Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dabman10

Wheat Domestication Flow Chart

33 posts in this topic

Here is a visual flow chart that could show a potential tiered domestication for wheat:Posted Image

See if you can figure out what advantages and disadvantages each wheat varieties have.

This is probably the best idea about seeds and wheat i saw so far... But Hardy Wheat? Or Cave Wheat? Looks amazing!

This is probably one of my favorite suggestions! As a cliff-dweller, the idea of cave wheat, hardy wheat, and a semi-complex but rewarding domestication system sounds like an amazing addition to me.

One thing I'd like to see is if wheat would spread to nearby dirt tiles if not contained properly. For example, wild wheat would propagate across fields over time (to an extent), but a field without some sort of stone/wood/etc path around it would also grow out of its bounds and become a problem if not handled properly.

The idea behind hardy and cave wheat is that as you grow wheat, mutations arise that make some of the seeds more tolerable of certain conditions. If one is very aware of this, they can take advantage of these mutated seeds and grow them in conditions for a higher yielding crop. On the other hand, even if one isn't aware of this, wheat will gradually adapt to the environment that it is planted in.

Edit: Minerman: That's an awesome idea, especially since it brings the idea about having to potentially 'de-weed' your farm in order to get the maximum yield from your cultured crop, or setting up time-intensive methods to ensure the weeds don't spread to the field in the first place.

You know you could have just amended this into your first post in the other thread.

Good image. It makes your original post a bit clearer. Love the idea just as much as I did before. <3

How did you do the images? I have an addtional idea: a type of wheat that grew in low light levels, a type of wheat that grew without fertilizer, and without water (rain) Also here is a second idea: instead of having clearcut "species" set it up similarly to IC2 agriculture, only without crossbreeding. You start a set of traits like growing speed, yield, hydration required, fertilization required, light required, seed yield, etc. The wild wheat starts with the default settings: 1, 2, 4, 0, 14, 2(or something) and when they grew new plants "like someone said they spread" the new plants absorb the traits of plants around them, but however there is a chance of mutation. Most likely th mutations would be harmless, like requiring less light, but sometimes they will be bad, like requiring more water, causing it to die, but sometimes it will be beneficial, causing it to become more prevalent. However, in a tilled environment, there would be more chance of mutation. This was, instead of having every piece of wheat store 10 variables, just have everytime a mutation occurs, create a new "strain" and then the wheat would just say what kind of strain it was.

Then i could, under the right environment, breed superwheat!

I love this idea. With cave wheat, I can finally start my Dwarf Fortress.

Armok be praised!

Seems like a really cool idea. =D

I'd definitely enjoy it.

I'm interested in this design and as an IC2 bioengineer the thought of a new crop system intrigues me but I like having a complex system with this to give me something to do while I wait on my villagers (friends on my server) to return with more ore since I've become the Blacksmith/Steward/Botanical Engineer.

Looks like someone paid attention to Bioxx's comment about detailing suggestions. =P

But yes, this is a great idea. Makes farming more than releasing the floodgates and replanting every once in a while.

everything looks so complete i have no suggestions on this so i shall say good job!

now i have an idea for each specialization of wheat should require a differnt fertilizer maybe glowstone for cave wheat, redstone (if not taken out) for heirloom wheat. Maybe fish hor hardy wheat?

Edited by daveris

Just looking over the chart one more time, it definitely could still use some fleshing out. From comments above and other thoughts:

-Wild Wheat/grass blocks could potentially have the ability to 'spread' and take over adjacent plowed land, making it a weed that would require a little monitoring. Wild wheat would 'destroy' any cultured wheat strains it spreads on to, while grass blocks would revert tilled dirt back to regular dirt and destroy the crop altogether.

-Wild wheat probably should grow equally fast as the other strains also, but maybe at a slower rate during the winter (50%). Spreadability and rapid seed generation would give an advantage of growing wild wheat, despite its very poor yield compared to other crops.

-Cave wheat might need a slight added benefit, or regular wheat should be nerfed to grow slower than cave wheat underground.

