Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Hydra26

Light Pollution

7 posts in this topic

Have you ever heard of light pollution?  It's the reflection of badly aimed man-made lights off of dust in the atmosphere giving the night sky a strange orange glow, and it really is sad.

Here's an image from the 2003 NE Blackout:

Posted Image

Notice how much nicer and more beautiful the first image is compared to the second?  Also notice the "glare bomb" light that blinds you when looking towards the house.  Much of this issue can be solved based on shielding lights, so that all light reaches the ground, thus saving money and allowing a lower wattage bulb for better illumination, because one isn't blinded by glare; glare actually decreases security because sharp, dark shadows allow criminals to hide, not to mention that many of us have had neighbors that shine a floodlight into your window for "security." I'd like to show a study done by the city of Chicago that demonstrates that light at night actually increases crime, because someone at night with a flashlight is much more suspicious than a person strolling through a yard. Here's an image demonstrating bad and good lights:

Posted Image

And it's not just our view of the night that's being hurt: Moths and other nocturnal creatures don't enter night behavior because twilight never ends; baby seaturtles are dying because they crawl towards the bright city lights.  Take a look at this light pollution map: you probably live in a white or red zone, like most people.  In fact, it's estimated that 80% of children born today will never see the milky way.  So help out by turning off or shielding your outdoor lights, only using them when required, and someday, find a true dark sky, give yourself 30 minutes to dark adapt, and see it in its full glory for yourself. :) Thanks for reading this whole thing!

Interesting read. It is pretty sad with the light pollution. I remember how clear it was when visiting Yellowstone compared to back east.

What in the world is that bright red off the (other )coast just south of New Orleans?

I think those are oil rigs. 

Check out the difference between N and S Korea. 

It's a sad thing that millions of kids today have never seen the Milky Way with their own eyes. :unsure:

I think those are oil rigs.  Check out the difference between N and S Korea.  It's a sad thing that millions of kids today have never seen the Milky Way with their own eyes. :unsure:

If there was an Earth Day contest amongst countries, North Korea would win every time! :P

If there was an Earth Day contest amongst countries, North Korea would win every time! :P

Correction; Greenland wins. Followed by Niger.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0