Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
StrayWolfe

Cooking with TFC (WIP)

313 posts in this topic

By multi-tiered, I was meaning material requirements. Like how the metal tiers go from copper to red/blue steel, only with materials you'd use for an oven.. so... clay, stone... iron? I don't think we've managed a better oven since Iron. Or, at least, not one that runs on fuel. I was mostly meaning that not all ovens cook at the same temps and most clay ovens made back in them days (how long ago was that?) were definitely not used to cook things like cake or complex pastries.

You'd need some kind of oven as a base for glass blowing anyway, so.

And TFC is already mean. If we didn't want people to be mean with addons/tfc we'd go back to regular modded minecraft and Pam's (both great things, btw, but not terrafirmacraft-level hard).

But yeah. Not moving it does make sense. I was wondering about that. As for timed construction, it would just force us to wait until we had absolutely everything before we built it, which is a good habit for TFC players (how many times have you died trying to build a house without all the materials?). Also having durability would mean that throughout the game, just like with most everything else, you're still having to think about food and your next oven. Life isn't cheap. Food shouldn't be, either. It would also be a good way to force progression into the next tier of items (metal pots and pans, better food storage - canning, etc, maybe?)

[Edit] So I've finally gotten to a point in TFC where I'm actually using your mod. I made soup after going through 5 or 6 campfires and constantly referencing NEI to figure out what I'd done wrong. The main thing I kept screwing up was the ordering of ingredients. Is there a way to make the recipes "shapeless" so that as long as the required ingredients go in, soup will be made? I've never heard of an order-specific soup, or being unable to make one because you put onion in before garlic. Just a thought. It annoyed me quite a bit and resulted in a good bit of wood being burnt through before I finally managed something. How is it supposed to be "gui-less" if you have to keep referring to NEI and wikis to figure out how it's done?

Just wondering (and a bit annoyed).

Edited by Monarch_of_Gold

Sorry to double post. I've been waiting for answers to my questions. Mainly the one about making recipes "shapeless" because I don't plan to go through that much firewood again. I know you're working hard on features and updates. I just wanted to know if there was a way to make that possible.

5 hours ago, Monarch_of_Gold said:

Sorry to double post. I've been waiting for answers to my questions. Mainly the one about making recipes "shapeless" because I don't plan to go through that much firewood again. I know you're working hard on features and updates. I just wanted to know if there was a way to make that possible.

Sorry about not seeing your post until now. Edits do not show up on my alerts.

It is odd that you are having trouble with the ordering of the recipe for the cooking pot. I completely agree the recipes should be shapeless and as far as all of my tests have gone the cooking pot recipes have always been shapeless. I just tested the last 3 versions of the cooking pot again and other than recipes with salt not registering properly, the recipes work and are shapeless. Which version are you using and which recipe is requiring a shaped recipe? I would love to fix it but I have absolutely no idea how the pot is requiring a shaped recipe when it does not have code to even support that function.

Edited by StrayWolfe

As far as I know, I'm using the latest version. After I got some broth and a bit of sea salt, I thought I'd finally be on my way to getting some tomato soup (because I can't find carrots anywhere for the other two varieties).

The first go-round I think I put garlic, then onion, salt, and the tomatoes. That didn't go. Then I somehow thought I had put onion and garlic in but didn't. Instead salt had gone first, and was promptly retrieved by the broth and never seen again. So, for I think the third try, I retrieved my broth, got another bucket of salt water, boiled it again to get more salt going, and put things in in the way NEI said it should be done (2 oz of onion, garlic, and salt and 14 oz of tomato) and then I think I finally got soup.

Ultimately the whole fiasco wound up requiring 5 or 6 campfires worth of wood because of the need for broth and salt and then the recipes refusing to go.

30 minutes ago, Monarch_of_Gold said:

As far as I know, I'm using the latest version. After I got some broth and a bit of sea salt, I thought I'd finally be on my way to getting some tomato soup (because I can't find carrots anywhere for the other two varieties).

The first go-round I think I put garlic, then onion, salt, and the tomatoes. That didn't go. Then I somehow thought I had put onion and garlic in but didn't. Instead salt had gone first, and was promptly retrieved by the broth and never seen again. So, for I think the third try, I retrieved my broth, got another bucket of salt water, boiled it again to get more salt going, and put things in in the way NEI said it should be done (2 oz of onion, garlic, and salt and 14 oz of tomato) and then I think I finally got soup.

Ultimately the whole fiasco wound up requiring 5 or 6 campfires worth of wood because of the need for broth and salt and then the recipes refusing to go.

There was a bug in the 0.0.3.0 version where cooking pot recipes using salt would not register as valid recipes. The recipe handler was not handling the weight of ore dictionary references, such as "salt", so it required 160 oz instead of 2 oz. I fixed that bug in the latest version, 0.0.4.1, and recipes with ore dictionary references now work correctly. If this is the bug you are having, then it will not matter the order, you will never be able to make tomato soup or any recipe requiring salt until you update to the latest version.

