Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
blue_photon

Enchantments; The Photon Strikes Back

36 posts in this topic

OK, so, SeanyGlass wanted me to put this in a new thread, so blame him if you get mad at this.

Now, This is about the enchantment system that I came up with mostly, It is built in a way that Bioxx can use his old code if he decides to use it and, it's balanced to the point where it is late-game, just like Vanilla Minecraft.

GUI

Posted Image

S'cuse me, it might be a little small.

Ok, the way it works is, you put your weapon in the top slot, your hammer in the Hammer Slot and your gem(s) in the Gem Slot. The slot above the gauge is where you can put your water buckets, but we'll get to that later.

OK, now the good stuff, like ENCHANTMENTS, i'm going to give a list of gems and what enchantments they give depending on their type/level

Ruby; Gives the 'Heat' enchantment; The heat enchantment makes a percent of your ores become nuggets, the nuggets stack to 64 instead of 8. Increases with level, goes to level 5. (Only on Picks)

Sapphire; Gives the 'Chill' enchantment; Turns a percentage of ore you mine into ore dust from extreme cold, The dust can stack to 64. Percentage increases with level, goes to level 5. (only on picks)

Topaz; Gives the 'Weight' enchantment; The weight enchantment Increases the power behind a bow. Goes up to level 5. (only on bows)

Tourmaline; Gives the 'void' enchantment; DESTROYS low-level materials (cobble/dirt) to increase efficiency. Goes to level 5. Higher levels increase boost, (all tools)

Agate; Gives the 'Flame' enchantment; Ignites enemies on hit. Goes to level 1. Lower-quality gems are harder to enchant with. (all weapons)

Amethyst; Gives the 'Crystallize' enchantment; Forms enemies into crystals on hit, when enemies are crystallized, they take reduced damage and eventually break out of it but are slowed drastically

Goes to level 1 Lower-quality gems are harder to enchant with. (all weapons)

Beryl; Gives the 'speed' enchantment; makes your attack speed faster or your move speed faster.

Buff increases with level. goes to level 5. (Weapons and Armour)

Diamond; Gives the 'regeneration' enchantment; makes your item regenerate it's durability slowly over time. Goes to level one. Difficulty is reduced with higher-tier gems. (all tools, armor, and weapons)

Emerald; Gives the 'terra' enchant; Makes your harvest have a chance to regrow or replant instantly. Chance goes up with level. Goes to level 5. (Scythes and axes)

Garnet; Gives the 'Vampire' enchantment; Makes you regenerate health when you kill an enemy, but lowers power when in daylight. (goes on all weapons)

Jade; Gives the 'Poison' enchantment; Poisons your enemies when they are struck, (note, zombies and skeletons take no poison damage)

Jasper; Gives the 'integrity' enchantment; Gives your item a chance to take no damage.

Goes to level 3. Chipped and Flawed give level one with respective difficulties. Normal and Flawless give level 2 with respective difficulties, and Exquisite gives level 3. (all tools, armor, and weapons)

Opal; Gives the 'Resistance' enchantment; Gives increased damage resistance, up to 5 hearts. Goes to level 5, reduction is greater per level. (all armor)

Ok, now that you know what each Gem's enchantment is and what it does, you may be wondering, 'Wow Blue, thats pretty nice, but how do we do it'

well this is how.

1 Place your weapon in the input slot in the center

Posted Image

2 Place your Gem in the slot

Posted Image

3 Place your hammer in the Hammer slot

Posted Image

4 Keep an eye on the heat bar and water bar, the water will save you from destruction if you accidentally melt your item from working it too much

Posted Image

This is the working interface, it works like a forge

Posted Image

This is the difficulty level, it always starts at one but goes up the easier it is.

Posted Image

See what i mean by it works like a forge, but instead of depleting heat, it generates it.

Posted Image

Now finally after you work your gems into your item by crafting it multiple times, your finished item will pop out here

Posted Image

Now you should know the basics, but now the cons.

If you work it too fast, your item will overheat and melt, the water can save some of it but it will lose a lot of it's durability.

If you take the item out of the enchanter before you finish it, it will break and not work before you fully enchant it.

most enchantments need to be done 3-4 times and each time requires another gem of the EXACT SAME TYPE, if you try to mix and match your item will also break.

Have fun guys, this is the end, If you like it, let Bioxx know so i can send him the source-GUI for him to use.

--Blue

I have a question. This is great btw. Could you make it so that the 'heat' enchantment (for example) has a separate effect (fire resistance) if used on an axe? It wouldn't have to be a new gem or a new enchant, just the effects manifesting in a new way.

Could you make it so that the 'heat' enchantment (for example) has a separate effect (fire resistance) if used on an axe?

I was just thinking of an elemental type for each gem then making an effect to match, if the 'heat' enchantment were to be used on an axe it would probably make it convert a percentage of the wood into charcoal.

and how would an axe get fire resistance, that's an armor enchantment.

the way I see which tools and weapons and armours can use the enchants is how powerful the gem is.

