Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Mathias Ademar

Advice from the more experienced.

6 posts in this topic

So i am starting to work on developing a mod/ addon for TFC1, mainly for personal use and learning how to code in java, and i figured i would ask those here who have made successful addons, (such as dries007, vidaj and bletch, just to name a few), if they wouldnt mind sharing any tips, tricks, or hints that would make the process more streamline/ easier. the things i am focused on learning atm is mainly getting vanilla-based things to generate, like villages for example, and making either conversions for vanilla items/ blocks, or remaking them entirely TFC-style and adding ore-dictionary-type recipe fixes. kinda like what was done for pistons. thanks for taking time to read this and for any comments you may post. ^_^

What I've done is reading. Reading a lot of code. When you have your IDE up and running for minecraft modding, looking at minecraft classes teaches you a lot. I also read other modders code. TFC code is on github, and is a must read for figuring out how to get your mod to work with TFC. Another good source of info is Botania, which is also on github.

You should also read up on forge events. These are very powerful, and can enable a lot of things. TFC have disabled some of the events, as in does not fire them where you would expect them, so vanilla things won't generate. An example: there's a decorating event that vanilla fires during worldgen that triggers flowers to generate. TFC generates its own flowers, so this event isn't fired. But Botania expects this event to fire to generate their flowers, so that's why no Botania flowers generate at worldgen. Full list of Forge Events: http://www.minecraftforge.net/wiki/Event_Reference

For recipes with ore dictionary, check out the code for TFCRailcraft on github. It has some basic recipes with ore dictionary support.

Learning java while learning modding can be a challenge, I would suspect. Try to get some basic java/programming understanding before you start reading mod code. When you can code a basic command line calculator, it would be easier to read code. If there's anything you don't understand, you can contact me with a PM and I'll try to help you out. I have a masters degree in programming.

Stuffs

thanks for the tips. i agree it might be more pertinent to get a basic grasp of Java itself before i develop a mod. i have a copy of "Sam's Teach Yourself Minecraft Mod Development" and it helps people learn how to make basic and simple mods for vanilla MC without needing to know more than the ability to copy the code from the book. and with it i have made a VERY simple mod that adds a few recipes, such as smelting a gold ingot in a furnace to make a blaze rod or iron ingots for nether quartz, and it works fine. it mostly adds a few vanilla items you cant get normally in tfc without cheating them in via NEI, HQM quests, ect. though it still requires you to have the furnace itself enabled in tfc's config.

Edit: also two questions.

first, where can i find the github for tfc? i remember where to find the one for tfc2 (cause i ran it to check it out) but i never actually looked for the one for tfc1. lol.

second, i tried adding tfc to the mod folder that is used by eclipse, and im pretty sure i did something wrong. how do i get my dev environment set up so i can check to see if tfc an my mod work together without having to build the workspace, and drop it in my actual .minecraft/mods folder, again and again?

Edited by Mathias Ademar

I would think it's quite difficult to understand how things work in the code without having a basic understanding of how code works. Understanding what a class is, what an object is, the relationship between classes and objects, what a method is, the difference between a member method and a static method etc. You really need to be able to _understand_ the code, cut'n'paste will only take you so far.

I would really recommend that you grab a copy of Head First Java (http://www.amazon.com/Head-First-Java-Kathy-Sierra/dp/0596009208/) and read that before venturing into Minecraft code. Yes, you won't be able to write your mod tomorrow, but you will learn a valuable skill and your minecraft modding ventures will be much more enjoyable :)