-There's a lot of possibilities about implementing fertilizer. A simple solution would be a "Yes/No" flag on plowed soil. All tilled dirt blocks could naturally be fertilized. After a cultured plant is harvested from that block, the dirt block would visually indicate that it is "barren" until fertilizer is added and it is re-tilled. Here could be a general flow of things:

Cultured plant on tilled soil --> Cultured plant harvested --> tilled dirt block changed to "barren dirt" block --> fertilizer added, reverts to dirt block --> hoe used and block is tilled

Thus a farmer that chooses to not re-fertilize a field would have something like this after a while: Posted Image

Now, if wild wheat/grass were given the ability to spread, it could be an optional way to let a field like this become fertile naturally (by letting it be fallow for a period of time).

Another Idea for Wheat... Is it wild wheat? Nope! Is it Heirloom wheat? Nah! Is it Hardy wheat? Nope! It is Nether Wheat! Just an idea for nether crops and wheat! Nether wheat should be growns on Netherrack or Soulsand! Which ever you think is more appropriet...It is also crafted into Nether Cake,Nether Bread and Nether Cookies...

Some people aren't going to like this, but how about some kinds of wheat require re-plowing? It could make hoes an actually needed tool, instead of make 2 stone ones and you're set for the map.

I love this idea greatly. But as a cavedwler myself, like most of the idea, but only having 1 type of cultered wheat that grows by torchlight disapoints me. But sadlly I don't have much of a idea to add to it.

How would the sunlight only plants work? Die every night? Replant in the morning? It's a nice idea, but I don't think the engine supports it. We know that we can have a "no light" only plant, but I don't think there's a way to have "must have sunlight" plant because of how the game calculates light levels.

Blocks can detect if they have a direct sightline to the sky or not if they don't then they would die.

How would the sunlight only plants work? Die every night?

it would determine if it had blocks over its head and were the y axis is for it not if in sunlight or not same for cave it would have to have blocks over, and if thats not how it would be set up then there are plenty of thing you can do.

I don't think there's a way to have "must have sunlight" plant because of how the game calculates light levels.

dont forget this is a beta complete overhaul mod you could also change it so torchlight and sunlight are two different kinds of light but the other example is easier most likley

How would the sunlight only plants work? Die every night? Replant in the morning? It's a nice idea, but I don't think the engine supports it. We know that we can have a "no light" only plant, but I don't think there's a way to have "must have sunlight" plant because of how the game calculates light levels.

A few ways I could see; working like forges (and DF) where it needs a clear shot upwards to the sky to count as outdoors. As far as I know minecraft has light levels, 15 being sunlight or glowstone, in fact doesn't mushrooms have a maximum light level before it lets you place them? other mods have light level detection, such as equivilent exchanges energy collectors, or IC2's solar panels (though those i think might just be a generic nothing above and is it day detection)

As for the topic, I think it is a really great idea, and no reason why it couldnt be used for more than just wheat.

also for wheat maybe instead of 5% chance to random cultured wheat have it so if its planted in full sunlight it makes heirloom wheat seeds, in a cave with only torchlight drop cave wheat seeds. and if in an extreme biome have it the hard wheat seeds. that way it would work a little more like adaptation

Idk if this was mentioned already, but I think that if this were implimented, the wheat should all drop different types that would create bread with different hunger levels depending on the type used. So that some kinds would be more filling than others.

also for wheat maybe instead of 5% chance to random cultured wheat have it so if its planted in full sunlight it makes heirloom wheat seeds, in a cave with only torchlight drop cave wheat seeds. and if in an extreme biome have it the hard wheat seeds. that way it would work a little more like adaptation

That would be actually great... Adaptation in TFC would be quiet cool and usefull...

I agree with daveris, and Teranz. As much as spontaneous adaptations don't make any sense, it just feels better than relying on a slim chance. (edit: Although considering how much wheat you burn through, it might not really be that slim...but never mind that.) ...Also trees grow instantly too, so it fits.

Another acceptable alternative would be to make base crops grown on fertilized soil guarantee or, preferably, significantly improve the odds of getting climate appropriate seeds.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0