Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Fizicks

Emphasis on Caving

26 posts in this topic

Minecraft was great when I went looking for ore in a cave system. When that cave ran out I would just look for another cave. I think this was part of the nostalgic of the game. You found more monsters and obstacles, maybe you got lost and you actually had to find a good cave to get the ores. The only diamonds you could find were in caves that managed to dip down below the diamond level AND managed to be visible.

Once I got better with the game, I found, read and watched new ways to get ores. Essentially, strip mining. Dig a hole straight down to bedrock and commence strip mining like crazy. Boy, was the game different then. I could literally start a world and have 20 diamonds and all the ore i could carry in less than 20-30 minutes.

So the point of my long story and my suggestion is to make the game about "caving" and less about "mining".

A few possibilities might be:

Make ores only spawn around air pockets (caves) underground. (I prefer this suggestion the most)

Make strip mining more difficult and less profitable. (Cave-ins help)

Make the stone a lot harder and longer to break.

If it's possible to make stone harder based on the z-coordinate, I've always thought that would have been a good idea.

I think you mean the y-coordinate. In minecraft the 3-space is messed up. I agree, the deeper you go, the harder stone should get. Then finding a rich cave would definitely be worth it. Plus as a bonus, I have always wanted to use minecarts. To tie in another suggestion, if caving became the primary source of ore, then caving could become complex and tricky, and minecarts could become more useful. I only have one problem with suggestion, and that is rock. Certain ores (I'm thinking of garnierite, which i need to make black steel) only form in specific rocks. If you didn't find a cave with the proper composition, it would be comparatively worth it. I typically mine in the top two layers of earth, because I haven't figured out an efficient way to take a core sample. I would like to be able to find whether there was gabbro deep beneath me so i could check for ores. Maybe if the rock composition generator was more refined, like metamorphic rocks spawn deeper down, etc. then maybe i would support this, but i think garnierite is hard to find as it is.

The y-coordinate, yes. My bad. I've made that mistake before, too. Shame on me.

...Would it be possible to retool the underground to feature many more caves without causing the entire surface to collapse?

yea especially cuz of the raised worlds, i feel like finding my first ore is really difficult. Also is there a good way to find garnierite besides checking surface gabbro or going down random caves and hoping or checking chunk errors?

I know off topic but it's related

Please, no.

I hate caving.

yea especially cuz of the raised worlds,i feel like finding my first ore is really difficult.

Look for any of the igneous intrusive rocks on the surface. It doesn't need to be only granite anymore (If you are playing one of the last few releases). Once you find any of those 3 rock types, just run around on the surface tapping away with the propick. I generally go in search of hickory trees, tapping with the propick as I go. Tap hillsides, and cliff faces, and just the grass below your feet. The last ones are the easiest to pin point once you have found them.

After finding the proper rock types, it generally doesn't take much to find tin and or bismuth

umm i have steel. I have enough tin an bismuth to last a lifetime. Also, i didn't mention granite I said GABBRO. Because i need NICKEL. I have a chest full of steel! I need to find GARNIERITE! And since so far all of the surface gabbro i have found is only about 4 layers deep, i was asking for a suggestion. Read my whole post next time.

Well, you said you had trouble finding your first ore. And since I have seen many typos referring to rock/ore types. I was offering advise on how to find your first ore. Thinking you meant granite instead of Garnierite

So maybe you should type your problems more clearly, or not mash multiple thoughts together. Or say instead explain what you meant more clearly instead of copping an attitude about it.

I think he was pretty clear in his post about not being able to find Garnierite.

For me Caving is the easiest way to find ores. In vanilla i've never strip mined, it's so much easier to find a cave and go for it.

I like strip mining in TFC, you gotta be carefull with the suports to avoid unwanted cave-ins and all that and it also have a more "mine" "Feel and Look".

As stated, I would like deeper rocks to be harder then surface ones but in counterpoint better tools would make faster digging, and I mean really fast. Mining the surface stone with a stone pickaxe would be the same speed as mining the almost-bedrock stone with a blue-steel pickaxe, and therefor mining a surface with a blue-steel would be A LOT faster, and mining the bed-rock stones with a stone axe A LOT slower.

sorry i tend to write stream-of-consciousness.

...speaking of having metals for days, is it just me or is cassiterite a little TOO common now? I hit 3 very large veins all within a few blocks from each other, hollowed out an area that could comfortably house 20, and now have enough tin to last the rest of my life. However, I am now finding it near impossible to locate copper. Possibly because of the extra tin generation?

also lol, I now have 2 stacks of posts

I'm also having trouble finding copper since the change. Specifically native copper. I have only found 7 pieces of native copper, while I have found a good deal of tetrahedrite and malachite.

I'm kinda in a wierd position on this. I find deposits of copper, gold, hematite, and a few others in cliff faces all the time. At the same time, I've not once found bismuth, malachite, garnierite, and some other ones at all. I think it really has to do with luck, because a lot of my ores, I find in cliff faces and caves.

