Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
murzzilla

Drinking from large vessels, barrels, buckets etc.

28 posts in this topic

It's not so annoying to make 2 jugs if in TFC the choice is that the drinkable water container item can break. Leather sac is a good addon to change that with some advanced crafting recipe, and i would add that you can also find the easy-way drinkable water bottle in Udary mod as well.

But i'm agree on drinking from barrel and large vessel without a specific item, surely not a container. Sneak + Right click + empty hands seems for me to be the better way, because it's consistent with the existing interaction with water ponds, but unlike theses, it's obviously a secondary action. It's unfortunate if it's not easy/worth to implement, and add a button in the GUI just for that doesn't seem really worth too (overload a bit the GUI and inconsistent with water ponds interaction).

Edited by lucan6029

Well, just as a compromise... Right-click on air. And for a bucket only. As a replace for TonyLiberatto's wooden/metal mug.

I can do that, but in order to keep the bucket from replacing the jug, it would have to be nerfed heavily. The problem with that is that both the water bucket and the ceramic jug hold 1,000 mB so it doesn't make sense for one to replenish more water than the other. For balance reasons, I will not make it so you can drink from the water bucket and get the exact same amount of thirst replenished as a jug.

If we wanted players to be able to replenish their entire thirst bar with an item that was unbreakable, we would have just made the jug unbreakable. That's also one of the reasons why we got rid of the glass water bottles that were in previous versions. Wood is not expensive enough to balance infinite uses. If it was a higher-tier metal like wrought iron or steel, then I would be ok with it being unbreakable. But considering TFC1 is currently just in maintenance mode, I really don't want to go adding more items.

As for the argument of not incorporating addons in the main mod I see some problems with that.

When something is an integral part of the mod it will be update with the mod. No waiting for a third part before you can use that feature.

Some people believe that the mod should be played by itself, like a purism thing and not mixed with anything else, is like a badge of honor, "Our Server has no other mods or addons, just Install Terrafirmacraft".

Addon authors come and go, Many times without notice. Saying that we can use this or that addon to solve something that many players see as a problem is not the best way to approach the problem, because that addon may become outdated indefinitely. 

Does that mean tfc Developers should add to the mod all the existing addons? NO, This is not what I am saying. But I do believe that there are some addons that are such a part of Terrafirmacraft that most players cannot see themselves playing without them. And If and only if the Dev's like that idea it should them be integrated into the mod instead of just trusting that the addon author will keep updating it.

The entire mentality for not integrating something is that there currently exists another mod that does it well. If that mod is no longer updated, then it essentially no longer exists and the argument doesn't work anymore. That isn't the case for this situation though, an updated addon that provides a solution does currently exist. If it were to be completely abandoned and therefore there was no longer a solution with an addon for the current version, then we would consider implementing something similar to it. Considering however that TFC1 is now in maintenance mode, I strongly doubt that compatibility with that specific addon would be broken, and I can guarantee a whole new mechanic with a new item just isn't going to happen.

Considering that TFC1 is considered beta, we expect players to assume that there is going to be holes in gameplay if they only use our mod and nothing else. We don't expect a single player to go the purist route and not ever install anything else. In fact, I've explicitly worked towards compatibility to encourage people to install additional mods. If we wanted our players to be purists, we wouldn't have put in the effort for adding compatibility with other mods.

But i'm agree on drinking from barrel and large vessel without a specific item, surely not a container. Sneak + Right click + empty hands seems for me to be the better way, because it's consistent with the existing interaction with water ponds, but unlike theses, it's obviously a secondary action. It's unfortunate if it's not easy/worth to implement, and add a button in the GUI just for that doesn't seem really worth too (overload a bit the GUI and inconsistent with water ponds interaction).

In my opinion, the empty hand sneak + right click on the unsealed barrel is the best solution here. I spent a little over an hour messing around with it, but it's just too wonky for me to actually add to the game. There's a problem with forcing the player to slow down so they drink at the same speed as they do when drinking from a source block. I tried using the method of storing timestamps that we do for drinking from a water source block, but there isn't a simple way that I know of to make sure that is synced between client and server. There's also the problem of the player's hand constantly doing the hitting animation as long as the player holds right-click while targeting the barrel, so it looks like they are trying to break the barrel just without the breaking cracks animation. There's also the issue of handling multiple players attempting to drink from a single barrel at once, and I'm not quite sure if that can be implemented without issues since it's actually draining liquid from the container. Two players can drink from the same source block with no issues because they aren't actually depleting the source block, but that isn't the case with a large vessel or barrel.

If there is another developer who has figured out the solutions to all of these problems, they are more than welcome to talk with me about submitting a PR to make the change. I just ask that they please actually come talk through the solutions with me before they code the change and submit a PR.

That button is ridiculous and will not be added.

Please, add this button, and only display it on the condition that the date is April 1st.

Please please PLEASE