Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
cjhc12

Boats/Rafts

56 posts in this topic

9 minutes ago, Stroam said:

So first that would have to be solved and then you'd need a bunch of boats or ways of upgrading your boat for speed, cargo, etc. 

This gave me a great idea! Chest boats that can be roped and dragged with you! 

On 11/29/2015 at 5:27 PM, cjhc12 said:

Have you read, understood, and followed all of the rules listed in large text at the top of the suggestions forum?(Yes/No):Yes

Answering "no" to the above question will result in your post being deleted.

I know that Bioxx said boats would probably not be added and Instead a telaportation system between islands would be used via portals.

This made me sad because one of my faveourite things in TFC is haveing to go off on expeditions walking miles etc and that there is no such thing as a portal .

Personally I feel as though boats or some sort of water transportation should be added. Minecraft boats I know are buggy and bad but surely if this island generation is a thing we need boats not portals . Maybe you could add the option for portals as well for those players who hate travel .

I suggest that a raft should be added with a sail of skin and some slightly complicated mechanics for example a tiller and ropes like the leashes to control the sail winch it up and down so the time passes quicker .

I know this is tricky boats are noutoriously difficult and in an ideal world we would have a raft but I think just speeding up the boats a bit and makeing them unbrakeable would do .

Really I would like any solution to avoid Portals .

I really think it would be worth spending alot of time working on boats seeing as this is going to islands

Ah man. Archimedes ships and some more complicated boat system work really bad in multiplayer server. 
Would be nice just an slight bigger boat with places to carry equipament and pre-estabilished player positions. The way the minecraft boat works, you can't even walk over the ship, that's the hard part. If you put an bigger boat, the player will wish to walk over, so you need to create something similar to Archimedes ship that make the material become an entity and vice-versa. Or just make an bigger boat with player ready places to be that you can't walk over. And an storage that you can access from out of the boat with Shift clicking for example. And the boat need to be an item in inventory even if it's an bigger boat because sometimes the boat break when you hit the corners of the beach. But would be really strange to have an Big Boat in your inventory.... Yes, i do not know how to fix that without breaking some physics laws. 

59 minutes ago, joaorafaelrr said:

Ah man. Archimedes ships and some more complicated boat system work really bad in multiplayer server. 
Would be nice just an slight bigger boat with places to carry equipament and pre-estabilished player positions. The way the minecraft boat works, you can't even walk over the ship, that's the hard part. If you put an bigger boat, the player will wish to walk over, so you need to create something similar to Archimedes ship that make the material become an entity and vice-versa. Or just make an bigger boat with player ready places to be that you can't walk over. And an storage that you can access from out of the boat with Shift clicking for example. And the boat need to be an item in inventory even if it's an bigger boat because sometimes the boat break when you hit the corners of the beach. But would be really strange to have an Big Boat in your inventory.... Yes, i do not know how to fix that without breaking some physics laws. 

I will put my idea here just to help the way i can. 

Make the boat base floating level been made of 9 minecraft boats. Also, make the minecraft boat can only be carried in the backpack slot. All Boat pices can only be carried this way. Then you make the levels of boats to be made progressively using the materials of the smalled boats. Then the middle boat will be made by 3 middle boat pieces. That when break need to be carried by 3 players in the back slot. And the bigger boat need to be made by 6 (or even 9) boat pieces that when break drop like these pieces. And the best boats should need some metal parts to be build. Like nails and some Iron big parties. 
Also in the Bigger boat you should make someone standing in the Wheel and someone in the mast, then he can use an scope to look around. But make the boats in and smaller scale, and they need the number of players to work. So would be like that. 
Level 1 - Minecraft Boat

Level 2 - Fisher Boat - Already have an Sail and can be piloted by 1 player, but have space to other player that can fish while you drive. 

Level 3 - Merchant Boat - Have larger stock space and Need 3 Player to work but can hold 5 players. 

Level 4 - Explorer Boat - More players and some item that work like an ready camp to be quicly spawned in the distant lands you explore. 

Level  5 - Caravels. Bigger than the explorer, more players need to be made and maybe some Canons, but maybe this become very hard to put two boats to fight like two whales fighting each other for example. But maybe this become too hard to program so leave the programming space to be used in an mod for example and focuses in making the overall working together. 

The ready camps can work similar to the Track Spawn Material system ( http://terrafirmacraft.com/f/topic/10135-hunting-and-world-generation/ ), with an object that you put and trigger the camp or hold the pieces to the camp, like Temporally Barracks for exxample, It's an object that carry all the camps need, even an anvil. And Work as an Backpack too. So the player will need someone to carry the camping equipment. You can even block the inventory of the player that carry the equipament. But that is just an idea, i don't know how to program. 

Edited by joaorafaelrr

Yeah tbh portals are wayy too fictional. I understand that this mod isn't supposed to be realistic, however I think portals would ruin the fun of exploring. I remember sailing on an Archimedes's ship with my friends and getting stranded on an ecuatorian island because  we forgot a food barrel and we realized that when we arrived, so we had to gather food from that island. Good times... Too bad my SSD kicked the bucket without any warning in one day and I had no backup(I wasn't on my TFC modpack at that moment). Anyway, sorry, what I was trying to say that exploring by sailing is an important aspect as well and should not be neglected.

There are a lot of fans of this mod because of it's realism, including me, and perhaps we shouldn't get too fictional with this mod.

A NPC way of inter-island travelling is a good idea. I think a good way of implementing this would be something like having to build something that signals your presence on that island, like a smoky fireplace, so the NPCs can "see" you and arrive on some sort of ship(that players cannot ride) then give you the opportunity to travel to some islands at a cost.

Maybe A Way To Prevent Swimming To Other Islands Is To Enable Slowness And Weakness On The Player When They Are In Illegal Areas (The Effects Getting Worse As You Go), And Once Your Are In The Centre Of All That The Player Is Then Given The Wither Effect (Or A New Effect) And They "Drown" Out That Far, Allowing Boats To Be Crafted Could Be Done In A Way That Its Ok To Sail In A Local Area But Once Near An Illegal Area The Boat Breaks Dropping Nothing And Essencially Leaving The Player To Drown!

Edited by UnlimatedStone9

What if you were teleported to shore with a message like *you awake, pushed to shore by the currents* it would be pretty poetic and cool and have the player understand what happened