Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
TonyLiberatto

Creative Tab

9 posts in this topic

Have you read, understood, and followed all of the rules listed in large text at the top of the suggestions forum?(Yes/No): 
Answering "no" to the above question will result in your post being deleted.

In the process of creating a new server and I am using the progression mod. The idea is to have achievements as requirement for technological progress. I noticed one more time that not all items and blocks are available in the Creative Tab. That makes it impossible for me to use those items and blocks.

I understand that Terrafirmacraft was not developed to be played in creative, and I agree with that. My point is that when making all blocks and items available in the creative tab you increase mod compatibility by a lot.

Another reason is for the creation of adventure maps, and mini-games. For example I would like to be able to spawn cattails and  seaweed. Also the ability to spawn ore blocks.

I do understand that this would increase the size of the Creative Tab, but it would not increase the number of ID blocks and items, as they all exist in the code.

Is just a question of making the mod more compatible with other mods and the possibility to create Maps, Adventure and mini-games.

As I believe no one is going to go in the TFC code to do it. I am posting in the suggestions for tfc2, because it looks to me more possible to just make sure is done when creating the new items and blocks. 

That's what \give is for. Or you can edit the enableNEIHiding value in the config and install NEI and that will show everything.

I was talking about mod compatibility. Items or blocks that do not exist in the creative tab and are dynamically generated upon world creation are also not available for mods.

Since I started playing TFC I have not paid much attention to other mods, but just on top of my had I can say some mods that have hard :

Mytown, ( when regenerating plots upon unclaiming or town ruins.)

WorldEdit ( When Trying to copy and paste portions of the world with ore blocks, and also slabs and stairs created with a chisel )

Progression ( when creating a criteria you do not have any ores in block form available, because the mod looks for the blocks in the creative tab. also many food items are missing, You have meat but is uncooked, sea weed exists, but only the item not the plant.)

The list is long and I am not suggesting changing tfc, but to include this in tfc2.

I am sure the list of mods that would benefit from this change is big, Like I said you have 3 here.

My suggestion remains, To make each and every item and Block in the mod available in Creative Tab.

Uses are:

Mod Compatibility.

Map Creation.

Mini-games.

Quest and Reward.

That's not how mods work... the creative tab has absolutely nothing to do with anything. Blocks that are not in the creative tab are not dynamically generated or anything special, we literally just have it set so they don't have a tab to show up in. There is absolutely no such thing as dynamically generated when it comes to Minecraft and registering blocks and items. They're still registered the exact same way as every single other block, and you can still get them by using the /give command.

What I am telling you is that if you edit the config option in TFC1, and you install NEI, literally every single item and block every that can possibly exist in the game will show up in the NEI menu.

Creative means absolutely nothing.

If a mod is explicitly looking in the creative menu for something, that is a completely horribly designed mod that has absolutely no idea what it is doing because there are infinitely better ways to deal with blocks and items.

Edited by Kittychanley

I see. Well maybe I am doing something wrong. Please help me.

I changed the config option to false.

No place in NEI I can find a Basalt/copper Block, also I cant find seaweed or cattails plants. don't see cooked meat either.

I can spawn Basalt and I can give myself copper ore, but not a block of Basalt with copper in it.

There's a huge difference between tile entities, and blocks. There is an ore block, which is completely generic other than the general type of ore. This ore block will then have a tile entity associated with it, which stores the data of the rock type as well as the quality. When we generate ore blocks in the world, we can use the data that is stored in the chunk to see what rock layer it is, and simply adjust the texture of the block accordingly. There's no such thing as a "Basalt/Copper" block. There is a copper ore block, (for example, what you get when do you \give @p terrafirmacraft:Ore1) and it can have the basalt texture overlay on it. That overlay is determined by the tile entity info, something that cannot be stored in a block.

The primary reason why we will not include explicit Ore + Stone combo blocks in any menu is because of the TFCOres.cfg file. You can literally have any TFC ore generate in any TFC stone, meaning that each of the 22 stone types would need to have all 35 variations of ore/mineral. That's 770 separate blocks. It speaks for itself why developers instead use tile entities.

