Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
StrayWolfe

Cooking with TFC (WIP)

313 posts in this topic

Cooking with TFC

(WIP Suggestions/Testing)

Presenting a mod that recreates what Spice of Life and Pam's harvestcraft did for vanilla but with its own TFC twist. It requires players to eat a variety of foods and every player has their own amount of "pickiness" for foods. This mod will also add a variety of foods that are related to world food history, meaning that at the beginning you will be able to make simple foods and meals; but as you progress in cooking, you will also progress through the food timeline to eventually reach modern day foods when you have mastered cooking.

This post is to allow the community to be involved in the development of this mod: see the progress of the mod, provide feedback or suggestions and test the alpha versions. I will be updating this post with the latest alpha versions of the mod. If you choose to use the alpha version, there is a possibility that it could crash your game, so keep that in mind.

There is also support for Waila and NEI. NEI is integrated to show the new food recipes, so it is highly recommended.

I will eventually make an official beta release once the mod is balanced enough with new foods and adds enough content. At this point, the infrastructure is mostly done and new blocks and items will be added from here on. I will be following a world food timeline, found here, to further develop the mod. If you have any suggestions for items, foods, devices, etc. feel free to post your suggestion. 

Cooking with TFC Wiki

Download the latest version

Reporting Bugs

Warning: This is an alpha version, there is a possibility for bugs. If you find a bug or crash, please include what you did to cause the bug/crash and a crash log if possible. I will do my best to quickly fix it and update the alpha.

Contribute to Translation

Changelog

Source Code

Progress toward next update:

Spoiler

TBD

Thanks to: 

Dulakaba - Contributing Artist

Edited by StrayWolfe

Well maybe some new meals would be nice.

we already have salads and sandwiches so maybe soup.

Maybe add a few plates and glasses.

Edited by CALEBXD101

One important aspect in my opinion would be to create meals that have all 5 food groups, as nutrition matters a lot. 

So maybe a pineapple pizza with Canadian bacon Here is a recipe:

Ingredients:
1 can (13.8 oz) Pillsbury™ refrigerated classic pizza crust or 1 can (11 oz) Pillsbury™ refrigerated thin pizza crust 1 package (6 oz) sliced provolone cheese 1 package (5 to 6 oz) sliced Canadian bacon 1 can (8 oz) pineapple chunks in unsweetened juice, well drained on paper towels 1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper  1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese (2 oz)

So this is an actual recipe from a culinary website. As you can see it has grains for the dough, fruit as the pineapple, vegetables as onions and bell pepper,  2 kinds of cheese and meat.

BTW do you intend on tweaking the meal table to allow for more ingredients?

Another aspect that I have ask for some time is the oven. To have pizza we need an oven.

I will definately be adding new meals and some of them will have all 5 food groups but it will also be a more involved process and require certain cooking skill levels to make advanced recipes. For example, at the beginning of the game you can make soups that will replenish 1-2 food groups in addition to hunger and thirst but as you advance in cooking skill and make new cookware and brick ovens, stoves, butter, etc you will be able to make more advanced recipes like cakes, pizzas, pies and even Beef Wellington, which is very involved and will require a high cooking skill level. 

As for glassware, I will probably add glass blowing but that will be a few releases. Cutlery will also probably be in later releases as they will not have too many practical uses at the moment. 

As for the means of making the food, I will probably be adding custom model blocks that have their own interfaces that allow for custom recipes, maybe something like a custom food prep table which can accept as many ingredients that I want to make custom recipes.

Id love to see more use for meats!

Examples:

Meat Grinder (Grinds meat)

Intestines (used with a grinder to make brats)

Using ground meat to make patties!

Burgers! Using the sandwhich menu with a burger should work fine! Being able to add cheese and veggies would be awesome!

Maybe a veggy burger?

And with burgers maybe a grill?

And with a grill maybe some tools like a spatula, or tongs, metal fork? Meat Thermometer!

Could use the anvil with a metal sheet to make a grate and have to put it over a forge block, doing so could change the forge blocks overlay perhaps to make it more user friendly to cook on.

Stuffed Turkey!

Mashed Potatoes.

The possibilities are endless!

Meats just need more uses than being smoked, salted, and pickled! haha!

