Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
SeanyGlass

Multiplayer and inter-server travel.

76 posts in this topic

I have recently found a mod called FutureCraft. Now, the element of this mod that allows me any reason to post it on the terrafirmacraft forums is it's cross server travel

I think that such a mechanic could be applied to TFC multiplayer by making each server an island, and allowing players to exit their island using special tools and boats. Then you could make each island be home to 1-2 biomes and 3-6 types of rock, varying mineral densities, and varying soil quality.

As already discussed on the FutureCraft thread at minecraftforum.net, you would have to have an admin setting the rules for all the server-islands on one multi-server-planet.

I post this as an idea, and leave it at that.

One word: perhaps. (and yes, I know that this post is actually fourteen words)

That seems cool but, why? This would make things harder and with little gain.

That seems cool but, why? This would make things harder and with little gain.

My thoughts were that by having different materials on different island would encourage trade. The reason you'd incorporate that into a multi-server format is because each server would have a sense of unity, as well as increasing the amount of players that would be playing together in a connected environment.

I'm a member of their forum and one of the only ones who actually posts anymore. Think Spore, think zepplin mod with the actual control of a real spaceship. Think of planets that are actually squares, Think of giant space battles between servers and all their inhabitants, think of trading invaluable resources, of giant space structure, of force fields and EMPs and nuclear warheads and all with almost no lag. frostbytes' project Copernicus is a complete redesign of game mechanics and is still in progress go to the forums if you want more info. However the mod will most likely alter almost all base classes so making TFC and futurecraft compatible would be a titanic project in itself.

I. Did. Not. Say. Compatible.

bsb23, if you will please read the post over again, that would be appreciated.

My bad, Not that good at listening. Anyways now that I read the second part that makes more sense although that may still take a lot of effort to code in or recode whatever the case may be. Plus, then we would need some kind of a large flat map showing islands and positions and travel times might be long. I guess we could just jump from place to place but I don't know how people would take a ship randomly disappearing and reappearing in another place. It would still be cool though.

This would be interesting if combined with the ships suggestion and played with a bit. Constructing a sailing ship, packing it with food and resources, and finally using it to sail to other servers to trade and do crap with. Different sized ships could take larger loads, and so on.

I don't like how disconnected from the game it seems though.

In Minecraft when you sail off the coast you keep going until you reach another coast...that said, inter-save/inter-server travel seems like a...fun idea.

This would be interesting if combined with the ships suggestion and played with a bit. Constructing a sailing ship, packing it with food and resources, and finally using it to sail to other servers to trade and do crap with. Different sized ships could take larger loads, and so on.

I don't like how disconnected from the game it seems though.

In Minecraft when you sail off the coast you keep going until you reach another coast...that said, inter-save/inter-server travel seems like a...fun idea.

you could just make it a transition of a line across which everything looks fuzzy at the end of the server specific map, and when you go accross is your exiting that specific server. I don't think it'd feel discontected at all.

and you would be sailing at least till you reach another island.

there is a good idea. And I think that there should be an ocean graphic with a sailing minigame, making you need food, resources, and people to keep going the right way. Unless you use a simpler boat

there is a good idea. And I think that there should be an ocean graphic with a sailing minigame, making you need food, resources, and people to keep going the right way. Unless you use a simpler boat

how about your sailing in a boat in a minecraft ocean all the way to your destination, another server? ._. oh yeah, and then you use a compass and stars to navigate... no need for a mini-game, really.

My thoughts were that by having different materials on different island would encourage trade. The reason you'd incorporate that into a multi-server format is because each server would have a sense of unity, as well as increasing the amount of players that would be playing together in a connected environment.

Now I see your point. I like this, but some islands would be overpower in early games(the ones with the initial ores for tier0 and 1 metals) while the islands with ores for steel would take disvantage in the begining... What size are you talking about? 1~2 biomes seem very small...

Could some servers be connected by land? Not only sea...

Now I see your point. I like this, but some islands would be overpower in early games(the ones with the initial ores for tier0 and 1 metals) while the islands with ores for steel would take disvantage in the begining... What size are you talking about? 1~2 biomes seem very small...

Could some servers be connected by land? Not only sea...

well, he mentioned trade so the guys with tier 0 and 1 could trade part of their metal for Iron used to make steel and yes, there should be multi-server landforms... But what happens when a new server starts?

well, he mentioned trade so the guys with tier 0 and 1 could trade part of their metal for Iron used to make steel and yes, there should be multi-server landforms... But what happens when a new server starts?

