Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Krom

Mushrooms

11 posts in this topic

Have you read, understood, and followed all of the rules listed in large text at the top of the suggestions forum? Yes

Hi Kitty. :)
Although I work as an Archaeological Anthropologist (part of the reason I love this mod - thanks for all your hard work, I will donate more when I can), I am also an amateur mycologist - I gather and grow my own mushrooms. I currently have shiitake, oyster and golden oyster spawned maple and apple tree logs growing on my balcony, and I have some ideas to make mushrooms 'work' properly in TFC. 

Rain - Mushrooms should start spawning the day after rain, and continue spreading in the way that they currently do for 2-3 game days after the rain, then die (this should fix the problem of out-of-control mushroom growth in tropical latitudes, and is pretty close to how mushrooms grow in the wild). More rain stops growth for 1 day, then restarts the timer. Plains biomes that are wet enough, should also produce some mushrooms, but only 1  day after the rain - this may not be implementable, due to the mushroom growth light requirements (but it might work, if you can make them spawn after rain, the light should just stop them spreading).

Truffles - In regions where there is enough rain, you should have a small chance of finding a truffle when digging dirt  in a forested area. They should only be found in surface dirt (with grass) - they don't grow below 1 meter, as far as I know - plus this would solve the potential problem of people trying to farm truffles from dirt in the same way that people farm flint from gravel)
Both pigs and dogs can be trained to find truffles, but I'm not sure if it would be possible to implement that. Perhaps if you feed that pig or dog a few truffles, so it gets the taste of them, there will be a small chance of a truffle popping out of the ground, if you walk the animal on a leash around in forested areas (although maybe you must be quick to grab it, before the animal eats it). You could give truffles a perfect taste profile, to increase their value - truffle infused cheese would be awesome :D

Farming Mushrooms - Placing a stick and a mushroom in a barrel will give you mycelium plugs. Ideally, the sticks should be boiled in water first to sterilize them, the barrel should be sterilized too - maybe by filling it with alcohol or boiling water? (Without sterilization there is only about a 25% chance of success). These plugs can then be inserted into a log, which needs to be placed in a shady (but not pitch-black) area. It must also be kept damp, and will start producing mushrooms (in the right conditions) after 6 months or so after the log has been seeded. Perhaps in drier areas this could be achieved by emptying a bucket of water on top of it occasionally? Or it would just need to be a wet biome. Logs then should produce mushrooms on all outer surfaces twice a year (spring and autumn). A single log can last up to three years. 

Edit - Some mushrooms require hardwoods, others prefer softwood. 

I propose calling the brown mushrooms Shitake (they prefer hardwood, especially oak and maple), and the red ones... Idk... They look like Amanita Muscaria, which are toxic (although hallucinogenic if prepared correctly). Oysters like softwoods and birch, but you would probably need a new texture for them. 
Anyway, you know the code better than I do, but if I can help create some believably on this subject, then I am happy to help, just ask. :)

Edited by Krom

Definitely like the idea of more mushrooms in the game.  I'd thought some about truffles too - I was thinking they could spawn as actual blocks, like ore blocks, but only under one specific tree species, determined randomly by world seed, also possibly only in combination with a certain rainfall.  They would not generate in soil blocks with air above, to prevent the player from finding them easily with Waila - this would also prevent them spawning in areas with only 1 layer of dirt.  They would also only spawn (after initial world gen) if there is another truffle block within a certain radius.  So it would be possible for the player to dig them all up, and have no more.  I didn't have any benefits though, aside from being a food (or spice if those were ever a thing).   Or a magical/alchemical component.  There could even be a magical variety of truffle.

But in general, I think more mushrooms (real and fantastic) and uses for them would be awesome, especially if there were cave varieties as well, to bring some more variety to caves.

I was thinking more to make truffles drop in the way that gems do, like random chance when you break a dirt block in the right biome (which would also fix the walia issue)You can eat them as they are, they are still a fungus, most people only use it as a seasoning because they are so expensive ;)
And that would be realistic too, as you do not find them in groups in real life, just single ones randomly, if you look in the right places. I found one growing on the surface luckily, about a month ago - 25g, sold it for €100 on ebay :) Was just luck though, normally they don't get exposed, must have been the heavy rain we had. 

Edited by Krom

Yep, I picked that up, and you're right that method has advantages, including possibly being easier to code I'd guess.  TFC doesn't have "biomes" in the way MC does though, terms of it dictating vegetation - it basically just dictates the topography from what I understand.  So a "plains" biome can have a dense forest, or no trees at all.  Treeless mountains, or heavily forested ones.  So to be somewhat realistic there'd need to be a check for trees nearby, if not a specific kind of tree, and/or rainfall. 

I thought actual blocks that spread would allow the player to sort of farm truffles - more a matter of discovering them, not taking them all, and waiting for them to multiply - as opposed to just randomly happening upon them.  But the notion of having a truffle pig to help improve the chance would be a good way to allow the player to influence the chance to get them too.

Edited by Darmo

Yes, biome was the wrong word, sorry, the 'wetness' of the area would be a deciding factor, and the presence of trees. 

@Kitty/admin - maybe both my suggestions today belong in the TFC2 forum or both here and there?  Should I cut & paste them there? 

Also, I should add, that mushrooms are very easy to dry, and don't need a drying rack (we slice and hang ours up on strings, but you can just lay them out on paper).
My point being, is that they should have a very long shelf life, with little or no preparation (just slicing so they dry faster). This could be balanced by the amount of work that goes into getting them, and you would need to rehydrate them before use. 

Edited by Krom

kitty has already told that TFC1 isn't the big deal anymore... focusing more on TFC2.

But, yes I agree with you guys, it could be cool to do something with mushrooms, there are already there anyway !!

Exactly :) And the gem dropping mechanic is already there, my guess is that it wouldn't be too hard to convert it to truffles. Would just require a grass block, with correct shade (light) levels and area rainfall.

Edited by Krom

I'll go ahead and move this topic and your other suggestion to the TFC2 forum. Also note, that the gem dropping mechanic is not "already there" for TFC2, because we aren't using essentially any of TFC1's code.

Ah ok, I really know nothing on that level, only as much as I have needed to know to make my modpacks work (kinda :P ). 
I guess I need to read more about the plans for TFC2, I'm excited about it though :)
Anyway, I hope that my suggestions were helpful.

Edited by Krom