Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
KsterNator

Dump ability on crucibles

29 posts in this topic

Have you read, understood, and followed all of the rules listed in large text at the top of the suggestions forum? (Yes/No): Yes

Answering "no" to the above question will result in your post being deleted.

When alloying in a crucible i tend to not be paying attention when making bronze and the sort and i add a bronze ingot to my copper and tin mixture. Resulting in a ton of unknown ingots. So i propose a button in the crucible gui that dumps the contents in the crucible into nothingness. To prevent accidents (aka deleting some high tier steel accidentally.) a warning message that says, "Are you sure you want to dump this material" then there would be a yes/no button(s). This would be a helpful little thing to be added.

Unknown ingots can be stacked in piles now.  If you really don't want the ingots taking any space up, just throw them on the ground and wait for them to disappear.

Unknown ingots can be stacked in piles now.  If you really don't want the ingots taking any space up, just throw them on the ground and wait for them to disappear.

I know you can do that its just the wasted time and ceramic molds used to empty out each ingot

I know you can do that its just the wasted time and ceramic molds used to empty out each ingot

Can you not just make more ingot molds?  Clay seems to be a fairly abundant resource.

Can you not just make more ingot molds?  Clay seems to be a fairly abundant resource.

I know that but its the the uselessness of the ingots makes it not worth your time and effort

I know that but its the the uselessness of the ingots makes it not worth your time and effort

Well, you're not exactly playing under a time limit.  Just cast the unknowns and re-smelt your bronze mixture.

Well, you're not exactly playing under a time limit.  Just cast the unknowns and re-smelt your bronze mixture.

Your kinda missing my point here. I specifically DONT want to cast all the unknown ingots.

Your kinda missing my point here. I specifically DONT want to cast all the unknown ingots.

I'm not really understanding your logic.  Can you explain more thoroughly?

He doesn't want to be bothered by the useless metal and want to straight out dump the content of the crucible to nothigness, just like what you would do with a barrel's liquid, and not wasting clay for that.

But how would you properly feel the shame? I think of it as a bit of a right of passage to pour out each and every ingot. It is great that they can now be stacked. It you really don't want to deal with it make a new crucible.

But how would you properly feel the shame? I think of it as a bit of a right of passage to pour out each and every ingot. It is great that they can now be stacked. It you really don't want to deal with it make a new crucible.

You would still feel the shame of getting rid of all that wasted material.

The short answer is no. I'd like for dealing with unknown metal to be as painful and shaming as possible, because then you're going to be a lot more careful the next time you use a crucible. :) If you can just click a button and erase all evidence of your mistake in an instant, the shame really isn't as bad.

To me the waste of materials is what really hurts.  I don't think it's even possible for me to feel shamed by a mistake in a video game.  However, if that's a desired game element, then I would recommend that instead of just dumping it into nothingness, it forms the material into a plaque, which reads "Dumbass".  You can then hang this above your forge as a reminder.  :D

Can't you just break the crucible with a pick and then replace it? Forgive me, because it's been a long time since I would have done that but don't the contents just disappear?

No, crucibles retain their contents when broken.

Well that's good to know! I probably never even tried it out of fear of losing the contents. In that case, I definitely am in favor of a dump feature. If we create unknown metal, we already lost all that metal. There's no need to add insult to injury and cause wasted time. I don't mind grinding mundane tasks toward a goal or gain - that's why I like TFC. But grinding a mundane task to throw something away? That's not why anyone in their right mind plays videos games.

If you don't want to use ingot molds to pull it out, you can always just make a new crucible and throw that entire one away. A crucible at maximum holds 30 ingots, which really don't take very long to fill at all. I specifically increased the rate at which the crucible pours a while ago so it was easier to quickly empty it. There's only a 1 in 20 chance that an ingot mold will break, so you would maybe lose 2 ingots for the entire batch if you are unlucky.

Why should shame be important - the shame if anything is that you've just lost heaps of valuable resources - If there *were*  to be a "dump" button it wouldn't reduce that.I tend to agree with the OP that it's a lot of extra time and energy wasted for nothing - oh and unless you've got an exact multiple of 100 units in the crucible you'll lose another mould.

Either way if you are either pouring out the metal or making a new crucible or dumping all the material your are still getting rid of wasted material so none of its going to be of any use

Either way if you are either pouring out the metal or making a new crucible or dumping all the material your are still getting rid of wasted material so none of its going to be of any use

It doesn't make any sense to code something entirely new into the game when you can already do it in just a couple minutes ingame anyways.

It doesn't make any sense to code something entirely new into the game when you can already do it in just a couple minutes ingame anyways.

Look. Some people don't mind pouring out the contents of the crucible and some people don't. I'm in the don't group. Why force people to do something they don't want or enjoy to do? If some told you to eat something you dont like and only had one choice (yes) would you still be okay with it?

You ever tried dumping 25 or 30 ingots - that takes a lot more time than "a couple [of] minutes".Definitely in the "don't" group :)(This discussion is now probably academic anyway, going from what Kitty wrote earlier.)

Edited by ChunkHunter

Look. Some people don't mind pouring out the contents of the crucible and some people don't. I'm in the don't group. Why force people to do something they don't want or enjoy to do? If some told you to eat something you dont like and only had one choice (yes) would you still be okay with it?

You ever tried dumping 25 or 30 ingots - that takes a lot more time than "a couple [of] minutes".

Definitely in the "don't" group :)

(This discussion is now probably academic anyway, going from what Kitty wrote earlier.)

I regularly smelt batches of 18-27 ingots of bronze.  I don't alloy very often (I usually just stick to iron/steel), but when I do mess up, it really isn't that much effort.  You could be getting a second batch of metal/ore ready in the meantime, or generally doing other things (organizing, getting a trash pit ready for the trash ingots, etc.)

I find having a barrel of water ready for cooling ingots down is good practice, as it lets you almost instantly remove the ingots from the mold and re-use it (if you're in short supply for molds, that is.)

If you're having difficulty smelting bronze and are getting unknown mixtures all the time, I would suggest simply having your inventory empty of any ingots except for your tin and copper ratio.

In general, TFC is a very unforgiving game.  If you mess up, you will have to pay the consequences.

Edited by Ancaladar

In general, TFC is a very unforgiving game.  If you mess up, you will have to pay the consequences.

Such is life.

If you are too prone to mixing up bad batches of alloys, I suggest you to have the wiki open every single time you play TFC.

Its not that im bad at making alloys some times i just throw an accidental item into the crucible