Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Devlin

Enchants!

56 posts in this topic

Okay whatever. From an expected value perspective they are identical. But if you're anti-randomness can you join the anti-random pro-simple argument over on the other enchantment thread? We're running out if arguments.

You might have noticed that I'm on the non-simple side.

Nice! I like that. One thing though; get rid of the greater strength thing. Random can allready do better than dependable under certain cercumstances.

There needs to be some advantage for the random abilities when there is also a similar 'dependable' version available, unless there is a noticeable difference in some other area, such as resource cost. No one is going to take the "Negates 25% of fall damage 25% of the time" when the "Negates 25% of fall damage" version is also available. (Unless, like I already mentioned, the first one is much cheaper than the latter)

There needs to be some advantage for the random abilities when there is also a similar 'dependable' version available, unless there is a noticeable difference in some other area, such as resource cost. No one is going to take the "Negates 25% of fall damage 25% of the time" when the "Negates 25% of fall damage" version is also available. (Unless, like I already mentioned, the first one is much cheaper than the latter)

um... no, was saying they should be completely equivalent.

um... no, was saying they should be completely equivalent.

I think I am misunderstanding you somewhere. A 'random' ability and a non-random ability cannot be equivalent except in a broad statistical sense. They can be balanced however.

Expected value. a 25% chance to negate 100% of damage and a 100% chance to negate 25% of the fall damage are functionally the same. The only time when this isn't the case is if the falling damage was 133 and 1/3 % of lethal damage, then the random one would save you 1 out of 4 times, where as you would still die all 4 times with the repeatable one. So really, random is *slightly* better, it fits the theme better, so I think that is the end of that and random doesn't need any kind of boost.

As for you, seany, complex is fine, but you should see the stuff eternal concocted :(

As for "certainty" I'm inclined to disagree, but what kind of buff were you expecting?

new enchantment, curative. Helmet enchantment. 3 levels. At first level, has a 25% chance of curing poison (for a large chunk of helmet durability) every second. At second level, 50%, and at 3rd level, 75%.

new enchantment , suffice. Chestplate enchantment, 3 levels, every time you lose a hunger point, there is a 15%/25%/35% chance of negating half the loss , a 10%/20%/30% chance of negating all of the loss. There is also a 2%/4%/8% chance of gaining half a hunger point every second. ( of course draining a chunk of durability for each of these abilities)

new enchantment, weightlessness. Pants enchantment, 1 level. Sprinting goes 20% faster and uses 10% less durability (but sprinting drains the durability of the pants)

new enchantment idea, bow and sword enchantments can be used on javelins (so flame the bow enchant would only set enemies on fire if the javelin was thrown, while fire aspect would only set enemies on fire if used in melee)(infinity, like bows, the javelins would not be able to be picked up. However, if throwing a javelin does not use durability (i'm not sure) then throwing it with infinity will use durability)

new enchant, flammability. firestarter enchant( lol :)) 5 levels. Fires started with the firestarter have increased initial heat (and if possible, increased burn temperature and burn length for logs inside). Greater with each level.

new enchant easter egg, versatility. flint tool enchant (l00l) 1 level. very rare/hard to get. Gives the flint tool the mining speed of blue steel. But it still has the durability of a flint tool. But it can be used on anything...

As for you, seany, complex is fine, but you should see the stuff eternal concocted :(

I had no problems with eternals ideas. I thought they made sense.

Expected value. a 25% chance to negate 100% of damage and a 100% chance to negate 25% of the fall damage are functionally the same. The only time when this isn't the case is if the falling damage was 133 and 1/3 % of lethal damage, then the random one would save you 1 out of 4 times, where as you would still die all 4 times with the repeatable one. So really, random is *slightly* better, it fits the theme better, so I think that is the end of that and random doesn't need any kind of boost.

I bow to the might of your superior maths. -_- (and the fact that they are correct :P )

oh okay. They seemed a little, arcane to me. *pun intended*

New enchantment: "Tight Beltstrap" Pants enchant; any food item imparts double it's normal hunger saturation when consumed.

Oy, piss off >:/

If I didn't think they were good ideas I would've axed them before I even posted.