I can't think in two-options:

1) The servers in the inter-server network are set a priori of the actual launching, so they don't collapse. And they grow like a "flower", the middle point is the intersection of all servers, and trades would take heavly here. The petals are the servers itself, where two "petals" would touch there's a server interconnection and trades can take place there too... In this scheme all server are infinite in land. but they grow outward, so players settling in very far places would be further from the all-servers interconection.

2) The server can join and leave on the go. All server are in infinite-map, similar to regular minecraft, when a new server joins the inter-server it emergers in the edge of the other server, but all server are limited in size, let's say 10000x10000. When a server disconects from the inter-server it's land isn't lost, but it is a place where all server share and when a new server joins and there's a place like this, the new server will take this land before creating another.

I can't think in two-options:

1) The servers in the inter-server network are set a priori of the actual launching, so they don't collapse. And they grow like a "flower", the middle point is the intersection of all servers, and trades would take heavly here. The petals are the servers itself, where two "petals" would touch there's a server interconnection and trades can take place there too... In this scheme all server are infinite in land. but they grow outward, so players settling in very far places would be further from the all-servers interconection.

2) The server can join and leave on the go. All server are in infinite-map, similar to regular minecraft, when a new server joins the inter-server it emergers in the edge of the other server, but all server are limited in size, let's say 10000x10000. When a server disconects from the inter-server it's land isn't lost, but it is a place where all server share and when a new server joins and there's a place like this, the new server will take this land before creating another.

Wow. I had never though about it in that much detail. Sure, I guess some could be connected by land, but I'm not sure about infinite or near infinite land. I can see continents, which would be several servers pushed up together or even merged, but I'd like to stick to a limited server size and each server being a single landmass or a collection of smaller ones. The normal terrain generation just wouldn't fit very well.

Edit: Islands starting as overpowered would be natural, and even if it started as uneven, it would straiten out eventually. In fact, I think the experience of being in the middle between empires of different technological advancement would be fascinating.

Wow. I had never though about it in that much detail. Sure, I guess some could be connected by land, but I'm not sure about infinite or near infinite land. I can see continents, which would be several servers pushed up together or even merged, but I'd like to stick to a limited server size and each server being a single landmass or a collection of smaller ones. The normal terrain generation just wouldn't fit very well.

Edit: Islands starting as overpowered would be natural, and even if it started as uneven, it would straiten out eventually. In fact, I think the experience of being in the middle between empires of different technological advancement would be fascinating.

The first the servers are infinite in size but the interserver is finite in number of server, the second the servers are finite in size but the interserver is a infinite grid(the one you show preference).

Also, each new server would load the the servers it shares borders and try to make a terrain generation smooth in that area, so we could avoid a sea bein cut by a 200 blocks tall mountain.

We are going to need someway to stop from an advanced server completely destroying a newly developed server and what if islands were like plots and if you claimed them then you could expand however the additional landmass would be stored on your computer. No one could build there until someone claimed it.

The first the servers are infinite in size but the interserver is finite in number of server, the second the servers are finite in size but the interserver is a infinite grid(the one you show preference).

Also, each new server would loud the the servers it shares borders and try to make a terrain generation smooth in that area, so we could avoid a sea bein cut by a 200 blocks tall mountain.

First of all, let me get something strait:

would each new server generate new land? I would like exploration to be a thing, and that would completely destroy it...

What I envision is each multiserver planet being generated when it is created. Server regions are sectioned off on lines of low passibility or bodies of water. New servers can join on unexplored sections of land, and if they leave then it is either allowed to be claimed by another server or if it was unexplored by any other server, claimed.

We are going to need someway to stop from an advanced server completely destroying a newly developed server and what if islands were like plots and if you claimed them then you could expand however the additional landmass would be stored on your computer. No one could build there until someone claimed it.

Advanced servers destroying new ones would be part of the process, and I do not see it as a problem. It happend in real life, and the players would simply become part of the conquering empire.

Rules are there for this. The intersection server sets the rules and the servers have to follow...

