Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
TonyLiberatto

General Damage tweaking.

37 posts in this topic

I am creating a new server, and want to make it harder to survive.

Does anyone knows how or if is possible to tweak all Damages?

Like how much damage a player gets from a mob, or fall or drowning?

Also hunger and thirst.

Just a side note, there's a bug in Cauldron that makes general damage do the vanilla amount. If you don't use cauldron, general damage is the TFC scale.

I'm aware of that. Kitty. Thanks. We actually want to go beyond the regular damage and make it much harder to survive in the wild if you are not in a group. So Cauldron apart, is there any config or another mod that we could have and it would allow us to tweak those values?

This is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks a lot. 

Now I wish we could mess with hunger and thirst values. that would really be something.

You do know that there's no longer starvation damage right? It's just nutritional drain, which simulates the 3 days without food common theory at which point you'll be completely drained of nutrition and have only 50 HP left. That and the weakness/mining fatigue when the bar is low enough. If you don't mind the slowness, and you aren't in an area that's over a temp of 35, you can leave your thirst bar empty all the time.

The idea is to disable tfc protection, so players in this server will need to rely on light levels to avoid mob spawning. So with low HP any mob encounter will be devastating. 

Since we are in the subject of food. We feel that food is to abundant in tfc. Is there any way to disable food drop from all wild crops? I am OK with berries, but I wished things like grains and vegetables would only drop seeds. 

In some areas there are so much wild food that the player never needs to farm.

No, there's not. There was a change that was made for .25 however that means all wild crops will die of old age regardless of what you have the enableCropsDie config option set to. So your fast growing crops like onions will have already died of old age if you go out foraging in early autumn for wild food.

Also remember that there are config options that allow you to crank up the decay rate on food, therefore limiting it a bit more. Combine that with enableCropsDie so players can't "preserve" their food by leaving it on the plant. You can also edit the crop growth multiplier, so everything takes even longer to grow.

The config to kill old crops, make the game hard, any fail in farm lost your seeds.

Longer years make the farming more slow, i think

For hard play, i sugest you make all the veins small, have a huge amount of ore in one vein to sustain all the server. :)

For hard play, i sugest you make all the veins small, have a huge amount of ore in one vein to sustain all the server. :)

Seems like it would be incredibly easy for a single faction to control the main vein and thus all metal on the server, then.

We are planing on having the server set to 360 days so crops should take longer to grow. Not sure if I want to change decay rates. We need to do some testing on that to find the sweet spot.

please understand that I am in no way shape or form complaining about the settings in default tfc. We are trying to create a server tweaked for special taste.

Since I am no coder I cant say how hard it would be to have the option for wild crops to not drop food and only drop seeds. It gives me the impression that it is feasible by a check , is plant on dirt or on tile block?

If on dirt drop only seed if on tile drop dirt and food.

Again, just because I think is feasible does not mean it really is or how hard it would be to do it.

Would you take this as a suggestion? and let me know if you feel like doing it?

I suspect I am not the only one that would use this config option if it existed.

Again thanks for the prompt answer. We can always count on you.

Seems like it would be incredibly easy for a single faction to control the main vein and thus all metal on the server, then.

I believe what he was trying to say is that on the default settings, a single vein is large enough to sustain an entire server, so if you want a more difficult game it's a good idea to tweak the configs and make veins smaller.

I believe what he was trying to say is that on the default settings, a single vein is large enough to sustain an entire server, so if you want a more difficult game it's a good idea to tweak the configs and make veins smaller.

Ah, gotcha.  That seems reasonable, and would definitely increase difficulty.

The config to kill old crops, make the game hard, any fail in farm lost your seeds.

Longer years make the farming more slow, i think

I agree, I do not like the option to kill crops either. Is a hard balance between too easy and so hard that people rage quit.

We actually are planing on making a cooperative server. the idea is to have all players belonging to the same town and everyone will help build the Spawn area in a legit way. We hope it will be fun.

We are planing on having the server set to 360 days so crops should take longer to grow. Not sure if I want to change decay rates. We need to do some testing on that to find the sweet spot.

please understand that I am in no way shape or form complaining about the settings in default tfc. We are trying to create a server tweaked for special taste.

Since I am no coder I cant say how hard it would be to have the option for wild crops to not drop food and only drop seeds. It gives me the impression that it is feasible by a check , is plant on dirt or on tile block?

