Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Kittychanley

TFC Myths

65 posts in this topic

Myth: Using bellows speeds up smelting

(it doesn't, right? Just increases maximum potential temperature?)

Things heat at a fixed rate regardless of forge temperature. As long as forge has fuel it will heat. Bellows increase temp of forge at cost of more fuel, which increases max temp the items can reach. The rate isn't exactly hard coded as I know TerraFirmaTweaks lets you set it. I think most if not all heatable items heat at 1oC per tick. But I may have the units wrong.

Myth: Using bellows speeds up smelting

(it doesn't, right? Just increases maximum potential temperature?)

It speeds up the rate at which the forge heats up, but it does not speed up the rate at which the items inside the forge heat up.

Things heat at a fixed rate regardless of forge temperature. As long as forge has fuel it will heat. Bellows increase temp of forge at cost of more fuel, which increases max temp the items can reach. The rate isn't exactly hard coded as I know TerraFirmaTweaks lets you set it. I think most if not all heatable items heat at 1oC per tick. But I may have the units wrong.

There is a vanilla config option to tweak the rate at which items heat up. Each thing also has its own specific heat, and therefore will heat up at a different rate compared to other things.

One type of bronze is superior to another regarding damage/durability.   I keep hearing this but can find nothing on the forum or wiki.

One type of bronze is superior to another regarding damage/durability.   I keep hearing this but can find nothing on the forum or wiki.

This is true, and is actually the same for stone tools as well. We just don't explicitly tell you which is best anywhere.

I've also heard, that lighting the area could prevent mobs from spawning, just like in vanilla. If mobs spawn with no respect to lightnng level, the torches purpose becomes decorative only.

Do we have the way to manually unlit the torch? Lets say, I have some dark cold cellar to store food, and I like to have light only while I'm there, but without breaking the torches. They, of course, will burn out for themselves, but in the time they burn, they cause the food to spoil faster.

To extinguish torch right click it with an empty hand or anything except sticks or torches in your hand.

I've also heard, that lighting the area could prevent mobs from spawning, just like in vanilla. If mobs spawn with no respect to lightnng level, the torches purpose becomes decorative only.

Light level only ever plays a role in areas where players have not spent enough time to accumulate spawn protection. The point of wording the way it is in the OP is to stop the spreading of "OMG my torch burned out now mobs will spawn there!" which in many cases is not true.

Completely dark areas that have spawn protection will not spawn any hostile mobs. While lit areas won't spawn mobs, it is much more likely that they aren't spawning because of the spawn protection which is checked first, and not the fact that the area is lit.

• (False)
    • The bellows only needs to be pumped when the items inside the blast furnace have reached the maximum temperature that is possible without the use of the bellows. At that point, a few pumps of the bellows increases the maximum temperature, and the items inside are will melt relatively quickly.

So I just reached the steel age and found using the blast furnace to be somewhat confusing. I waited until the furnace stopped heating, then started pumping the bellows. The temperature went up to white, but it took quite a while and a good bit of pumping before any pig iron came out. Once it started coming out, it came much more quickly than the initial heating. Am I doing it wrong, or do I actually need to hold the temperature at the max for that long? I found that, to keep the temperature above the 2nd to highest bar, I needed to pump the bellows every 4-6 seconds. Do I need to keep it above that bar, or is yellow-white ok for processing (I.e., pumping less often).

Pumping it every 4-6 seconds at the end is correct, although you need to start pumping when the temp of the ore inside is maxed out, which is going to take a bit longer than when the temp of the furnace maxes out. You'll need to heat the temperature of the blast furnace, and therefore the ore inside, above the melting point of the iron in order for it to smelt, which is at least Brilliant White.

If you have WAILA installed, it will tell you the temperature of the ore inside. The bar inside the blast furnace UI is just a general indication of the temperature of the blast furnace itself, not the ore inside it, and the gradient of colors on it is not completely accurate.