Now you gave me ideas for somekind of landlord stuff, the server owner are like "kings" and the players can ask for the king for a piece of land, it concedes and you can build there with no problems, else he could simply delete your creations and in counterparty he would answer for you in case some other server came destroying stuffs... Wars and stuffs could be implemented with this! Man, my head is aching with ideas!

First of all, let me get something strait:

would each new server generate new land? I would like exploration to be a thing, and that would completely destroy it...

What I envision is each multiserver planet being generated when it is created. Server regions are sectioned off on lines of low passibility or bodies of water. New servers can join on unexplored sections of land, and if they leave then it is either allowed to be claimed by another server or if it was unexplored by any other server, claimed.

Advanced servers destroying new ones would be part of the process, and I do not see it as a problem. It happend in real life, and the players would simply become part of the conquering empire.

So you like the second idea, the one with finite size servers.

Hey, a thought just occurred to me (a rarity~!) ...Instead of making this totally cross-server, could it be done something like, umm...Mystcraft, I think it is. (I know very little about Mystcraft, but it seems like you can have a ton of separate worlds within one world...or something.) Or maybe the Multiverse Bukkit plugin is a better example. ...So that one person can host a single server with multiple islands?

Anyway, this would ideally be in addition to cross-server play.

Rules are there for this. The intersection server sets the rules and the servers have to follow...

Now you gave me ideas for somekind of landlord stuff, the server owner are like "kings" and the players can ask for the king for a piece of land, it concedes and you can build there with no problems, else he could simply delete your creations and in counterparty he would answer for you in case some other server came destroying stuffs... Wars and stuffs could be implemented with this! Man, my head is aching with ideas!

So you like the second idea, the one with finite size servers.

I don't like the delete creations thing. Yes, the server owner could become a ruler, but if the people in his server decided to rebel, there would be nothing other than non-admin stuff that he could do about it. I think the server owner would simply being the one funding the server as well as possibly being the head moderator.

Hey, a thought just occurred to me (a rarity~!) ...Instead of making this totally cross-server, could it be done something like, umm...Mystcraft, I think it is. (I know very little about Mystcraft, but it seems like you can have a ton of separate worlds within one world...or something.) Or maybe the Multiverse Bukkit plugin is a better example. ...So that one person can host a single server with multiple islands?

Anyway, this would ideally be in addition to cross-server play.

Yes, A server could "Own" multiple islands. Let me just quote myself.

New servers can join on unexplored sections of land, and if they leave then it is either allowed to be claimed by another server or if it was unexplored by any other server, claimed.

The main reason for cross-server is a good way to get lots of people to fund a large server, as well as breaking the system up into smaller more manageable server sizes (you don't have to host a 1000 player server for 1000 players to play together.)

Edit: Although, I do wonder about that... If all of the people decided to migrate to one server, how would/could it be handled?

Yes, A server could "Own" multiple islands. Let me just quote myself.

The main reason for cross-server is a good way to get lots of people to fund a large server, as well as breaking the system up into smaller more manageable server sizes (you don't have to host a 1000 player server for 1000 players to play together.)

Edit: Although, I do wonder about that... If all of the people decided to migrate to one server, how would/could it be handled?

Ah, I read that but I didn't (and still don't, actually) quite understand what you meant.

If a section of land is unexplored (not yet generated?) how can it exist to be claimed...? This would be easier with flowcharts. :U

Basic biome or seed info can be stored on one central computer and since the areas can't be edited no more data than that would be necessary to store

Ah, I read that but I didn't (and still don't, actually) quite understand what you meant.

If a section of land is unexplored (not yet generated?) how can it exist to be claimed...? This would be easier with flowcharts. :U

All of the land is generated ahead of time and then sectioned off.

In this case, unexplored mean that nobody except people that spawned in that server had ever seen it.

This is all very interesting, but when I go to play TFC on a server, I want to play the TFC I find in single player in all its glory with my friends. I want to build a community with them on one map. I do not want to be forced into a small section of what single player is, and told that by random chance my island has little value so I must go to other servers that may or may not be online, be properly maintained, be updated to the most recent version, using the same mods, or edited to their own user's personal advantage.

I want my multiplayer to be the exact same as my singleplayer, only with the people I trust along for the ride.

If this is ever implemented, either this suggestion would have to be a separate server system all together managed by the people interested in it, or I would simply not play. There is too much potential for cheating, incompatibility, and general chaos for the unlucky individuals in charge of managing it.