You don't see cooked meat because there is no separate item for cooked meat in TFC. Cooked meat is literally the raw meat item, with NBT tags on it storing the cooked flavor profile, that also tells it to use the cooked texture and put the word "Cooked" in the tooltip. There are 3rd party mods out there that let you edit NBT data, and it is fairly simple to generate food with the correct NBT flags so that it appears cooked. Food in general will not work as quest rewards though, because food stores a timestamp of creation in its NBT data as well, and that timestamp is used to catch up on decay. You also have to take into consideration that essentially no two cooked food items are the same. A piece of pork that was cooked using an oak log to rare doneness has completely different NBT data on it than a piece of pork that was cooked using a hickory log to well doneness.

Cattails and seaweed are also literally the same block, which is called SeaGrassStill and you can get it with \give @p terrafirmacraft:SeaGrassStill. There doesn't actually exist a block for the plant itself, the block is actually the block that you see underneath the plant and it just has a tall hitbox and renderer. Depending on where this block is placed, the plant above it will be one of the three water plant types based on liquid type and plant depth. Once again, the texture overlay on this block for what kind of gravel or whatever that it is sitting on is determined by the tile entity, which is not something that can be stored in a block.

Edit: Just to make it clear, literally every single item and block is available through either NEI with the hiding disabled in the config, or use of the \give command, which will give suggestions for auto-complete if you type \give @p terrafirmacraft: and then hit tab, the exact same way that command works for vanilla blocks and items.

What you are missing is that there it is fairly ridiculous to expect us to also include every single variation of these items and blocks that are handled with anything other than the standard metadata. The metadata variations are already all available. The only thing that isn't available is every single one of the Tile Entity variations, and the NBT data variations. Those are indeed dynamic, and created as needed for the exact same reasons that we use tile entities and NBT data in the first place, there's waaaay too much information for the thing, and there's a whole bunch of different variations of that information.

Edited by Kittychanley

Thanks for the long explanation Kitty. At least now I understand better how the mod works.

Still does not solve my problem, since I believe is hard for other mods to understand tile entities. Whenever MyTown restores a chunk it gets the ore all wrong and sometimes it will have no rock overlay, so is like a transparent block with just the ore.

Progression mod also does not let me select ore blocks, since like you said they are actually tile entities.

Well once again thanks . 

It is not hard for other mods to understand tile entities. If that was the case, mods would have a hard time understanding vanilla mob spawners, beacons, brewing stands, chests, command blocks, comparators, daylight sensors, dispensers, droppers, enchanting tables, ender chests, end portals, flower pots, furnaces, hoppers, note blocks, pistons and signs. Those are all normal blocks that use a tile entity to store regular data, in the exact same way that our ore blocks work.

In 1.7.10 you can't give yourself a flower pot block that already has a poppy in it for the same reason you can't give yourself an ore block that is a specific quality and stone type.

Have you considered reporting this bug to the MyTown developer? It's most likely that they are only checking for tile entities for a very select few blocks, and aren't bothering to just store tile entities for everything.

As for the progression mod, I took a quick look and they've already got support for matching NBT data on items. It would not be hard at all for them to also add support for matching tile entities. TFC is not the only mod out there that uses tile entities, so the burden shouldn't be put on us for compatibility here. It should be put on the progression mod so that it is compatible with all mods that use tile entities. If TFC were to try to fix this, we would only increase compatibility with that single mod, and essentially nothing more. And any other mods out there would still have the same compatibility issue with the progression mod.

I've said this many times before. Compatibility is a two-way street. While there are times that TFC can make changes to help with compatibility, in a lot of cases it is the other mod that needs to make changes.

Yes, I agree. Once you pointed out that it would require 770 blocks just for the ores it becomes clear is not practical to do it.

I will try to get support from the other mods developers, who knows, they may fix it.

You are always so fast and helpful, I really appreciate the effort.

Thanks for everything you do for this community.