Do I do a little bit of strip mining? Of course, but it's always accompanied by my constant probing around with the prospector's pick (seriously, I'm like a god damn robot with the thing). Still, caving definitely seems to be a good, although not always efficient, way of finding ores. If the deposits tended to be around air pockets like you suggested, then who knows. I would love to see it tested though.

I don't think anyone has talked about much realism here yet... Caving is... not very realistic if you ask me, at least not the main source of getting resources irl. Most of the time people will identify where it is best to dig and then make a mine and dig till they get a vein of gold or whatever. So in MY opinion it's more important to have veins of resources rather than small bits here and there instead of putting everything in front of you in caves.

Yes, there are random bits in real life, but those are already implemented as those random droplets while mining stone.

Forgive me if I got something wrong here, I only have like an hour of actual game play behind me.

Maybe we'll get some way to take core samples.

...speaking of having metals for days, is it just me or is cassiterite a little TOO common now? I hit 3 very large veins all within a few blocks from each other, hollowed out an area that could comfortably house 20, and now have enough tin to last the rest of my life. However, I am now finding it near impossible to locate copper. Possibly because of the extra tin generation?

its the world i cant find a single deposit of cassitarite or native copper

I don't think anyone has talked about much realism here yet... Caving is... not very realistic if you ask me, at least not the main source of getting resources irl.

I completly agree. My only premise was the nostalgic feeling of Minecraft. Which i suppose is completly off subject from what this mod is doing.

Huh, so that's where all the cassiterite in my world went. Your world stole it!

Huh, so that's where all the cassiterite in my world went. Your world stole it!

...I just found 2 more enormous veins. I mined them, went through 2 tin picks doing so, and I now have nearly a double chest filled with ore, even AFTER smelting up over half of it, leaving me with a SECOND double chest filled entirely with liquid tin. And you know what? My propick is STILL telling me that it's getting very large cassiterite samples down there.

You want my tin? You can fucking HAVE it. Just give me a decent amount of copper and you can have all the damn tin your heart desires

...I just found 2 more enormous veins. I mined them, went through 2 tin picks doing so, and I now have nearly a double chest filled with ore, even AFTER smelting up over half of it, leaving me with a SECOND double chest filled entirely with liquid tin. And you know what? My propick is STILL telling me that it's getting very large cassiterite samples down there.

You want my tin? You can fucking HAVE it. Just give me a decent amount of copper and you can have all the damn tin your heart desires

Lol, by the time I find my first sniff of tin, I'll have a bloody cobblestone castle built.

Lol, by the time I find my first sniff of tin, I'll have a bloody cobblestone castle built.

I recently found a place where the prospecting pick says there's tin.... wasted 6 pickaxes looking for it. I'm thinking of just mining up every block that says it has anything to do with cassiterite O.o

I recently found a place where the prospecting pick says there's tin.... wasted 6 pickaxes looking for it. I'm thinking of just mining up every block that says it has anything to do with cassiterite O.o

Find the block that said it had cassiterite. Dig 12 blocks in all 4 cardinal directions, and then check at the end of each tunnel. one tunnel on the X should tell you there's nothing, and one tunnel on the Z should tell you there's nothing. You have now narrowed down the quadrant the ore is in. Dig out that 12x12 quadrant and you have a 100% chance of finding your ore.

If it says there's some in all 4 tunnels, then the deposit is either right under/over the first block you checked, or there's more than 1 vein nearby. If there IS more than one vein, my best advice is to dig lots of small tunnels twisting around, like a web. That pretty much relies on the sometimes ridiculous size of the ore veins to give a high probability of running into it on accident.

One modification to the above post. Propicking is dependent on direction so when you mine 12 blocks on all 4 directions and the prospect, make surevyou are facing the same direction as you were with the initial find. Also I totally support core samples because the disturbing lack or garnierite in my world is starting to get on my nerves since my partner went in vacation for 7 weeks with no Internet.

Find the block that said it had cassiterite. Dig 12 blocks in all 4 cardinal directions, and then check at the end of each tunnel. one tunnel on the X should tell you there's nothing, and one tunnel on the Z should tell you there's nothing. You have now narrowed down the quadrant the ore is in. Dig out that 12x12 quadrant and you have a 100% chance of finding your ore.

If it says there's some in all 4 tunnels, then the deposit is either right under/over the first block you checked, or there's more than 1 vein nearby. If there IS more than one vein, my best advice is to dig lots of small tunnels twisting around, like a web. That pretty much relies on the sometimes ridiculous size of the ore veins to give a high probability of running into it on accident.

I've already built a tunnel all the way around where the propick say's there's cassiterite and strip-mined through it. I will try your advice though.

Edit 1: Wow. I really did waste those picks, the method you specified is saying that the ore is in fact in an entirly different quadrant.

Edit 2: I found it! and that's not a 100% chance. you need to dig up and down too, and then it's 12 blocks^3 for a 100% chance. I actually found the cassiterite when I dug down right into a cave trying to figure out whether it was up or down.