No, I was able to make the soup, but only after I had put the ingredients into the pot in the order specified by NEI. No other order worked and I had to remove the ingredients several times before finally getting it right. I'm not sure how else to explain it, except that, for some reason, the tomato soup recipe wouldn't go through until I had inserted the ingredients the way NEI told me to. Garlic before onion? No dice. Salt before everything? No dice, and the broth is gonna take your salt. Once I had it put in as onion, garlic, salt, and tomato it ran. I'm pretty sure I'm running 0.0.4.1. I'll check again to make sure.

[edit] Yep. 0.0.4.1. It just wouldn't go until it was in the shape specified. I don't know why.

3 hours ago, Monarch_of_Gold said:

No, I was able to make the soup, but only after I had put the ingredients into the pot in the order specified by NEI. No other order worked and I had to remove the ingredients several times before finally getting it right. I'm not sure how else to explain it, except that, for some reason, the tomato soup recipe wouldn't go through until I had inserted the ingredients the way NEI told me to. Garlic before onion? No dice. Salt before everything? No dice, and the broth is gonna take your salt. Once I had it put in as onion, garlic, salt, and tomato it ran. I'm pretty sure I'm running 0.0.4.1. I'll check again to make sure.

[edit] Yep. 0.0.4.1. It just wouldn't go until it was in the shape specified. I don't know why.

I've been trying to reproduce this behavior all day and I have had no success. I don't even see how any of this is even possible since the code in no way supports a shaped recipe. I've made a bug report on this, here. If you could report your bugs there, I would be very grateful. Those bug reports are easier to track there and will be better organized than in this forum. If you could tell me what version of forge and java you are using on that bug report, then it might lead me closer to figuring this out.

7 hours ago, CALEBXD101 said:

I love the work you have put in this.

Thanks.

Here is a NEW UPDATE.

This update includes a new clay oven block and clay oven wall for baking. At the moment, the only thing that can be baked is bread. TFC Whole Grains can be placed once again to be refined into grain. There are also a bunch of bug fixes and optimizations.

I know this update took a while and that was mainly due to writing new rendering methods to make things look better and run faster. 

I am in the process of correcting the wiki.

Edited by StrayWolfe

Finally! I was waiting for this update. I will test it later. Thanks for your amazing work!

Woo! I noticed the icons for meat changed to the raw version when put on sandwiches. They look so cool. Hope to try the oven soon, but probably not before making it to the next stage of the challenge I'm doing.

16 hours ago, CALEBXD101 said:

So how has the progress with the next update been going.

I've had to take a short break to apply to grad school and take tests. I'll be back at it in a few weeks.

Hello! This looks like a fantastic mod and I can't wait to try it out. Just a quick question though: is this compatible with the cellars add on? I would hate to use all that straw and clay just to find out the cellar is useless...

12 hours ago, Balgarus said:

Hello! This looks like a fantastic mod and I can't wait to try it out. Just a quick question though: is this compatible with the cellars add on? I would hate to use all that straw and clay just to find out the cellar is useless...

Yes, it is compatible with cellars. Although the last time I checked, cellars does not allow meals in the cellar so just keep that in mind.

20 hours ago, StrayWolfe said:

Yes, it is compatible with cellars. Although the last time I checked, cellars does not allow meals in the cellar so just keep that in mind.

Excellent! Thank you

I have been playing around with all the features of this mod and I'm really liking what I see.  So far I have made broth, soup, salted meat, and bread dough.  However, I can't make sandwiches yet as  I am having trouble with the oven.  I have tried to make the oven four times and have yet to make it far enough to cook any bread.  The first time it was still hardening and I set something next to it, this immediately destroyed it and returned my sand and clay.  So I thought I must have to leave it alone until it hardens.  The next time I destroyed it when I tried to take out the sand but apparently did it the wrong way.  Third time I got the sand out but when I went to put the wood logs inside I built a log pile in front of the oven instead, this also destroyed the oven.  Fourth time I got four wood logs inside and it burned through them all, then I made dough and went to add more wood to the oven but again built a log pile in front of the oven which destroyed it again.  The mistakes were mine however my question is can you never put anything right beside the oven?  If that is so it seems rather unrealistic to me.  If not then does that mean my oven wasn't finished hardening, should I have added more than the original four logs?  I should mention that the oven had no problem being beside things that were already there, it was only affected by placing something next to it after I had begun its construction.

