Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Kill3rCat

Wild Crops = Weeds

21 posts in this topic

Have you read, understood, and followed all of the rules listed in large text at the top of the suggestions forum?(Yes/No): 
Answering "no" to the above question will result in your post being deleted.

Aye.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, they seem a little common, yes?

This is less a suggestion, and more me begging on my knees. Decrease the spawn rate of wild crops, please! In the current build, agriculture is pretty much obsolete because nature has handed us a lifetime of green munchies on a plate. Yummy. I am not sure how common they would be in real life, in wild land, but I think in both terms of believability and gameplay, the current figure is way off the mark.

That's pretty much all there is to say. Thoughts?

Edited by Kill3rCat

That's primarily because if the area isn't loaded during freezing temperatures, the old ones don't die when the new ones pop up in the spring. This has already been fixed for .25

That's primarily because if the area isn't loaded during freezing temperatures, the old ones don't die when the new ones pop up in the spring. This has already been fixed for .25

<3

So, when's .25 rolling out? :D

I miss the days when if you found wild crops, you felt like a god.

Edited by Kill3rCat

As soon as I finish the last little project I'm working on. The past few releases have been around the 15th of the month.

'Last little project'? The ambiguity has me excited.

Edited by Kill3rCat

It's nothing big. Just some obscure bug fixes to help a bit with performance. Most players won't even notice the change.

Also, please make sure you are following rule # 1 of the suggestions forum. This topic is still on the front page of this forum, and discusses the exact same thing: http://terrafirmacraft.com/f/topic/8684-tweak-crops-production-relative-to-nutrients-in-the-soil/

Also, another thing though I don't want to make another thread, but fissures in the landscape, ravines and lava pools seem far too common as well. Is it just that the region of the world I spawned in happens to be extremely volcanic, or is it more a world generation issue?

Edit: Ah, sorry. I usually search thread titles, I don't have time to go through every page of every thread looking for something vaguely similar to my post. Sorry.

Edited by Kill3rCat

That would be a seismically active area. If you dislike them, there's a config option to change how often they spawn.

That would be a seismically active area. If you dislike them, there's a config option to change how often they spawn.

Ah, great! My problem was it made ores way too easy to find, I managed to find a bismuth vein, two coal veins, two copper veins and a magnetite vein exposed due to fissures and 'ravines'. Cheers!

Edited by Kill3rCat

At least ravines are useful. My base is set in an area with an insane amount of hot springs (I think I just got "lucky", haven't seen an analogue of that crazy place). My house has a hot spring behind it, my smithery has a spring beneath it and in front of it. I found a bear in a hot spring and two horses in hot springs. I'm thinking of creating some kind of a Roman bath building since there are so. many. hot springs.

I was wondering, what do the different values in the 'cave-ins' options mean? I was going to decrease the chance of cave-ins, since they seem pretty ridiculous right now. A 1x2 (1-wide, 2-high) corridor of stone, with a few turns and twists in it will almost immediately cave in on itself. It seems also rather strange that a thin wooden support does a better job of holding up stone than... a block of stone. Huh?

Edit: You know, nevermind. I think I was just rather unlucky. Cave-ins still happen but they're rather small and don't tend to kill me too often. They don't seem to happen as frequently now, fortunately. In fact, there are times when it feels there should be cave-ins but the game couldn't care less because psuedo-random chance says 'no cave in, matey'.

Edited by Kill3rCat

Does this mean planted crops will no longer stay alive indefinitly?

Edited by CorpseDrop

Does this mean planted crops will no longer stay alive indefinitly?

No. The change only affects wild crops. Crops that have been planted on farmland are not affected.

Seriously.  There's like 20 corn plants in something like a 2x4 chunk area.  It's crazy how much wild food spawns in my area, I can just live off it and not worry about having to plant stuff.

maybe wild food gives less food than tilled soil grown crops and possibly less chance for seeds, like 50% or 65%

Actually i would prefer farming to be pushed to the metal age. When you explore out for metals and such you can find wild crops eventually and that would be enough for you for a while. Also why add 1 tool that doesnt have a feature every other type has? (Four if you want to go into detail)

Also why add 1 tool that doesnt have a feature every other type has? (Four if you want to go into detail)

The nutrient mode doesn't exist in the stone hoe because otherwise metal hoes in TFC will be the equivalent of a diamond hoe in vanilla, nobody ever bothers to make them because there's really no point. There is no efficiency when using a hoe, so literally the only thing you gain is durability, and rocks are cheap.

There is no efficiency when using a hoe, so literally the only thing you gain is durability, and rocks are cheap.

Well, there's always making hoeing ground take some time.  Like mining or chopping wood.  Then there would be efficiency.   On the balance a player doesn't need nearly as much farm ground as they do mining of rock, or probably even chopping of wood I'd guess.  So might not be too grindy?

The hoe uses a right-click action to till soil, so we'd have to implement an entirely new system to use the same efficiency scaling that is used for tools to break blocks. There are multiple specific methods explicitly for getting the dig speed of a tool against specific blocks, as well as a registry for it. There's no such thing for right-click actions other than a general timer of how long you have to hold right click until the animation completes.

Right, but the hoe has no left-click use, so it could be switched over?  I guess all the left click actions I can think of remove a block rather than change it to another though.  Perhaps best considered a TFC2 idea, though this is not that forum.

My personal opinion on the subject is that wild crop spawning should be drastically decreased, stone hoes should take obnoxiously long times to till (or be removed), (basically) forcing you to use copper or better, so that the stone age gets prolonged and of course, so that hoes become more useful as they get better. Maybe animal drawn ploughs/seeders for faster tilling?