But those would be my top choices for addition!

Edited by Saiden

Just out of curiosity how far are you with the basic mechanics, and do you have any idea of when the initial build will be released. Please respond.

Edited by CALEBXD101

So far I have converted all of the food from TFC to this mod which will allow customized interaction with food rather than the regular TFC use. This also means that all animals had to be reworked to accept food and I am currently reworking food prep. The first release will mostly be the basic infrastructure of the mod that will require you to eat more variety or get tired of a food and cannot eat it, this is what will drive the reason to actually needing to make different foods, but there will not be much beyond that in the initial release. However, all of the framework will be in place to rapidly add more. As far as when it is released, depends on when it is actually stable and functional. I don't want to release it if it doesn't have anyway to make the most basic foods, but once I've reached the point where it reliably replicates TFC food schemes with added food demands and doesn't crash your game or servers, then I will release it. Following the initial release, I will regularly update the mod with new content like a dessert update or meat update, every week or so.

Can't wait for it. So far loving everything about.

It sounds like you've already got a lot of it finished by now. I'm not trying to prompt a full rewrite with this post, but these are some things that feel missing from the sort of ancient setting that TFC aims for:

• Sugar preservation (candied fruits, mincemeat, marmalades/jams with quince pectin) with multiple sugar sources like beets, honey, or agave. Historically, sugar juice would be repeatedly boiled and then dried into jaggery or sugarloaves, which had to be broken up with special pliers called sugar nips (ever got frustrated with a bag of brown sugar? Imagine if that were the default state).
  • Fat/Oil preservation (canning veggies in oil, jugging/confit for meats) with some kind of oil press or fat rending process. Butter/ghee could be included in this category. Could work with other TFC add-ons that provide candles and oil lamps. An oil press would be necessary which might be out of the scope of this mod.
  • Gelatin preservation using boiled bones/hooves or agar algae (which interestingly takes on the flavor of whatever you add to it) as an alternative to fats. Can be used to make aspic for meats or fruit jellies.
  • Salami found its way into several ancient cultures for its longevity. Generally meat and fat are minced (and not ground because meatgrinders are machined, which wasn't available til the 19th century), soaked in wine/spices, stuffed in a casing, cured (a process TFC has down pretty well) and allowed to grow penicillin in a cool dry place. Note that salami without nitrates typically turns brown from oxidation, similar to jerky.
  • Speaking of which, maybe add jerky, pemmican, and/or akutaq as survival foods.
  • Fish eggs/roe as an occasional bonus for catching fish. They sort of taste like salty smoked salmon, even when uncooked.
  • Cheeses with varying hardness, with harder cheese requiring more milk and a more stable environment to properly age. Aged cheeses last significantly longer than soft cheeses. Adding beeswax or growing specific molds on the wheel can add more longevity.
  • I find it odd that grain is hand cut in TFC instead of being threshed. All you really need is a stone floor.
  • Wind/Watermills with grindstones would be nice upgrade from the quern, but possibly out of the scope of this mod.
  • Rice and oats behave differently from other grains and will not form a fluffy air-filled dough without egg, tapioca, and/or gelatin added (even then it will tend to want to be a pudding). Rice more readily forms thin paper or glassy noodles (even where rice is grown, wheat flour is used for steamed buns and breads). Oats tend to form oatcake which is more like a cracker unless added to grains containing more gluten.
  • Maize will not form a fluffy bread without bicarbonate minerals. Even then, eating plain cornmeal will result in malnutrition because the vitamins and amino acids are locked away in the kernel. Native Americans used a process called nixtamalization: soaking dried grains in lime(stone) and ash to bring out the essential nutrients and bleach the kernels white. Once ground, this becomes masa, which behaves similarly to rice flour. You can form tortillas and pupusas (basically tortillas with filling, apparently also made from rice) through frying. It still doesn't readily form bread and tends to be a bit brittle (I always find it difficult to keep them from being crumbly).
  • Pastry dough can be used for pies if you don't want to go through the leavening process. Pies are sometimes considered the "fast food" of the medieval world and could share a construction process with pupusas. Occasionally pastry dough was used to wrap meat so that the fat/juice is held in during cooking.
  • Pasta was originally a luxury item until the difficult kneading process was mechanized in the 18th century. Because it lasts longer than bread and tastes better than hardtack, it became rather popular and was widely manufactured. Early sauces tended to be made with butter, cream, eggs, oil, and seafood before the introduction of tomatoes. It might be helpful to note that forks might have been popularized by pasta eating, showing themselves to be much more convenient than a singular stick.
  • The fact that players can bake leavened bread without a sourdough starter is also an oddity. Long before baker's yeasts were cultivated from beer/wine yeasts, only sourdough starters were available. It's like a pet that you have to feed every day with fresh flour to keep it alive. The bit of old flour from the previous day would then be used as the sponge for baking.
  • Unleavened flatbreads would make simple beginner breads (ex: rotis, thin-crust pizza, pancakes). Yeast-leavened flatbreads (ex: naan/pita, focaccia, frybread) would make a good intermediary to the more complex leavened boules (ohmygodsopretty).