As for Seany, I don't quite get what you're going for here - are you saying there should be a 'helps me sometimes' and a 'helps me all the time', and that they should both be equal in power and cost? Because that's what everyone else thinks you're saying

As for Seany, I don't quite get what you're going for here - are you saying there should be a 'helps me sometimes' and a 'helps me all the time', and that they should both be equal in power and cost? Because that's what everyone else thinks you're saying

That's definitely what I thought you were saying. :unsure:

Sorry eternal. I just lashed out there. I didn't really intend to throw you under the bus. :) :) :) :)

Sorry eternal. I just lashed out there. I didn't really intend to throw you under the bus. :) :) :) :)

-_- ...

(Hoe) Fertility 1-4: Crops grow 0.5 times faster (+0.5 per rank) on soil tilled with this enchantment

(Mace) Weight 1-4: Enemies become weaker (slower works too) upon being struck

Oy, piss off >:/

If I didn't think they were good ideas I would've axed them before I even posted.

It is definitely what I intended, yes. and by "equal in power" I assume you mean mathematically equal.

i don't know if the fertility one is possible. maybe, actually it probably is.

(scythe) regrowth 1-3 There is a 4%/8%/16% chance that the block the scythe broke reforms immediately and a 3%/6%/12% chance that the other blocks the scythe broke (the surrounding 3*3*3) will reform immediately. This uses an extra durability point when it happens.

(chisel) flawless only 1 level: 8 blocks of smooth stone with the chisel makes a single block of clean stone.

(saw) wasteless only 1 level: 2 logs with the saw makes 7 planks instead of the normal 6 it would make otherwise

these two needed special recipes cuz you can't use the normal ones.

[[Ripped from Hammerfigt]]

Shattering Blow- Causes intensive knock back, it is a low probability chance to occur during critical hits, and sprinting [critical-sprint attacks have a greater chance, since they stack] Problem is how much it damages the tool, but more likely drains stamina. [swords can do this if they cleave, but it is distance restricted, you have to be close to the target to cleave]

Ideal Strike- Low probability non-critical strike, with better chance to land if sprinting. It is a sort critical hit that can cause intense bleeding [blade weapon only, since cleaving is bad at cutting] Problem is how unlikely it is to get get a perfect cut, so it may be restricted by distance from target.

Devastating Blow- Another low probability strike, that only occurs with blunt weapons, it causes a debilitating strike that damages the tool used, and armor of the enemy, if not, crippling them.

Precise Shot- [Don't know if possible, it's another low probability attack, with increased chance with crits, and standing still]

Overkill- [This is a pretty misnomic enchant, pretty much, it stuns a mob, or makes someone drop their weapon]

Fury's Wrath- causes regeneration from harming others, you need to land quite a few blows before you get the actual regeneration effect which degenerate rather quickly, but lingers

Fire Summoner- An enchantment that causes the player's tool of question to wicker and heat the area around them, over time, the tool will have greater fire affects so long as the player doesn't put away the tool, or strike anything with the tool, if fully charged, it can case fire to a small area.

Breath of the Abyss- it is an enchantment that charges by player movement, and cases the area around them to cool, the charge degenerates quickly with each strike, and the stronger it gets, the more it makes the enemy weaker to blunt weapons, but slower, it can also decrease the durability of items/armors due to frost.

Glow- [it is another elemental-charge weapon, it is more convoluted than the prior two, so I'll skip a large part about it]

Ghost Warrior- [How would this even work?]

@ Boea

...'Fury's wrath'?

Is that anything like 'Anger's rage'?

Maybe call it 'sadism', or something like that.

Fury's Wrath, ripped from the Bloody/Small Ruby in Hammerfight:

It seems to give you a regenerative effect as long as you attack people, it charges up every time you strike an enemy, causing a more powerful regenerative effect.

Its balance is that the regenerative effect decays, and isn't so powerful in the end, but the good thing is that you can get a good effect if you keep attacking.

It is kind of sadistic, because as its name implies, it is a barbaric-berserker enchantment, in your wrath, your fury powers you: in this case with regeneration.

Anger, is not fury, not as potent, and not as strong a word to use in this case.

Anyways, considering what it does, it is good for when you are expecting damage during combat, and the regenerative effect should linger a bit after you stop; though considering how powerful even a low level regenerative effect, this shouldn't be a cheap enchantment, and there should be a gap between level one, and level two/so on.

Ghost Warrior, ripped from the Wraithlike/Small Emerald in the same game is quite different.

