Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
TonyLiberatto

Boats and Ships

77 posts in this topic

So after this much talking about how tfc2 is going to work around the concept of Islands increasing in dificult, and how some ores will only spawn in those hard to survive Islands.

It got me questioning how we will be doing all the traveling. The minecraft boat is really bad as everyone but mojang knows.

We have tried all the existing boat and ship mods and they all have many problems, specially in a multiplayer enviroment.

My question is are we going to have a better water transport?

What are the Dev's thoughts on that? 

Well this is a subject that I've been putting off saying anything about until someone asked... Mostly because I'm not entirely sure how my decision will be regarded.

At this time, my current plans are to skip out on boat travel entirely. As you've stated, boats in general have a lot of issues, many that are exacerbated by multiplayer. I don't think that I would be able to get anything that I'm happy with working in any reasonable amount of time when you consider ALL of the other things that still need to be done. Some features just require their own mod. I would love to see someone else come along and create a boat mod specifically for TFC2 that really does it justice. However, I'm of the mind that I would rather skip out on boat transportation than create a half-hearted solution that I'm straight up unhappy with.

Instead, I'll be focusing on some sort of teleportation system to make travel between islands much easier. I've not sat down to really come up with the specifics but it'll be a more advanced nether portal type of thing.

Thanks for the answer Bioxx. Yeah, I agree that a TP will work better than having to use the Vanilla Boat, heck anything is better than that.

Man, I just wish someone would code for the Vanilla boat to stop breaking , even making it indestructible, would be enough to make it usable. It would not feel natural, but so is breaking for no reason.

Now, for the TP system, what if you need materials from the second Island in order to create the Portal to the Third Island? And so on and so forth? It would be a way to lead the player into following a progression.

YES! Ive been waiting for this announcement of fast travel 'teleportation'. It will definitely make me start playing again. The sheer distances required to find something and then having to travel back long ways was always off-putting in my mind. I used the Enhanced Portals mod for a while but it wasn't entirely compatible (had to cheat in required blocks using creative mode).

Edited by Terex

Glad to see that at least the initial reaction is in favor. As to the material requirement, my initial vision for it is to require the player to find the correct sequence stones somewhere on the island and install them on that islands teleportation device to allow porting to the next island.

YES! Ive been waiting for this announcement of fast travel 'teleportation'. It will definitely make me start playing again. The sheer distances required to find something and then having to travel back long ways was always off-putting in my mind. I used the Enhanced Portals mod for a while but it wasn't entirely compatible (had to cheat in required blocks using creative mode).

One of the features that I always liked in tfc multiplayer is the need to build roads. Yes they do not offer much, but when traveling between towns, or to and from the Main Spawn/market a road makes traveling a lot safer and faster. When in a road you know you will not fall in Lava or a ravine. 

That said what I understood  from Bioxx answer is that TP will be needed to travel between Islands, Inside the Island you still will need to travel by conventional methods.

Not sure how useful roads will be when all the changes are done, But I think there will still be a lot of walking.

Glad to see that at least the initial reaction is in favor. As to the material requirement, my initial vision for it is to require the player to find the correct sequence stones somewhere on the island and install them on that islands teleportation device to allow porting to the next island.

Oh, is this some sort of minigame, perhaps like the research in thaumcraft? Wonderful! Even if it's not that complex, it could make things even funnier.

Maybe make the portal look like Stonehenge? Just wondering.. :D

As an addendum, my current concept is centered around having 4 static portals in each cardinal direction of the island. From there, you travel North/South/East/West. So yes, conventional movement is still required, but we are skipping out on the 1k-3k ocean voyage. I've been pondering a way to allow skipping multiple islands to reach a desired specific island, but it would need to be that is not easy to attain. Potentially linked to the magic system. We'll have to see.

I was wondering if it would be a "one islnd" hop, or allow for multiple islands.

Perhaps if there was a requirement for an item (such as a particular mineral) to be able to travel to a particular island - or maybe a paticular item always transports 1 or 2 or 3 islands in the given cardinal direction?

Maybe have a keystone type item that can be bound to a certain island's portal, so the player will have to have visited the target island at least once. As well as implementing a range factor that way players aren't traveling ridiculous distances.

Edited by Powerman913717

I would not mind having to build a road or rail road to travel inside each Island. It would be a way to prove that you really conquered that Island. 

How big are these islands we are talking about? Some 5000 blocks in diameter, or more? I hope the islands will feature different biomes and that they will not look all alike. Hopefully the (north/south) pole to equator system is preserved. 

Maybe have a keystone type item that can be bound to a certain island's portal, so the player will have to have visited the target island at least once. As well as implementing a range factor that way players aren't traveling ridiculous distances.

But that would force the player to travel by sea over 3000 blocks. That's not a thing I want to do for every new island.

My idea was that since every island could have a fortress you have to conquer, in that fortress there was some sort of map room, or even just a library room where you could get hints for the surrounding islands, and also a bunch of those sequence stones maybe, then after reading the map, or book, or whatever you find there, you know how to place those stones in a certain order in the portal to travel to the new island. Or, in addition to locations of islands, the room could also have possible locations for sequence stones. Yeah, possible, not certain locations, to ensure a player doesn't always find them there an has to look in another location, exploring the entire island as a consequence.

