Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
DanielO

Wondering about the challenge of playing TFC...

10 posts in this topic

Hello there. Long time watcher of this mod, but without a whole lot of experience playing it (it used to make my old laptop chug too much).

Got a new computer recently so I thought it would be a good time to get into playing TFC again and trying out the updates etc..

Just something I was hoping I could get some information on as I've had some difficulty figuring this out but...

I love the way crafting and mining work in this mod, but from a game-play perspective what is to be gained by working towards the iron age? 

I'm a fan of survival games, but its not clear to me just yet as to whether TFC is actually a survival game in that I need to work hard to avoid starving (which is pretty hard to do right now yes?).

Is this something which is going to be worked on with TFC 2.0?  I.E. Is the goal to bring TFC closer in some respects to Unreal World?

Maybe this is something which could be a mode of some kind, but I'd like to see...

- Actual starvation..

- A brutal winter you need to try and live through, without regard to your position on the globe.

- Some kind of aggressive enemy which you would want higher tier weapons for the purpose of fighting against them with.

So, basically hard core survival, with end game challenges to keep you striving long term to not die.

Is this kind of something we might see the game develop towards long term? Or is that a bit too much to hope for?

I like the notion of brutally realistic survival game like UrW. Yeah, harsher environment should be more than an incentive to progress through the tech tree, besides being frustrated by the speed of your actions.

Starving is still easily avoidable as of current version, even with an update to reduce wilderness food amount. <-- Single player perspective, mind you.

There's a couple forums directly below this one, that are specifically for TFC2 discussion and suggestions.  You'll find a lot of interesting discussion and answers there.   Based on my own observations:

-Whether or not food will be more of a struggle is unclear at this point, I think.  I floated several ideas to make food harder to get in this post.

-Temperature has been discussed in the old forums, but not much discussed in the TFC2 forums I think (the clothing post touches on it a bit).  Probably could stand to have its own topic for general discussion beyond clothing...

-At this point it sounds as if aggressive enemies will definitely be a thing.  You may want to check out the regional difficulty post, to see a lot of discussion about some of the more broad-brush ideas and how islands and enemies will work (or at least, the prevailing thought at that time)

Thanks for pointing me to those discussions, I'll take a look.

Right now I'm playing in hard core, so that is giving me motivation to not let my max health get too low anyhow. I'm just not sure I have any serious external motivation to develop along the tech tree as it is now. I can live just fine without it. 

Right, ya, working up the metal tiers, the main gain currently is faster picks, I think.  Secondarily, melee weapons to one-shot mobs. 

I've just started a fresh game up nice and far north (bits of ice in the water even in the summer!)  Lovely tall trees, giant huuuge lakes. Very pretty. I'm hoping that this extreme temperature will help a bit with the food challenge anyhow. I know rye and bellpeppers (strangely) will grow at least, so hopefully can live through the winter.

We just need frostbite etc.

I think that a key distinction to be made is that the slogan is "Survival mode as it should have been." In other words, it's looking to extend on the survival aspects of Minecraft which at its core is not a survival game like Unreal World, or 7 days to die, or any of the other games out there that market themselves to be a "Hardcore Survival Simulator."

If you are looking for Real-World Simulator 2016 that makes it extremely hard to barely even survive.. you're in the wrong place.

Try playing TFC on hardcore without using a map. (Until you can craft one.)  It makes finding and relocating resources more challenging.

It's rare that I survive for more than a year before I do something stupid that kills me (e.g. fall down a hole, buried by cave-in, killed by a spider or skeleton archer.)

Edited by Ornithocephalus

I can't speak for 7 Days to Die as I haven't really played it much (not really for me), but Unreal World does seem quite similar to Terra Firma Craft in the direction both go in. You have to work hard and be to survive long term, but the game isn't actively trying to kill you. It's "hardcore" in a sense of requiring more planning, preparation and understanding. Players can choose different ways of starting the game which impacts on the difficulty, and then set their own challenges as well, such as living in extreme parts of the geography etc.

the joy of tfc is if your finding  mc reptative etc and want a little chaleng then this is relay the thing as you can play low tech all the way up to high tech  and rather than  chucking a ston on a stick and calling it a axe you actualy have to make every thing  in pieces and detail and generally meens there is all ways stuff to do etc . so gives you a a great challenge no mater what level :)