It charges up when you attack enemies, but instead of the charge decaying, it allows you to more or less dodge attacks momentarily. [in the game, making you a ghost warrior so you phase through the enemy attack]

The charge takes some time to power up, but enough that it requires you to think tactically when you use it, because using it literally drains the charge.

The enchantment is only good at a moderate level, and above, and as the level increases the amount of charge up per strike.

Icy Sapphire ==> Breath of the Abyss

In Hammerfight, this slowly powers up on it own, but it is not entirely powerful as a sort of 'charge up'-'one strike' power.

It is only powerful if you do charge up a considerable amount, and don't let up on your attack, causing the frost to form quickly, and substantially.

The strong down side is that the frost melts very quickly, and you can really only get a really good frost build up is if you wait to charge up and wail on them, or you just flat out flail at them mindlessly.

Even then, it is difficult to break a weapon/armor piece from the enemy, because usually their equipment are pretty well-made, or made of some non-brittle material.

Fiery Topaz ==> Fire-Summoner

This enchantment is pretty lame, but good for those that are covered in armor, or simply if you want to burn the forest down.

As opposed to the Breath of the Abyss, the charge is completely depleted when you strike, and I only recall that it was worth setting the other person on fire. [in Hammerfight, this doesn't help much, though]

Luminous Amethyst ==> Glow

This is probably the weirdest of the effects from the game of Hammerfight.

It has the same problems of Fire-Summoner, in that one strike depletes it very quickly, if not completely.

As it charges up, your weapon arcs with electricity, and over time, it drops sparks that float in the air, and linger on the floor, that very minimally damage enemies that have anything conductive on them. It is only good over time, and the weapon charges very slowly because of this at the lowest level, and it has a chance to arc lightning, but only at the very end of the charging, and it drains the lower level enchant quite a lot.

On higher levels, there is a chance that the energy of the gem gets so much that lightning actually arcs straight from the weapon, through the sparks over a bit of distance, but this is a very short lived effect; the reason why, is because around this time, the weapon can deplete itself completely, and causes a shock wave that is pretty damaging if nearby the epicenter.

Hey guys, Blue here. I know how to make GUI things and I whipped this up for Bioxx to use

IT eats gems, that you then have to work into the tool/weapon, be careful not to let your weapon overheat or it will melt and be DESTROYED. Though there is a water reservoir your weapon is still not safe, as this is only a backup if you let it melt, the amount of water in it determines how much damage the tool/weapon takes, it is filled with the wood buckets and needs 4 buckets per bar

Get Bioxx to PM me if you'd like him to have it.

Posted Image

Blue... As in terraria?

I'm thoroughly confused by that but it looks awesome!

I'd much prefer something with a larger "Ingredient Input" Dialogue, so you can risk stranger/more powerful enchants, at the cost of materials, and tools, I'd really like it if enchanting were more based on something other than heat, we have enough in metallurgy.

Hey guys, Blue here. I know how to make GUI things and I whipped this up for Bioxx to use

IT eats gems, that you then have to work into the tool/weapon, be careful not to let your weapon overheat or it will melt and be DESTROYED. Though there is a water reservoir your weapon is still not safe, as this is only a backup if you let it melt, the amount of water in it determines how much damage the tool/weapon takes, it is filled with the wood buckets and needs 4 buckets per bar

Get Bioxx to PM me if you'd like him to have it.

Posted Image

This needs to go on another thread, written specifically about enchanting instead of a list of enchantments.

Blue... As in terraria?

I'm thoroughly confused by that.

This needs to go on another thread.

1; No

2; Confused Mr.Bond?

3; Will do ^.^

I think TFCraft needs some sort of generic "enchant"-like system.

-Perhaps you can "enchant" a sword to be sharper by sharpening it.

-Or, you could have some built-in enchantments like on boots. Perhaps if you are barefoot, you will get hurt walking over things like cobblestone/flint/gravel. Boots would have some "Protection" enchantment that protects you from ground-type damage.

-Perhaps a jewelled sword would give "Courage", which would make you swing with more force (knockback) and sprint jump farther. A jeweled bow might let you pull the bow back further (kind of like Power).

-Maybe heavy armor would reduce your sword swing rate by a small % (Bulky), or make armor camouflaged (would need coloring dependent on season) that would make mobs less aware of the player and make them harder to see by players.