Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Commiellama

Multi-segment Ingot Molds

9 posts in this topic

Have you read, understood, and followed all of the rules listed in large text at the top of the suggestions forum?(Yes/No): Yes
Answering "no" to the above question will result in your post being deleted.

As a way of reducing the monotony of working chests of ore into piles of ingots, could we have ingot trays? They'd be a bit like ice-cube trays, but for ingots. They could have 4-8 segments for making multiple ingots at once, reducing much clicking and valuable hours.

I really don't see the point of this. The only time that you'd be smelting that many ingots is if you managed to build up this massive storage of ore.. and decided to turn it all into ingots for no reason other than having them as ingots.

Set up a few crucibles, taking advantage of the fact that they burn at a hot temperature and therefore you can smelt a stack of ore relatively quickly if you start with the crucible at top temp. Put a mold in the output slot and start pulling out the first ingot before the rest of the ore even finishes smelting. Add more ore as necessary, and just remove the full ingots and replace with another mold until your entire inventory is full of ingots. You can then either use a water barrel, or just wait until all the ingots have completely cooled.

At that point, you literally just double click to pick up all the ingots at once in a single stack on your cursor. Put that stack in the crafting grid, and then right-click to umold the entire stack at once.

Edit: I'd also like to point out that we've already removed the huge grind with making ingots when we let you unmold them in the crafting grid. In prior versions of TFC, you had to work each ingot individually in an anvil to unmold it.

Edit 2: Sorry, I forgot we made it so unshaped ingots don't stack when cooled.

Edited by Kittychanley

I did not know that non-stackable things such as ingots in molds can be stacked in the crafting grid that way, if they can be unmolded all at once that will save me a whole load of time, thanks for pointing that out. If TFC had loading screens that would be a great loading screen tip, there must be a lot of other people doing them one at a time like me.

Edited by Commiellama

Sorry, I got confused. You can mass-mold ingots, but you can't mass-unmold them.

There is a vanilla tip however that most players don't know. If you have the unshaped ingots in your hotbar, you can hover over the crafting grid slot and just press the hotbar number to put that item in the crafting grid slot. Using that in combination with shift-clicking the output speeds things up considerably.

I like having ingots. Besides their practical uses, acquiring them is a goal of mine. I turn my elements into ingots so when I'm making alloys for tools/armour etc I only have to wait for 1 item to melt instead of 4 ores, and my alloys always melt as integers so I don't have to store partial bronzes. Even for a single player many ores need to be smelted into many ingots in their lifetime unless they're happy sitting in the stone age shouting at sheep. One suit of armour requires 22 ingots, so that's 44 for a spare when it runs out, plus multiple bloomeries, every anvil and a lifetime supply of tools. We need a lot of ingots, not for "no reason" but because Minecraft. When you multiply the tools, weapons and armour by number of players in a small server I have to ask myself "why am I doing this? This is not fun anymore" 

I think pouring metal into a cast for multiple ingots is a sensible and logical solution without being unfeasible. Bakers don't bake one cake at a time they bake 12, it just makes sense.

I would like to hear other people's opinion, does anyone get bored of doing ingots one by one for hours? Would it unbalance the game if we spent less time clicking on ingots?

The argument of "TFC is balanced for multiplayer" is definitely a key thing here. We don't expect one player to smith everything. We expect a handful of players to work together. Even just two players working together in smithing and forging proves this lean in balance.

I will look into making it so that completely filled, completely cooled unshaped ingots stack, so the method I mentioned before will work.

I will look into making it so that completely filled, completely cooled unshaped ingots stack, so the method I mentioned before will work.

I think this compromise benefits the player and improves the game without the complexity of adding new items/bugs. I like it. I never questioned why cold unshaped ingots didn't stack I just accepted that's how it was, but now you mention it they could well stack as other similarly sized/weighted items do.

I don't know what the best way to implement easier ingot management would be, but I definitely agree with the spirit of this post. I hate futzing around with a whole bunch of ingots. Kitty, your proposed change would be as welcome as anything, from my point of view.

At the risk of getting off-topic, I thought TFC was balanced for specialization in multiplayer. So if you have a server of 4 or 5 people, wasn't it intended for 1 or 2 of them to specialize in smithing while the others were building skills in butchery, etc? So then doesn't it often fall to certain people to make a lot of ingots? I think the OP is just asking to lessen the clickiness on par with "press 'S' to stack all of that type of food."

TFC is balanced for multiplayer, as in a bunch of players working together in a group. While this does often result in specialization, we don't expect each player to take on exactly one task and no others. Sure you might have one player that's specialized completely in smithing, but maybe that farmer is getting bored and decides he wants to help out with smithing too. Even just having two players working as a team with something like smithing makes life so much easier. To make a comparison, it's the same thing as what we expect with mining. We don't expect a single player on the server to do all of the exploration and mining. We expect a few players to work together, like spreading out for exploration, and then as soon as one of them find the ore, the other comes back to help them dig it out.

Extreme specialization really isn't anything more than playing single player on a server, and having interactions with other players for the sole purpose of trade. While we do want players to specialize, we still want you to work together on tasks, not just divide and conquer and trade the goods later.