Also, another thing I was thinking, we have an awesome chisel in TFC, why not use it to upgrade the portal of your home island to allow you to travel further.

Sometimes in those libraries/map rooms you could also find blueprints to "enhance" portals, thus allowing you to travel east 2 islands instea of 1. Of course that wouldn't be very cheap. With the blueprint, you also need materials gathered in said island, such as particular metals, that you would later place near the portal and chisel them until the portal was identical to the blueprint. The first idea I had (and I write it here just to give you the same idea, not to actually make the portal so expensive) was of a portal surrounded on the outer edges by gold blocks that have been chiseled to give the portal a better look. Note again: that's only to show you my first thought, I don't really mean to really want a portal that expensive.

But that would force the player to travel by sea over 3000 blocks. That's not a thing I want to do for every new island.

That's not what I mean, that's for if someone wants to effectively skip several islands at one time with one teleport. They could still use the teleport devices Bioxx was talking about to bind the keystone to that particular device.

How big are these islands we are talking about? Some 5000 blocks in diameter, or more? I hope the islands will feature different biomes and that they will not look all alike. Hopefully the (north/south) pole to equator system is preserved. 

I'd suggest you follow Bioxx on twitter, as well as read every other thread in the TFC2 forum, because this has already been discussed. Islands are 4,000 blocks wide. There are 9 of them going north/south with a single climate per island. Islands go on infinitely in the X direction. Bioxx has also posted screenshots on his twitter of different island features, like large valleys, massive ravines, cliffs, etc.

Also, another thing I was thinking, we have an awesome chisel in TFC, why not use it to upgrade the portal of your home island to allow you to travel further.

The chisel will not be in TFC2 due to the limitations of Minecraft 1.8. In order to just add detailed mode, we would have to create 512! json files for the block models. That's factorial, not excitement. As in 512*511*510*509... etc, which results in a number that has 1,167 digits in it. The number one million only has 7 digits in it.

One thing you could do Bioxx is to make each portal within a certain range have a gate address, kinda like a Stargate. Might be a bit too complex to make all the symbols, but an angular writing system could easily make millions of unique characters. I am currently working on such a system right now and I have enough symbols to use ever phonetic sound the human vocal cord can produce with plenty of space left, so it might work for the purpose of coordinate-based "portal addresses" then again this may be hard to implement and I may just be a loon. Lol. Anyways that's my idea, take it how you will. ^-^

Edited by Mathias Ademar

One thing you could do Bioxx is to make each portal within a certain range have a gate address, kinda like a Stargate. Might be a bit too complex to make all the symbols, but an angular writing system could easily make millions of unique characters. I am currently working on such a system right now and I have enough symbols to use ever phonetic sound the human vocal cord can produce with plenty of space left, so it might work for the purpose of coordinate-based "portal addresses" then again this may be hard to implement and I may just be a loon. Lol. Anyways that's my idea, take it how you will. ^-^

That's pretty much what I've been thinking. I haven't really given it much deep thought however.

That's pretty much what I've been thinking. I haven't really given it much deep thought however.

Epic, can't wait to see what your mind churns out. :P

Will it be possible to move the portal locations to any degree, or will they be totaly fixed?

For initial portals at least, I would want them to be fixed. that way there is a reason for infrastructure possibly. As for w/e incarnation that late-game portals take on, we'll see.

I was thinking about this a little bit, and to an extent this kinda sounds like the 1.9 ender portal thingys that let you move on to the other islands in the end. Is this an accurate comparison?

If the portals could be moved around it would be the same as free teleport everywhere. I know is not my decision, but I dislike the idea of teleports in general. The only thing that gets me on the idea of the tp from one island to another is to avoid having to use the vanilla boats. To be honest I would prefer if it was possible to fix the boats. 

It would feel more natural and immersive. 

If is not possible, I would ask please to keep the tp Portals to the minimum necessary. 

The way I see, you will be traveling North, until you reach the Northern most place in this Island, from there you will have a Portal to the south of the Island North of your location.

If minecraft was a different game, you could even have some barges or ships and a little cinematics to give the impression of traveling by sea. 

I once played in a server, where they had a system like that.

You would go to a dock and inside a ship, where you clicked a sign and it would tp you to an identical ship in another location, it was cool and kept the immersion.

In our server we do not use Teleport at all. People have an incentive to build roads and to cooperate.

I understand that people have different play styles, this is just how I like to play. PVE and not PVP, more close communities so there is more integration.

Edited by TonyLiberatto

If you don't like tps or vanilla boats, why not just install cuchaz's ships mod and call it a day? Lol you aren't required to use the portals, just makes established travel a bit faster than a 4k swim. Lol

We tried Cuchaz ships, they are very nice, but not good for a multiplayer enviroment. The amnount of Lag the existing ship mods cause in any server, make it prohibitive to use it.

To be honest we have try all the existing ship mods out there, none of then worked in a satisfactory way. they may work good for single player, or even for a small multipllayer, but for a real server that sometimes have more than 20 player online at the same time, they don't. 

In the end, without a portal the trip between Islands would be really troublesome. I still do not like tp's, but they are better then the alternative. having to swim because your boat broke for no apparent reason.

thanks the Dev;s for realizing the need for a safer trip between the Islands.