Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
ajthemacboy

Config option or Addon to hide coordinates

10 posts in this topic

Hi, I'm creating a TFC mini modpack and I'm looking for a way to hide coordinates completely.

I want to use markers and memory to find my way back to my base, without the option for cheaty coordinates.

Can someone make an addon or recommend a mod to do this? Or, maybe even incorporate it into TFC as a config option?

Is this for single player, or a server? If single player, why not just make a rule for yourself that you can't press F3? If it's a server, you do realize you're going to have to install every single minimap mod out there that exists onto the server and set it up so that clients can't have it installed when they connect, right?

I intend for my pack to be for a few friends on a private server. The 'rules' are very likely to be ignored and forgotten. As for minimaps, I can use Antique Atlas; my players aren't likely to go behind my back and install another minimap mod.

Or, maybe, the addon or mod can support JourneyMap, and block its coordinate system as well.

I know there is a server addon that requires mods to be whitelist. I just cannot remember the name.

It works in such away that a player cannot join the server with any client side mods that are not approved and included in a mod whitelist in the server.

Thanks bunsan. I really could not remember the name.

Is very easy to use, and you can effectively block all client side mods, depending on approval.

Or, maybe, the addon or mod can support JourneyMap, and block its coordinate system as well.

I spoke with techbrew, the JourneyMap author, and he agreed that if you block its coordinate system you break the entire mod functionality.

I also did a quick google search, and everything I've found said there is no way to disable just the coordinates. It would have to disable the F3 screen entirely, which in general is a bad idea since players use a lot of other necessary information from that.

I know is possible to change the behavior of the F3 screen, some time ago I used to play Better than Wolves and he actually removed the coordinates from the F3.

The points to note are that this was in an old version of Minecraft 1.5.2. And the author hardcoded the change, so is not a config option.

Bottom line, Is it possible? Yes. But is very hard and too specific, in the sense that it would server a very tine small portion of players.

I would recommend using mod control to completely block all minimaps, and if after that you have players that are using F3 to orient themselves, like writing in a paper game coordinates, just let them, they deserve the reward for the effort.

Since JourneyMap sounds like a no-go, I'll be using Antique Atlas. JourneyMap doesn't really fit into the TFC theme anyway.

That still leaves disabling the F3 coordinates, which Tony said is possible. And it's also an option in 1.8+ with a /gamerule. The suggestion still stands, will anyone make this happen?

I found a mod to do this!

http://www.curse.com/mc-mods/minecraft/231916-no-coords

Now to set up the server so the client can't join without it.

Edited by ajthemacboy

First of all, BTW was a core mod. The only reason it was able to change the F3 screen was because it directly edited the base Minecraft code, therefore rendering it completely incompatible with forge mods.

The fact that something is possible in Minecraft 1.8 means absolutely nothing because they have completely rewritten the codebase. The fact that they implemented it with a gamerule also means that it took some core changes. Minecraft can edit all they want, because they have full access to their own code. Mods do not have that luxury.

Finally, did you actually try that mod you linked? I just did, and you better make sure that nobody on your server is opped, because otherwise they can just change gamemode to get the coordinates back. I would also be cautious considering that the website linked for the mod in its mcmod.info doesn't actually exist. A quick glance at the class file also shows that it's likely just removing every single line on the debug screen that starts with the letter x, y, or z. So if any other mod happens to add debug info that also starts with one of those letters, its possible it will be removed as well.

While it's great that you possibly found a mod that does exactly what you want, you should always exercise caution when the download page doesn't explicitly state that the mod is forge compatible.