37 minutes ago, ambergem said:

I have been playing around with all the features of this mod and I'm really liking what I see.  So far I have made broth, soup, salted meat, and bread dough.  However, I can't make sandwiches yet as  I am having trouble with the oven.  I have tried to make the oven four times and have yet to make it far enough to cook any bread.  The first time it was still hardening and I set something next to it, this immediately destroyed it and returned my sand and clay.  So I thought I must have to leave it alone until it hardens.  The next time I destroyed it when I tried to take out the sand but apparently did it the wrong way.  Third time I got the sand out but when I went to put the wood logs inside I built a log pile in front of the oven instead, this also destroyed the oven.  Fourth time I got four wood logs inside and it burned through them all, then I made dough and went to add more wood to the oven but again built a log pile in front of the oven which destroyed it again.  The mistakes were mine however my question is can you never put anything right beside the oven?  If that is so it seems rather unrealistic to me.  If not then does that mean my oven wasn't finished hardening, should I have added more than the original four logs?  I should mention that the oven had no problem being beside things that were already there, it was only affected by placing something next to it after I had begun its construction.

That is definitely a bug. Early in developing the oven, I wanted the oven to be built on igneous intrusive or extrusive stone. Later, I changed the code to allow it to be built on any stone but I forgot to change a line of code that checks the block under the oven. So the code checks if the block under the oven is either igneous intrusive or extrusive stone and if not, the oven breaks. I have rewritten that line of code and it will be in the next update. For the time being, using an igneous intrusive or extrusive stone to build the oven will avoid this bug.

I love this mod. I like how it adds more depth to the cooking. I was wondering if you planned on adding anything new? Maybe compatibility with the pumpkin/mushroom/pewter addon? Anyways... Good work! can't wait to see more =)

So this is a bug report. When you have one of your tables next to one of your ovens, and then place a mixing bowl on the table close to the oven, the oven disappears. It's happened to me twice so far, so I am going to keep the bowls away from the oven. Just thought I would let you know.. I haven't looked through the 9 pages to see if this was already posted.

Also have a problem not sure if it is a bug or not. I use ATLauncher with some mods and recently added your mod.  Everything worked fine until suddenly grain stoped working - when I try to refine it and place on hard surface instead gave me back straw and refined grain it returns only grain in exactly same form as I put it on surface.

On 10/31/2016 at 7:09 PM, izzy1488 said:

I love this mod. I like how it adds more depth to the cooking. I was wondering if you planned on adding anything new? Maybe compatibility with the pumpkin/mushroom/pewter addon? Anyways... Good work! can't wait to see more =)

I'd be willing to add compatibility on my end if that's necessary.

On 11/3/2016 at 10:24 AM, Narmo said:

Also have a problem not sure if it is a bug or not. I use ATLauncher with some mods and recently added your mod.  Everything worked fine until suddenly grain stoped working - when I try to refine it and place on hard surface instead gave me back straw and refined grain it returns only grain in exactly same form as I put it on surface.

That sounds very odd. I might need more details to narrow down what is happening. 

On 11/3/2016 at 8:47 PM, izzy1488 said:

So this is a bug report. When you have one of your tables next to one of your ovens, and then place a mixing bowl on the table close to the oven, the oven disappears. It's happened to me twice so far, so I am going to keep the bowls away from the oven. Just thought I would let you know.. I haven't looked through the 9 pages to see if this was already posted.

My reply to this bug was actually posted in the comment right above yours. This is the same cause as the prior report and the fix will be in the next update. Thanks for the report anyway. In the meantime, use igneous intrusive or extrusive stone to avoid this bug.

On 10/31/2016 at 6:09 PM, izzy1488 said:

7 minutes ago, Peffern said:

I'd be willing to add compatibility on my end if that's necessary.

I've been on a break for the last month, but I will likely be getting back to work on this mod in a week or two. I've been working on college applications and just have not had the time or motivation to code. The last thing I was working on were pumpkins, melons, mushrooms and jack-o-lanterns. I haven't looked at how to handle compatibility yet and I need to figure out what I am doing with those items before I could approach how to add compatibility. The worst case would be a mod specific  version of each so I don't think it would be a big problem, but I definitely like having inter-mod compatibility. Thanks for offer, Peffern, and I will let you know if there is anything you could do on your end.

I already reinstalled modpack, tomorrow try duplicate this error and if this still happen I will send you the details :)

On 11/8/2016 at 1:37 PM, StrayWolfe said:

I've been on a break for the last month, but I will likely be getting back to work on this mod in a week or two. I've been working on college applications and just have not had the time or motivation to code. The last thing I was working on were pumpkins, melons, mushrooms and jack-o-lanterns. I haven't looked at how to handle compatibility yet and I need to figure out what I am doing with those items before I could approach how to add compatibility. The worst case would be a mod specific  version of each so I don't think it would be a big problem, but I definitely like having inter-mod compatibility. Thanks for offer, Peffern, and I will let you know if there is anything you could do on your end.

Good luck on college apps! We all know that can be stressful.