Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
TonyLiberatto

Coding Contest

5 posts in this topic

I have seen in several places that right now Bioxx is pretty much the only one coding for tfc2. Kitty has a lot on her plate as the chief admin for the forum and the wiki and bug hunting for tfc.

As a Windows system administrator, I do some scripting, a bit of DOS, but nothing as complex as JAVA. ON the other hand I learned over the years to delegate work. It is just impossible for one person to do all the work.

I have no idea how a game/software development company works, but I think it has several programmers that report to a supervisor who makes sure the code is to his expectation. 

I then had the idea of proposing that Bioxx created contests for coding development for tfc2.

Example: All the animals that need coding to replace the monsters in the surface. Specific NPC's. And Whatever else is needed.

The reward? To have your name included in the mod credits.

That does not mean that the code would need to be included in it's first state. A lot of come and back would still be needed, but I think the overall development of the mod would be faster.

Again I am no coder, but when I look in the addons section I see so many people there that maybe would be capable of helping and just need someone to direct them.

Reading a bunch of other people code would still be hard work and many times in my profession I know that it would be just faster for me to do something myself than to try and explain what I want someone else to do. The problem is that the group is still able to do more than I could by myself. 

I understand that the source code is available in the github, so in theory anyone could go there and poke around, but people need direction. So if we had those open contests announced here in the forum and in other places, like tweeter and reddit. We could have a bigger turn over. 

I apologize in advance if I went over my boundaries, I am legitimately trying to help. 

Well,  I could do some Java and would absolutely want to help, but I still have no idea how to set up Eclipse and not enough data plan to watch a video about it.

Ehh I get this type of suggestion a lot but honestly it just wouldn't work. More often than not when I'm adding something it causes me to go back and rewrite something else or rethink something entirely. Having other people coding stuff would just interfere with that process. For me I create an outline of what I'm aiming for and then I just start coding something and even I don't know what it will ultimately look like in the end. The local weather system that I recently added looks significantly different than how I'd originally envisioned it when I started working on it, and it required edits to a whole host of other areas. When I had dunk to help code stuff it did take some load off my shoulders but it also meant that I had to rely on someone else which isn't my natural state. That said, I'm all for people submitting pull requests for various things, but we really aren't yet at that stage for TFC2. I am working hard at trying to get at least a little bit of work done each day so that we can get something playable out sooner rather than later. 

The place where I usually need help is just art related stuff. Darmo has been volunteering his help in making lots of animal models and textures in techne for me so that we can have a diverse ecosystem in tfc2 and it has helped a ton. Things like this are what I really need, as I have zero artistic talent.

The place where I usually need help is just art related stuff. Darmo has been volunteering his help in making lots of animal models and textures in techne for me so that we can have a diverse ecosystem in tfc2 and it has helped a ton. Things like this are what I really need, as I have zero artistic talent.

Are you still looking for more artistic/model work or has Darmo covered all you need?

@Th3A1ph4d0g - I could always use more help, Darmo should get in touch with you either here, or in a pm or something so that he can go over things with you if you still want to help out.