Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
TonyLiberatto

Do You use any TFC Addons?

TFC Addons   23 members have voted

1. 1. Do You Use Any Addons?

• Yes, I just cannot play tfc without, and even wait for the addon to update, before I update to thelatest version
    • No, I think it takes away the purity of the Developers vision of how the mod should be played
    • Only Shaders, mapping, Waila. nothing that adds blocks or items.

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

11 posts in this topic

Since the time of Extrafirma, I have used addons to enhance my experience while playing tfc. I have conflicting feelings about then, and wouldlike to know the opinion of other players.

When I started playing tfc I would not dare change it using an addon, but lately we have so many addons, that I wonder if we are still playing tfc.

Please comment,  

Edited by TonyLiberatto

Personally I don't use any big addons.  Just simple stuff like Waila - I'm not sure if that's even classified as an addon.  I didn't vote because, to a degree it's true that I don't want to change the developers' vision to something unrecognizable, but I'm not that hardcore about it in principle.  I also just like to avoid version conflicts and bugs, and I figure that minimizing my addons is a good way to do that.  Plus, I'm still new enough to the game that it's pretty fun for me in the basic form still.  Maybe as time goes on I'll tire of the base game and try adding more.  A lot of the stuff, when I look at it, it just seems like it goes way over the top - I'd love for the rail system to be improved, but railcraft just seems like it adds way more complication than is necessary, and really a lot of mods seem that way to me.  I think I'm more likely to add really simple mods, like the waterskin one, than giant packs.

Let me just say that in my opinion, the negative response on the poll is a bit silly. As a developer, my vision for players of this mod is that I want you to use addons to enhance your experience. TFC is a ridiculously massive mod that takes a lot of effort to maintain because it is just so huge. All the time I see people who are new to the mod thinking that it is an entire mod pack because it just contains so much. If there is an addon that makes the game more fun for you to play, and might add something that you feel TFC might be missing, by all means please install it.

I have been playing TFC since 78 and have only started modding TFC in 79.

I enjoy playing TFC with and without mods. I myself wrote a mod that assists people in their day to day in game life and was born out of a need to change or enhance the players experience of TFC. I wrote the mod with the intention of trying to stay true with the TFC vision.

As for playing with mods along side TFC I am very selective as I feel some mods enhance the experience and some mods change the experience in good and bad ways.

All in all I think that having mods available to use and adding them at the players/ servers discretion is a good thing and allows players to enjoy TFC how they want.

I am grateful that we have a great base mod in TFC to build from and explore new ideas. Also that we have such active mod developers to spice up TFC in different ways.

Here's another example of a poll where I'd like to vote, but neither of the available options fits my opinion...

They express two extremes of opinion - with no middle ground.

Far better would have been something like "Yes" and "No" (with maybe an intermediate "Only shaders, mapping and WAILA")

I use addons like WAILA, JourneyMap and shaders (which might not be classed as "addons"), but I also love SmartMoving.

I changed the poll to include the 3rd option.for addons that do not modify the game, like shaders and waila. Gotta remember that we do have official support for waila, since Kitty did all that work. I do use Minimaps in my games, but I know that some players are averse to it.

I still remember playing minecraft before there was minimaps, and having to build pillars as a way to orient myself.

I personally do use addons, but I don't find them essential to play. I just see it as a mean to add content where TFC lacks it, or, due to the limited use of some resources, addons help increase it. That's it. Nothing that radically changes gameplay. Also, addons like waila and minimaps, lately I tend to avoid these to keep the immersion and always wonder "What am I looking at?" without receiving a straight answer.

However, like it's been said above, I tend to avoid addons like railcraft, because the technology is just out of place. Maybe the outcomes of the mod, like the bucket of creosote, are kinda right for the game, but the way the mod is presented, with a huge industrial oven, just doesn't fit. Maybe if the oven model and texture changed and the tank ones too, maybe it would appear different.

I don't for fear of compatibility issues. TFC is buggy on its own, without throwing in addons and all of that. It also complicates the process of finding a decent server to play on in the event I want to do mp. Now I gotta go look around for the TFC addons they have, make sure they are all the same version as the server, make sure I have whatever other requirements they may or may not have, spend 15 minutes debugging when MC crashes on startup, etc. I typically only ever use a mod to add a minimap, and frankly TFC is A LOT of work. Its no small task to get a decent setup in the game and haul your way out of the stone age with anvils and all that. The risks of using addons and losing that time or more isn't worth it imho.

Edited by MDub

TFC is buggy on its own

This statement makes me sad. :( Please remember that if you ever come across a bug, that you need to report it on the forums. We can't fix bugs if you don't tell us about them. Very very very few people actually report bugs, so the idea of "everyone must encounter this so the devs must know about it" isn't actually true. Just the other day someone mentioned a bug that has been around since January, asking me if it had been fixed yet. Nobody had ever reported the bug before that moment, so it hadn't been fixed because we didn't even know it was a problem to begin with. It took all of 5 minutes to fix, and could have been done all those months ago if somebody had just reported it sooner. If the bug isn't listed in the change log as fixed, and isn't listed on the official bug list, then you can assume we have absolutely no idea it even exists.

I mean no disrespect. I have submitted bug reports in the past, not so much these days. Its a number of prohibiting factors. Mostly time constraints. I don't get to play TFC often, and even then, given the nature of the game I cannot make that much progress in each of my sessions because TFC demands a lot of time from users for what amounts to small incremental steps of progress in game. Another part is the nature of the forums, which also factors into time. Its not exactly easy to find out if someone has reported a bug, and it requires more time than I usually have to commit to read through the bugs list, support questions, and the follow up chain of posts and all that. That and the somewhat hostile attitude toward posts that violate rules, which can only really be strictly followed if you have invested the aforementioned time to investigation. Not that I don't understand why the rules are there, and agree with their purpose. It just doesn't make things easy for a person in my position. So yeah... don't be sad about the mod having bugs... pretty much every piece of software does, but there being no official support for these addons that I'm aware of, its only reasonable to assume that they come with an 'at your own risk' label.

Edited by MDub