If on dirt drop only seed if on tile drop dirt and food.

Again, just because I think is feasible does not mean it really is or how hard it would be to do it.

Would you take this as a suggestion? and let me know if you feel like doing it?

I suspect I am not the only one that would use this config option if it existed.

Again thanks for the prompt answer. We can always count on you.

You do realize that adding a system like that just means that players are going to kill all wild crops the moment they come across them? There would be absolutely no need to ever wait for a wild crop to reach maturity, because you're going to get seeds either way. The only reason a player would ever wait until it reaches maturity is so that breaking it increases their agriculture skill, but if they're forced to grow the crops on farmland and harvest those anyways there's really no point in it.

When the wild crops have food on them, players are a bit more hesitant to destroy them all, which also gives newer players on the server a fighting chance to get some stuff from the wild plants too. Otherwise you're pretty much just going to end up with a few players who broke all the plants first and have all the seeds, and likely won't share, meaning everybody else is screwed until the next year comes around and more crops pop up.

Thanks, Kitty.

@Tony, i dont remember if the DarkAge have the towny despawn mobs, this (IMO) break the small needs to buila a  secure house, normaly if any server have this im live in a camp (openfloor)

-----------------
If wild crops dont drop food, at the start server many people go to starvation, all have butcher skill low, any animals killed drop low meat, and need to preserve for ranching.
Fishing need string or wool, fruits need a time to produce and one tree dont make expressive amounts.

How to obatin starting foods?

--------------------------------

I agree with the crops old die, is a bit tragic, but challenge any farmer to learn and know, maybe create the need to input knowledge ingame, making info signs or books, sound interesting, but have the chance to cause a misfortune, and the fall of yours survivor,

In my mind, in survival way food is a very precious resource, this have first priority.

------------------------------
Another way is to you block the farmland placement of seeds (Blocking the farm/fruits) basic food is gathered only in wild, (meat and cheese remaining)

This way force the preservation of the spare food gathered around the exploration.

Edited by CalangoMC

One of the things we are tweaking, is how towny works.  Right now all a player has to do is create a town and magically there is no more monsters inside that area. We want to disable that, so people will need to light up the area and build fences and walls to protect against monsters. the idea is to make the server in a way that people need to cooperate to survive and build. No more Hermits.

One thing to keep in mind with the enableCropsDie config option is that it takes quite a bit of time before the crop will actually die. The official calculation is that the crop has been at the mature stage for as much time as half of it's normal growth period.

So if an onion takes 20 days to reach maturity, you've got another 10 days before it will actually die. The key thing the config option prevents is players who let those onions they planted on the first of spring stick around until the day before the first frost, and then harvest them all to have a full, fresh stock for winter.

You do realize that adding a system like that just means that players are going to kill all wild crops the moment they come across them? There would be absolutely no need to ever wait for a wild crop to reach maturity, because you're going to get seeds either way. The only reason a player would ever wait until it reaches maturity is so that breaking it increases their agriculture skill, but if they're forced to grow the crops on farmland and harvest those anyways there's really no point in it.

When the wild crops have food on them, players are a bit more hesitant to destroy them all, which also gives newer players on the server a fighting chance to get some stuff from the wild plants too. Otherwise you're pretty much just going to end up with a few players who broke all the plants first and have all the seeds, and likely won't share, meaning everybody else is screwed until the next year comes around and more crops pop up.

that's not what I mean kitty. 

let me see if I can explain my idea. Sometimes I have a hard time translating my meaning.

Right now if I am not mistaken crops naturally spawn and re spawn in the world, every year. So if I harvest all the onions in one place they  will re spawn again next year. At least that is what I see in my games.

So if a player goes by a field and finds some wild crops he can harvest all of then or just a few. It does not matter next year it will be there again.

Actually if you know you will only get seeds once you have enough to start your farm there will be no reason to break the crops. Like if I already have 64 onion seeds, why am I bothering to get more?

As far as helping a new player survive, that;s the reason why I asked for a config option. I do not believe is something that would appease all players, but I also believe there are a whole bunch that are bothered by how easy is to just go around collecting food in the wild.

On the last map we had a town called Juteville. there was so much Jute around the town that no one in the neighborhood ever needed to plant Jute. All they need was to make a visit to Juteville and collect jute on the way there and back.

