Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
murzzilla

Drinking from large vessels, barrels, buckets etc.

28 posts in this topic

Have you read, understood, and followed all of the rules listed in large text at the top of the suggestions forum?(Yes/No): Yes

Suggestion: make it possible to drink from containers filled with fresh water. It is more believable than thirsting in a desert having full barrel / vessel of fresh water in your back slot or bucket of water in your inventory when all your jugs get broken suddenly.

Upd: Maybe, it cold be done by right clicking at air with filled barrel/bucket/vessel in your hands. Just like blowing a jug.

Edited by Kittychanley

How exactly do you suggest this be implemented? Right-clicking on a barrel opens the GUI, and I can see players getting really annoyed when they are thirsty but just want to open the interface and instead they just start drinking from the barrel. Shift-right click could be a possibility, but it would have to be only with an empty hand, and I could see this causing some confusion since no other drinking method requires that a player is sneaking.

The same goes for the bucket. When a player right-clicks with a water bucket, it is to empty its contents. How would it be implemented so that the game could easily distinguish between when the player wants to drink from the bucket, and when they just want to empty it?

There *might* be a possibility of left-clicking a (placed, unsealed) barrel or large vessel with a empty hand invoking the "let's drink" routine/

Other than tha it's going to be welll-nigh impossible.

(I think drinking from buckets is a non-starter, unfortunately.

If left-click invokes drinking, then how are you going to break the barrel or large vessel?

as I said - *might*, unsealed and "empty hand"...

...and when you don't need to drink any more you can break what's left...

Edited by ChunkHunter

What does empty hand have to do with anything? Barrels and large vessels don't need a tool to break, most players are already left-clicking them with an empty hand.

the empty hand is the only way you would conditionally invoke the "let's drink" routine.

ALL of the following conditions have to be met to drink:
left-click with empty hand

container contains fresh water

container is unsealed.

I need water

If all 4 conditions are not met, then break the thing.

So the thing with left-click actions as that they are immediate, and then it starts breaking the block. So assuming that you are using your hand, and therefore thirst replenishes as the same rate as you using your hand on a water source block, you are going to have to sit there and spam left click in order for it to work. Holding down the cursor for extended drinking is not an option.

No-one suggested it had to be easy to recoup your thirst :D

I understand what you're saying - it's certainly a limitation in this case - but I think what you said is that it's at least doable...

Maybe in TFC2 

For TFC1, you can always install an addon like Leather Water Sac so then you'll never be in this situation because they don't break.

For TFC2, it's much more likely we'd just implement some sort of expensive unbreakable jug.

I always have 2 jugs with me, to prevent that situation. I also always install the Leather water sac, that please, should be part of the mod.

I don't remember ever to be in the situation of having a barrel full of water and no jug or leather sac.

For the sake of argument we could always allow glass bottle to drink water again.

Another idea would be a new item "The Mug" It could be carved from a log with a knife or cast from copper. 

It would not work very well to transport water, and you would need to refill a few times to replenish a empty thirst bar.

It would be realistic, as it was one of the first things that people made out of metal, because it was not breakable.

You would still need the water jugs for trips and exploration.

But if you have a mug on your hand you can drink faster than empty hands.

Again, I was never really bothered by this, as soon as possible I always make the leather sac, for me it makes no sense to be in blue/red still age and be drinking from a clay jug.

But there you go some ideas.

Right click with empty hand seems reasonable.  It's how people drink from ponds in the early game anyway.  I don't think it would be gui-annoying very often.  Personally, I almost never have empty hotbar slots.  I pretty much 100% always am accessing containers with something in hand.   The most annoying factor would be if you do forget, use an empty hand to try to access the gui, drink a bit instead, and now your barrel is not 100% full, and you needed it 100% full for making your alcohol or whatever.  That would be annoying.  I don't really see it as a necessary mechanic.  But then, I almost always have 3 jugs on me at all times, unless I'm at base.  Bunsan has a point though.  There's already a GUI, a 'drink' button could be added...

Ya, I gathered that from "stick head in", but it's true that a button would solve the issue. 

That button is ridiculous and will not be added.

Shift-right click with an empty hand is still going to require that you spam right-click. Block trigger actions only happen once per click.

Edit: So you can just hold down right click, however it spams the action far too quickly and the player is able to completely restore their thirst in less than a second. If this were to be implemented, it would have to be the same drinking speed as when you are using a fresh water source block, and I'm not sure if it's possible to slow it down like that.

Edited by Kittychanley

Maybe, it cold be done by right clicking at air with filled barrel/bucket/vessel in your hands. Just like blowing an empty jug. Could it?

