Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Jonsquatch

How you "pitch" TFC to new players?

8 posts in this topic

Heya folks. I've started getting an itch for TFC again lately, and since I am once again employed now (yeah!) I've been looking into starting a private Minecraft server with a few friends. We had a vanilla Realms server a while back, which was great, but this time around we're looking into going modded. We have a few ideas as far as the modlist goes, but I want to try and pitch the idea of a TFC based server to them. Considering they've both never been introduced to "the TFC Experience" I'm currently mulling over how best to explain the nature of the mod and why it's fun - some of the early-game mechanics of TFC can sometimes seem a bit unnecessarily cruel to new players and I want to try and play up its best aspects without being untruthful.

So long story short, I'm curious as to how other people pitch TFC to their friends/family members/possibly interested players. How do you get people interested in the idea of trying it without scaring them off?

It's magical.

In all seriousness, I usually just tell people that it's survival minecraft with more survival elements.  Thirst, pottery, can't punch trees with your fists, and the night is something to be very afraid of.  But in the end, once you have a settlement going, the hardships of getting through that initial year of hiding in caves/thatch huts is worth it once you get a bi-yearly harvest of crops and a palisaded town with a mine and metalworking.

My pitch is that TFC is a more believably medieval Minecraft.

I've never pitched it to anyone, but I think a good start might be the very different ore mechanics, and how much more exciting it seems to find a big pocket of rich ore, vs just finding lots of little scattered pockets as in vanilla.  Also the sense of accomplishment in setting up a bloomery or blast furnace, or making a nice big pile of ingots, or smithing tools, weapons, and armor, rather than assembling them from raw ingots.

I say it is realistic minecraft and proceed to explain the more realistic aspects as improvements over minecraft (punching trees etc)

It's got geology. Enough said :D

I run a server on peaceful but players can still die occasionally by not being careful. I've found this is enough reality to get them in. Not too many skeletons, zombies or creepers around in the real world which makes life much more productive.  :) 

When Bear Grylls finishes drinking his own piss and eating scorpions, he relaxes with TFC.

Posted Image