Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Kittychanley

TFC Myths

65 posts in this topic

What's going on here?

You've gotten unlucky, have observation bias, and don't quite understand how world generation works. You can check out the seed forum to see there is much more variety than what you are seeing.

Here's a few things that might help reduce confusion:

• The Z coordinate actually affects climate in TFC worlds. 0 is the equator, and +/- 30,000 is the arctic. Players can spawn anywhere in the northern half of the world, so you might spawn closer to the equator and therefore see dry grass everywhere, or in a more temperate climate with more vegetation.
  • Ore spawning is completely independent of climate. The only thing it has to do with is stone type, which is also chosen at random. Dry grass has absolutely no correlation to ore spawns.
  • Animal spawning is based on climate. You won't find many animals in the desert because it wouldn't make much sense otherwise.
  • Sticks are found in beach biomes and underneath trees. If there are no trees or beaches around, you won't find sticks.
  • Acacia Forest is TFC's jungle. It covers a large area around the world's equator.

In every single one of those worlds that you spawned, if you had travelled north/south, you would very likely eventually find the "other worlds" that you speak of in that same save.

False
  • ​Large vessels slow decay. (False)
    • ​Only the small ceramic vessel item has the 50% decay modifier. The only time that a large vessel will have an effect on decay is if you are using it the same way you would use a barrel, to store the food in some sort of preservation liquid.

lol no way! Bloody hell, I just thought it would be the logical conclusion but not the stacking decay modifier part.

• Gold pans are the best way to get starting metals. (False)
    • ​ The gold pan has been specifically balanced to discourage players from using it. We've done the math, and unless there is no copper-bearing stone types for thousands of blocks in each direction, or you are on a server where all of the nuggets in the area have already been picked up, it is way more efficient to go explore for nuggets on the ground than it is to pan for them.

This was definitely true at one point in development. I'd always(at least 7 worlds) quickly find ~4 nuggets then pan and get the few others. If I got lucky and found a nugget of cassiterite I'd be set. Just started a new world and that has changed a lot to reflect what is now stated. Of course I could've just been very lucky 7+ times but the odds are against that.

If I got lucky and found a nugget of cassiterite I'd be set. Just started a new world and that has changed a lot to reflect what is now stated. Of course I could've just been very lucky 7+ times but the odds are against that.

The gold pan has been significantly reworked sand has not been able to get cassiterite for some time (unless I'm very much mistaken).

A long time ago you could get bllack bronze from just panning - these days you can't make any type of bronze from only panned metals.

Added the myth about using a knife to break leaves to the false list.

First post here - so quick thanks to all the developers for an epic mod. Not sure I'm ever going to be able to go back to vanilla world generation now!

Question re the false myth: Bellows must be pumped the entire time that a blast furnace is running in order for it to smelt ore.

Is there any pure-TFC way of knowing when the furnace has actually reached its max temperature? Any visual clues?

PS WAILA does tell you but I have a love/hate relationship with WAILA and would prefer not to use it for TFC.

I use a despawn timer as it is about 5 min. I wired up a note block to a wooden pressure plate through a NOT gate. Drop an item on plate when I light blast furnace. When note sounds it is time to pump.

That's a very cool idea, Bunsan. Thanks for 5 mins tip.

I had been thinking about how I might incorporate some small redstone contraptions anyway, so this will be my first.

Is there any pure-TFC way of knowing when the furnace has actually reached its max temperature? Any visual clues?

You can see the temperature of the furnace just by right-clicking on the blast furnace and looking at its interface. If the arrow on the temperature gauge is near the top and not going up anymore, then it's reached max temperature.

It's important to note though that the temperature of the furnace is not the same thing as the temperature of the ore inside. Generally speaking, items heat up slower than the heat source they are inside of, so just wait a bit longer after the furnace is at max temp and then the ore will likely be at max temp too.

Hmm, yes, looks like I sort of asked slightly the wrong question. I meant to ask if there were visual clues as to when the ores were at max temp, but you've answered that anyway.

Cheers.

"Repeatedly fishing in the same spot will deplete the chunk in a similar way as gold panning does, eventually resulting in no more fish biting."

Less of a myth I have heard elsewhere, and more one I seem to observe myself. I can stand somewhere and rack up fish at a brisk pace, until at some point, there's just no more bites. I can wait for minutes without seeing the bobber dipping. If I then move elsewhere, I can pretty reliably get bites again.

I always thought to myself, well, this is TFC, maybe the team thought it made sense. Overfishing is a thing that happens IRL. But on the other hand, I may just be getting a very unusual string of randomness. So, is it true? ;)

Yes you can over fish an area. The more you fish an area the longer you'll wait for a bite. Unlike goldpan/sluice you won't get a this chunk is dead you environmental monster. You'll always be able to catch a fish, it just may take a long time. The chunk also regenerates slowly over time.

Here's one.

Standing in fresh water will keep you from dying of thirst while AFK.

The only way to die from thirst is to not have a block above you.

On multiplayer servers: the resources around spawn have been picked clean for at least a 2000 block radius.

The only way to die from thirst is to not have a block above you.

I believe what matters is having your thirst bar depleted while the temperature where you're standing is above either 30 C or 35 C. I think I saw someone report that standing next to a wall (no roof) lowers the temperature somewhat and prevents dehydration damage, probably faking being in shadow if this is a real thing that happens. I know I've run (well, walked) around plenty with a depleted thirst bar and not taken damage, but I almost always play on seeds that drop me north enough that summer rarely gets up to 30.

Edit: I tested, it's definitely when thirst is depleted and temperature where you are is above at /least/ 32.88, and it doesn't matter if there's a block above your head but light level plays a big role in how hot things are. Especially at the equator. 12 degree difference between full sunlight and full darkness, wow.

Edited by Lielac