Edited by murzzilla

Maybe, it cold be done by right clicking at air with filled barrel/bucket/vessel in your hands. Just like blowing an empty jug. Could it?

The barrel would have to be sealed in order to pick it up in the first place though. The whole reason that barrels dump their contents when you pick them up and they aren't sealed is to give the impression that the player is too clumsy to pick up a barrel if the lid isn't tightly sealed. Taking the lid off to drink from it would be no different than picking it up without the lid on it, both of which should just empty the contents to be consistent.

How about a sippy straw, would that work? ;)

How about a sippy straw, would that work? ;)

lol i would TOTALLY use that. XD

anyways. i can see this being an ok mechanic, though i dont see myself ever using it as i mainly just drink from ponds. i rarely even make jugs/ waterskins.

I'd just like to post a reminder to rule #4 of this forum, "Keep the conversation civil and on topic." Joke replies often do nothing more than derail a thread, and if they don't actually contribute to the discussion, please refrain from making them. Believe it or not, there are forum members who will take your jokes as serious replies, and that often results in just more headaches.

Also please remember that while we often use the word "believability" to describe our goals, there are obviously situations where the limitations of our game engine make it so that we bend believability to be as far as possible from reality. It's one of the primary reasons why we are constantly reinforcing the fact that TFC is not trying to be as realistic as possible.

The poll for this thread just enforces the disrespect for this concept. Obviously the reason that it isn't implemented isn't because we think "Cavemans are to drink water only from ponds and jugs." It's because there's honestly no way that we or anyone else has thought of to implement this mechanic into the game in such a way that is consistent with how things currently work.

The entire basis of this suggestion is based on the problem of having a barrel full of water, but your jug has broken. As others have already stated, there are alternative solutions to this problem. Many players make sure to carry multiple jugs to explicitly avoid this problem, or they install one of TFC's many addons such as the leather water sac so that they'll never worry about their drinking container breaking.

Personally, I strongly dislike suggestions to integrate other mods or addons into TFC. If the other mod already exists and does something well, it is up to you as the player to install and include it in your game if you so desire. Expecting us to do that for you by integrating it into TFC is a bit selfish to me. TFC is a large enough mod as it is making it difficult to keep everything bug free and running smoothly. Integrating another mod for nothing more than the sake of integrating just causes more problems for us a developers as we now have an even larger codebase to maintain, and it contains code that we haven't written, and often won't ever fully understand how it works, because we weren't the ones who wrote it.

I will leave this topic open in hopes that there will be some actual serious discussion about possible other solutions, but I am taking the poll down, and if there are any further joke replies this topic will be locked.

One more time. I do not have a problem with the current mechanics, Like I said I use the Leather Water sac.

But if enough people have and issue I do believe that having something like a wood carved Mug, or a metal Mug would solve the issue.

If you make it so you need to fill it 2 or 3 times to fill up the thirst bar it cannot be used to carry water around, it will not replace the Clay Jug.

The only function would be to drink from water containers and also from water sources.

As for the argument of not incorporating addons in the main mod I see some problems with that.

When something is an integral part of the mod it will be update with the mod. No waiting for a third part before you can use that feature.

Some people believe that the mod should be played by itself, like a purism thing and not mixed with anything else, is like a badge of honor, "Our Server has no other mods or addons, just Install Terrafirmacraft".

Addon authors come and go, Many times without notice. Saying that we can use this or that addon to solve something that many players see as a problem is not the best way to approach the problem, because that addon may become outdated indefinitely. 

Does that mean tfc Developers should add to the mod all the existing addons? NO, This is not what I am saying. But I do believe that there are some addons that are such a part of Terrafirmacraft that most players cannot see themselves playing without them. And If and only if the Dev's like that idea it should them be integrated into the mod instead of just trusting that the addon author will keep updating it.

So far what I have heard is that the Clay jugs are a balance for clay usage, that having some way to transport water that would not involve clay and in a way that requires you to constantly have to have access to clay would break that balance.

I think we should look for other uses for clay.

I have a few suggestions, but others may have some too.

Clay anphoras for wine for example.

Also Clay pots for grain storage.

I just think it makes no much sense that players are in red/blue steel age and cannot make a metal canteen that was used by the ancient Romans by the way.

Just ranting here, please do not take it as personal I have a hard time trying to balance my server, I have no idea how hard it would be to balance a mod of this magnitude. This are just the impressions I have and think it would be worth a shot. 

Well, just as a compromise... Right-click on air. And for a bucket only. As a replace for TonyLiberatto's wooden/metal mug.