chestnut.

Hey, just figured I'd pint out that before the chestnut blight made them essentially extinct, American Chestnut (Castenea Dentata) was a massive tree, almost redwood sized. Wikipedia quote:

"Castanea dentata is a rapidly growing deciduous hardwood tree, historically reaching up to 30 metres (98 ft) in height, and 3 metres (9.8 ft) in diameter."

And now for some picutres:

You probably saw images of the Chinese Chestnut, which while resilient to the blight, doesn't grow as straight and tall as the American Chestnut.

You learn something new every day.

Chestnut. only an hours worth of work. Each area for each tree is 15^2I will finish up with the planned last 4 some other time, my creative steam was running out, and I was getting bored. the trees where based off of oldworld growth pictures I could find across the internet.DeletedAS far as everyone else wanting a "blue" wood. Purple heart, poplar, and even ebony can all have a natural blue coloring, I've seen them in person in lumber stores. The poplar I saw in a lowes actually.

Poplar which is tinted blue comes from beetle infested trees. The beetle digs into the tree and in the process open a wound for a parasitic fungus. The fungus eventually kills the tree but not before staining the wood blue. It also occurs in several varieties of pine.

Poplar which is tinted blue comes from beetle infested trees. The beetle digs into the tree and in the process open a wound for a parasitic fungus. The fungus eventually kills the tree but not before staining the wood blue. It also occurs in several varieties of pine.

So that means it is believable to have blue wood and I think desirable. It is the only color missing. So can we please add a tree with blue planks?

The American Chestnut

I chose this beauty for my first tree build due to the fact that it fit within the grid that Bioxx is using and is not so tall as to make our giant trees (sequoia, Douglas Fir, Kapok) But is still a respectable size. The tree presented here is in fact the size of the real american chestnut tree and I used several images of this species as a guide for it. The canopy stretches 21m across and the height of this large ancient tree is a whopping 31m. In keeping with the realism the trunk is only 3m in diameter which is a value I pulled from historic records of chestnut logging.

I would love to see this tree appear in TFC2 as it would be almost like restoring the species to life. if you did not know, the american chestnut was made almost extinct by a virus from the chinese chestnut which was imported to the US. in its historic range it is all but extinct now.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Bioxx, I took extra care to ensure that the tree I built fit into your grid from your tree world. let me know what you think of it :)

Fully Mature American Chestnut.zip

3x3 tree trunks makes me wish there was a way to hollow out the center of the tree so I could put a ladder up the middle, and made a tree-house up top, Swiss family Robinson style!

The tree looks good Balthizar. I definitely wouldn't want to go any bigger than that.