A config option like that would prevent this kind of behavior,

The change for .25 already helps prevent that behavior. One of the primary reason that there is such an abundance of wild food and crops is because if that area never freezes, or is never loaded during freezing times of the year, then those existing crops stay put, and more crops spawn alongside them. With this new change, there's only going to be a very specific time of year that players will be able to get wild crops. Onions will only be able to be gathered from the wild in early to mid-summer, because they will reach maturity quickly, and therefore also die of old age quickly. If a player goes exploring in autumn in search for wild food, the only thing they are going to find are the crops that take a very long time to grow, like maize.

Also, like CalangoMC asked, how are you planning on feeding your players at the very beginning if they can't get wild crops?

Ok so if I understand the new update will force all wild crops to die, regardless of the config option for farmed crops. That means that you already have a system in place that differentiate a farmed crop from a wild crop and change their behavior. So it is possible to make wild crops never drop food and only drop seeds.

To be honest I have no idea how easy or hard it would be to survive without wild crops. the only way would be to try it. Is kind of late here in Florida and I have work tomorrow. I will try a single player and see how long can I survive without food from wild crops.

As for Calango comments, since I am asking for a config option I cannot understand his reservations. A config option that is off by default would only affect players that change it. He would still be able to play the game the way he likes it.  

Have to go sleep now. I will check this tomorrow.

If your looking to make things harder, and don't mind adding new mods, you can always add block physics and better sleeping, while being hard to balance properly, they do make the game harder but not tedious if done properly. If your doing everything you say you plan to do, you shouldn't have to worry about making crops so incredibly scarce.

You're asking for a config option that will affect an entire server. If he wants to play on your server, then that config option does directly affect how he can play it while on your server.

As for the system that checks for wild/farmland crops, that is handled directly in the code for the tile entity, and only within the method that updates when it is ticking. Getting drops is handled in the code for the block. Two completely separate classes.

Tony, the wild crops dont is the problem, farming produce much more food than the wild huge spawning, 1 chunk of farm is better than any wild chunk, because the wild chunk need many years spawnning to produce the same amount but the farmland is near the player.

The problem with "wild crop spawning" is solved to 0.25, think dont have more spare crops "in to the wild" (i like this film,  o_O)

scarcity is the "need" for a coop play in TFC, if anyone have all the things he need, he dont need anyone, he is free and independence.

TFC needs to play:

Food - life maintenance
armor/weapons - defense from hostiles

tools - for production  of food/weapons

if you have all this easy and all the time you dont need nothing more.

Food, decay with time, and this make a ciclic need to produce food (but is easy to make food in regular way)

weapons is only consumed if you have a constant hostile ambience, if you find a easy peaceful way , this is broken because you dont consume your defensives.

tools the issue on this is many times you consume tools to produce more tools resourses, one picaxe fullyconsumed dont gather resources for 2 or 3 new picaxes, but for more 30~40.
Consuming one picaxe to produce 10 news, make any world replenished of picaxes very easy.

Same real world, the "need" to keep TFC playing is increasing the consume of stuffs and/or lowering the gather ways.

All is my vision/opinion.

-----------------------

Thanks for all, but is time to go to out off-topic.
This is starting about mobs damage (remember!?)

--------
*****in-time :@Tony: The aswer about how the starting player have food if wild crops dont have food drop, need reponses!?

Edited by CalangoMC

If your looking to make things harder, and don't mind adding new mods, you can always add block physics and better sleeping, while being hard to balance properly, they do make the game harder but not tedious if done properly. If your doing everything you say you plan to do, you shouldn't have to worry about making crops so incredibly scarce.

Thanks for the tips, I will try them.

You're asking for a config option that will affect an entire server. If he wants to play on your server, then that config option does directly affect how he can play it while on your server.

As for the system that checks for wild/farmland crops, that is handled directly in the code for the tile entity, and only within the method that updates when it is ticking. Getting drops is handled in the code for the block. Two completely separate classes.

Yeah, I concede it could affect him as well. 

In any case this is just an idea and like any other idea it would need to be implemented and tested before we would know if it works or not. There is a chance that if you do go and create the config option we after testing would decide not to use it. 

I believe I would like this option, I think I would use it. Am I 100% sure it would work in the multiplayer environment? No. And I cant be until is tested.

I think most features start like that. I remember when Bioxx started to tweak with chests and inventories. It took a while to find a place where most players were comfortable.

I would also understand you not wanting to waste your time implementing an idea with no warranties like this.