Some historic devices:

• Dutch Ovens and Tajine are reusable pots that can be used to both boil and bake in the coals of a fire. Could be used for stone-age cooking in the fire pit.
  • Often, frying pans meant to be used over fires had legs and were called spider pans (Spider pan...spider pan...does whatever a spider can) so that they didn't sit directly on the coals. Pans without legs usually fit airtight over a stovetop to keep smoke directed toward the chimney at the back. Could be made with clay but metals were preferred.
  • Clay stoves tend to be a simple hole in the earth with afore-mentioned cookware-sized holes over the fire, allowing for higher temperatures and longer lasting fires from branches and twigs.
  • Charcoal stoves which can reach high temperatures with a little fuel due to insulation. Examples: shichirin, hibachi, and tandoor.
  • A hearth, regardless of material, is really just a well-constructed firepit, yet still manages to be extremely inefficient with both energy and space unless completely enclosed or using the Rumford design. They were eventually replaced by the franklin stove (designed by Benjamin Franklin) with later designs being completely closed to keep smoke out. The cast iron stoves we're more familiar with tended to not appear until the 19th century. I always found the firepit texture to be ugly, anyway, so any work there is appreciated.
  • Spoons date back to the bronze age, as do chopsticks (I personally like how they can be used for any dish and can even cut soft meat if you know how to do it). Forks didn't enter the scene until the 12th century in Europe. Generally these were seen as highly personal items kept in travel boxes, and would be used even when eating in someone else's home. Until industry ramped up in the 19th century, most people ate with their fingers to avoid the expense.
  • Glass should probably be difficult/expensive to make in your glassblowing process if it isn't already, as it was considered a luxury item for most of its history. Wood and ceramics were common among the lower classes (unless it was porcelain or lacquer because fanceh). Metal objects tended to depend on the quality of the metal itself.

Take these with a grain of salt if they don't align with your design ideals. It's just super long to be informative, so pick up or throw out whatever you want. Hope your mod is popular when you finish it!

Edited by DonutGlaze

I have tried your mod for a few days.

I was able to build a table and create a mixing bowl.

I have tried to make salads but didn't get any results, nor with dough. :(

A few things I have noticed :

• I was unable to use my knife on a stone or plank to make salads or sandwiches in the TFC's way. Not sure if this is intended or not ?
  • I was unable to get grains from crops
  • I like the fact with have to eat a lots of variety of food or get tired of them

It will definitly be a mod to have a soon as you release it.

BTW I'm a TFC TWeak's user and he could be great to get autofood merge working with your mod ;)

Edited by Shunkaha

I am glad you like the mod. :D

Everything you have seen appears to be correct. You should NOT be able to use a knife on a stone or plank to make salads and sandwiches in the TFC way. You must use a Food Prep table to make salads and sandwiches, which means the early game in this version is rough. I have been developing a clay cooking pot to make meals that is easy to craft in the early game.

As for recipes in the food prep table, you must have the required ingredients and press the "Recipe" button to get the item. For example, you need flour in the left side of the food prep table and a jug of water and a mixing bowl in the right side of the table, press the "Recipe" button to see the item, then pick up the item to retrieve it.

