Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
anonymous conservative

Purpose behind rhinos and elephants?

10 posts in this topic

So I was browsing through the public repo and saw that it seems as though megafauna such as rhinoceri and elephants are planned. I was just curious as to what the intended purpose of these rhinos and elephants that are to be added is. Is it just for aesthetics and more variety, prey items for predators, or will they have an important purpose such as ivory or transport from elephants?

Also, as elephants and rhinos are generally restricted to tropical or subtropical regions, is it possible that additional megafauna might be included for temperate, arctic, or subarctic regions? Ground sloths would be great. They actually haven't been extinct for long, the last ones died out in the Caribbean around 4,000-3,000 years ago. They were highly adaptable and common, ranging from Canada to Patagonia and everywhere in between. A whole lot of interesting stuff could be done with them. They could browse leaf blocks off, and even tear down small trees.

Edited by anonymous conservative

At the moment they are for nothing more than adding variety so that the world doesn't feel so dead.

We could also add a different texture to the same animals and call them Mammoth and woolly rhinoceros and have them spawn only on really cold places.

Like I said so many times, I am no coder, but I imagine that it would be an easy way to have the same animal spawning all over just with a different name and different  texture.   

We could also add a different texture to the same animals and call them Mammoth and woolly rhinoceros and have them spawn only on really cold places.

Like I said so many times, I am no coder, but I imagine that it would be an easy way to have the same animal spawning all over just with a different name and different  texture.   

There is also a mammoth, I just haven't pushed the texture yet :)

Generally speaking, it would be greatly appreciated if forum members didn't make posts about things in the TFC2 repository until one of the developers has actually announced it on twitter or the forums. Not only is the element of surprise completely ruined by leaking incomplete features, it also can create "hype" about features that may not even make it to the release of the mod because the idea gets scrapped in the middle of development.

Just my two cents.

Generally speaking, it would be greatly appreciated if forum members didn't make posts about things in the TFC2 repository until one of the developers has actually announced it on twitter or the forums. Not only is the element of surprise completely ruined by leaking incomplete features, it also can create "hype" about features that may not even make it to the release of the mod because the idea gets scrapped in the middle of development.

Just my two cents.

valid

I've been trying to help out with new animal models and textures. I'm sort of meandering through the natural world creating whatever animals catch my imagination, which of course leans toward large animals right now. Irl, the tropics have the largest and most interesting animals, so a lot of them have been from there. I think it'd be great if TFC2 natively had as many animals as any mod out there! 

I build the model and make a texture - I'm no coder though, so Bioxx has to do the coding, but it doesn't take too much time, from what I'm told, so no worries about dev time being used up on 'scenery'. I guess I'm a passable texture maker, but I'm sure there's better folks out there, and I wouldn't mind collaborating with someone, if they wanted to do some textures for models, and help make TFC2 that much richer, that much faster.  If someone were interested in that, they could PM me to discuss.

I hope that there is an incorporation for ivory! Would be awesome for making decor etc!

I believe that making a use for ivory, rhino horn etc. would open up a big can of PC worms.

Having a use for 'bone' items, obtainable from *any*  animal where bones are available, however, would be another matter.

I believe that making a use for ivory, rhino horn etc. would open up a big can of PC worms.

Having a use for 'bone' items, obtainable from *any*  animal where bones are available, however, would be another matter.

I agree better not to open that can.