I brought the myth up mainly for the players that sit and pump the bellows the moment they light it until it completes, which can be 5 to 10 minutes. Because the bellows only makes the blast furnace heat up faster, and not the ore inside of it, doing that does nothing more than waste charcoal.

A question on the subject of gold panning. Wouldn't it be better to gold pan since it ups your prospecting level? I don't really know the rates at which the levels increase.

The only other downside I can see is terrain damage.

Gold panning only increases your prospecting skill by a single point when it actually gives you a piece of ore. The prospector's pick increases your skill every time you use it on something other than directly clicking on an ore block and get a reading that isn't "Found nothing of interest." So a single chunk on average will maybe get you 3 points of prospecting skill when gold panning. All it takes is to find a block that gives any sort of positive reading with the propick, and you can just spam right-click there to get an increase by 1 point each time.

Added a common misconception about mining and support beams to the list.

I have noticed you can put small vessals on fireplaces, but they don't seem to work as a heating vessel in my experience. Can you actually use pottery for cooking (Or with bellows, melting stuff,) on a fireplace? Or is the ability to put ceramic pots on a fire purely cosmetic?

I have noticed you can put small vessals on fireplaces, but they don't seem to work as a heating vessel in my experience. Can you actually use pottery for cooking (Or with bellows, melting stuff,) on a fireplace? Or is the ability to put ceramic pots on a fire purely cosmetic?

I'm not quite sure what you mean when you say "fireplace"? Do you mean a firepit? or a forge?

The only way you can use vessels for any sort of "cooking" is the smelting of ore in a pit kiln. I'm not quite sure what you are talking about... since small vessels can't be placed on top of a forge or a fire pit. Large vessels can be placed literally anywhere, so it means nothing that you can also place them on top of a forge.

Edit: Perhaps a screenshot of what you are talking about would be helpful? Since there's a bit of confusion with vocabulary.

Edited by Kittychanley

I heard that you can fill a barrel with a liquid and submerge in it. Is that true?

Submerge what in it?

Edit: Barrels can be filled with fresh water and then you can put hot items into the input slot of the GUI to cool them down using up some of the fresh water. This will not work with any other liquid in the barrel. Players cannot get inside of barrels.

You might be confusing barrels with vanilla cauldrons, which can be used to extinguish players that are lit on fire.

Edited by Kittychanley

I can put small vessles on a firepit, and get the firepit to the melting point of copper. This means I should probably be making my next post a bug report about being able to put small vessels on firepits. Understood....

0Hcgg1s.png

That is, of course, unless you like stew.

The only restriction on the firepit input slot is logs and peat, because those go in the fuel slot, as well as ceramic molds and ore bits because smelting ore in the pit was disabled in an older version of the mod.

You can put literally anything else in that slot, so the fact that you can put a vessel in it really doesn't mean anything. Just like the fact that you can put that firestarter or bellows in the slot doesn't mean anything. There would only be a bug if the vessel actually showed a tooltip saying that it was heating up.

Alright.

I gueeeess I just read a little to far into something I thought might have been viable as a cooking method.

This is true, and is actually the same for stone tools as well. We just don't explicitly tell you which is best anywhere.

When it comes to crafting/using stone tools, is there any random variable introduced when it comes to durability or will I consistently get the same # of uses from each tool I make of the same stone?

Edited by subarctic_guy

There are no random variables. All stone tools made from the same type of rock will have the same durability for that specific tool.

I always wondered, does the rainfall value in the F3 screen affect the actual rainfall in game?

Cheers

I always wondered, does the rainfall value in the F3 screen affect the actual rainfall in game?

Cheers

No it doesn't. The actual rainfall in game is still the vanilla random timer.

I just wanted to know if there are different types of worlds. Whenever I spawn a world it is either

All dry grass, lots of very large ore and nuggets

All dry grass, Plenty of livestock and sticks

All normal grass, plenty of crops, no ore for at least 6 kilometres and small amounts at that

All acacia forest

I have spawned about 30 worlds over the past few days and have always gotten these results at an almost equal rate.

What's going on here?

Edited by xX_IllumireKt( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)Xx