As for getting grains, well, I haven't said how to get them yet. <_<  Right-click the top of a solid surface like a stone, plank, or log with the harvested wheat, rye, etc. in your hand to place it on the ground. Then repeatedly punch it and you will separate out the straw until you get the grains. This will take 20 hits to fully process the grain. You can then use the grain in the same manner you would in TFC.

I highly recommend using NEI with this mod if you don't already have it. NEI can show you how to make all of the recipes.

I will eventually get to adding an auto-merge function with the food as it is a simple function but very helpful. I don't want to bother Dries007 with having to make a new release to account for something that I created and is easily done on my end.

I will probably make an official release once I am finished with the clay mixing bowl and fixed all of the bugs that I can find.

Edited by JAWolfe

Thanks. I am glad you like the mod. I have been helping with adding mod compatibilities for TFC in the Terrafirmpunk pack. I will probably be releasing addons for parts of those compatibilities like a damage compatibility addon and TFC Minetweaker support addon. I been a little busy in the last month so I haven't been able to do much for any of my projects. I am to a point with Cooking with TFC where I am mostly balancing, optimizing and bug squashing. I am geting to a point where I can start to see the light at the end of the tunnel and I will release it when I am done with optimizing and balancing.

FYI there is already TerraFirmaTweaks which has some issues, but could be a MineTweaker framework to build off. Jjared has put a license on it now so there are no issues using it. I've been intending to fix it up, but have yet to get to it.

Edited by Bunsan

FYI there is already TerraFirmaTweaks which has some issues, but could be a MineTweaker framework to build off. Jjared has put a license on it now so there are no issues using it. I've been intending to fix it up, but have yet to get to it.

I am aware there is an attempt at adding minetweaker support for TFC but I was also under the impression that it was an abandoned project as there had been no progress other than the initial commit for around 6 months, which is generally a sign the project has been abandoned. I added the support for the TFP pack since it looked as if no one was interested in adding support any time soon. I now see that you added a licence to it 12 days ago by which time I had completed the code.

I already have support for the barrel, anvil, heated items, loom and quern with a rather large collection of capabilities as you can see in here. I intend to add knapping recipes which should be fairly simple compared to the barrel and anvil recipes. I built my methods based off of code from minetweaker mod support for buildcraft. I was not interested in pushing the code onto Jared as it appeared that Jared wasn't interested in the project and I wanted to see this project actually be utilized by players.

Sounds good to me. Just making sure you were aware. That licence PR was submitted about 6 months ago. The ambiguous licence was reason I hadn't done anything.

Look forward to your tool.

Would love if someone did a dust off on that code and publish it in the addons section.

just asking if the pickiness system is similar to the Spice of life mod. 

Also is the pickiness system currently in the Alpha?

From my testing pickiness seems to make it so you can only eat enough of one food to fill a third of your hunger, but eating other foods can raise your ability to continue eating the first food again. So to have full hunger have 2 different types of food to eat long term, like venison and pork, or corn and seaweed. The level of cooking done is irrelevant medium-well venison and rare venison are the same item in regarded to pickiness. Hope this helps.

The pickiness system is based off the idea from the spice of life mod with the hope to replicate the behaviors of that mod, pam's harvestcraft and hunger overhaul. The system is very much alpha and will likely change a great deal before I am happy with the system. Currently, the level of pickiness is basically the length of a list that is kept for each player and the length of the list is randomly assigned to each player. So one player will have a list length of 5 and another will have 15, so the player with a 5 is very picky and will begin wasting food quickly. Currently, the list keeps a record of the item type and not NBT, so it doesn't care if the food is a well done steak or rare, a steak is a steak.

Okay so just checking, the current Alpha build does have the pickiness system implemented in it, right?

Also if you want inspiration \i think Spice of life's system is the best IMO. It is far more hardcore.

BTW do you plan on adding different variations of crop tool modes and the way certain crops grow (i.e a crop that grows in water) or the way pumpkins grow in Vanilla minecraft).

Finally I just wanted to check if you are still going to add food according to the food timeline and if you are adding cutlery and plated, glasses etc.

P.S I think systematic updating for the mod is a good idea.

Sorry, I forgot to post my reply. The pickiness system should be working in the alpha. I am basing the system off of the spice of life. As for crops, that is further down the road. I will be following a food timeline for player progression. I will also be periodically updating the mod when it is released.