Rubies are unformed fire, making the power not available on blades, it would fall off, but on a tool it is always being smashed back on.

Agates are formed fire, hence allowing it to be used on a weapon but not a tool, it would be too powerful for the tool.

That is EXACTLY what I hoped you'd say. Sorry I was using two disparate examples. Literally that exactly my argument on the other threads!!!!!!!!! I love your enchantment system so much I want to marry it and conceive its illogical children. Yay +1. I can't do +1 on my phone but I'll do it tomorrow.

The suggestion made by OP is good, however its somewhat too magical for my taste. The only real "enchanting" that I would prefer to occur in TFC is the bonding of diamonds/other gems to the edges of tools/swords to increase durability/effiecency.

The suggestion made by OP is good, however its somewhat too magical for my taste. The only real "enchanting" that I would prefer to occur in TFC is the bonding of diamonds/other gems to the edges of tools/swords to increase durability/effiecency.

on another thread that was suggested in that you could sharpen tools

The suggestion made by OP is good, however its somewhat too magical for my taste.

In my vision, the gems that exist in TFC are ancient amounts of essence that have formed into dormant crystals through infusion of normal crystals, hence quality affecting the enchantment. When used in this fashion, the essence contained in the gems is infused into the tools, thus making them enchanted.

In my vision, the gems that exist in TFC are ancient amounts of energy that have formed into dormant crystals, but as they are used the power in the crystals is released as they become active.

...-twitch-

Gems are gems. They are crystalline mineral structures caused by the chemistry and pressure of the rock they form in.

Maybe dragonstones and soulcrystals from whatever RPG you choose are made of solid magic, but TFC has diamonds, tourmalines, and jaspers - these are real things, that are made of atoms. Not pixie dust.

I'm back and attempting to work on my document again however I got a couple questions. Whats the hammer for? How does the difficulty affect anything and why does the difficulty increase?

...-twitch-

Gems are gems. They are crystalline mineral structures caused by the chemistry and pressure of the rock they form in.

Maybe dragonstones and soulcrystals from whatever RPG you choose are made of solid magic, but TFC has diamonds, tourmalines, and jaspers - these are real things, that are made of atoms. Not pixie dust.

You could fake-up some stuff about the crystal structures resonating well with arcane energies or something.

This energy could be oozing out of hell, and affecting the TFC gems. :U

Or it could be minecraft and basic laws that make sense like animals won't blow themselves up if they see someone. Or that once your dead your dead or that nothing exists in a perfect square. If this game were to be perfectly realistic it would be boring as hell. I crave excitement not reality.

You could fake-up some stuff about the crystal structures resonating well with arcane energies or something.

This energy could be oozing out of hell, and affecting the TFC gems. :U

See now that would be at least acceptable. But this dude is saying in no uncertain terms that he wants all gems to be made completely out of solid magical energy, and to have always been that way.

Or it could be minecraft and basic laws that make sense like animals won't blow themselves up if they see someone. Or that once your dead your dead or that nothing exists in a perfect square. If this game were to be perfectly realistic it would be boring as hell. I crave excitement not reality.

Yeah, but you've got to flesh things out so that they seem coherent, you know? Creepers don't exist in real life, (and neither does magic, but there is tons of literature on the subject) so they're free to violate common sense as they please, and respawning, and voxels are an accepted part of the medium.

Anyway, if you dressed it up you could perfectly justify creeper behaviour in a bunch of colourful ways.

*post deleted by blue_photon (not being friendly and nice)

Yeah, but you've got to flesh things out so that they seem coherent, you know? Creepers don't exist in real life, (and neither does magic, but there is tons of literature on the subject) so they're free to violate common sense as they please, and respawning, and voxels are an accepted part of the medium.

Anyway, if you dressed it up you could perfectly justify creeper behaviour in a bunch of colourful ways.

Reality can be sacrificed. Believability cannot.

Stuff like this, I feel, breaks the willing suspension of disbelief

edit:

I feel like i am surrounded by intelligent people, and you are the black sheep of the group

I did not say that they were COMPLETELY made of magic, in a way, they are magic trapped inside a basic crystalline structure, and the type and amount inside is affected by the same variables that you mentioned.

And lumi, you seem trollish. (only on Mondays I presume?)

...Wow.

the gems that exist in TFC are ancient amounts of energy

That is what you said. That is a quote. You said the gems ARE ancient energy - not that they contain magic, which is what you just retconned your statement into, but that they are made of it.

People are not unintelligent or trolls because they disagree with you. If you have a head-spinningly bad idea that is called out, the person who does that is not out to get you, they just don't want to see this mod go in a bad direction. I don't care about whether I hurt your feelings or make you feel like the god king of space - my concern is only for the mod.

That is what you said. That is a quote. You said the gems ARE ancient energy - not that they contain magic, which is what you just retconned your statement into, but that they are made of it.

Ehem, excuse my misleading pre-previous post on how they were made, but notice, there's something strange about who is complaining about this, and i just can't put my finger on it.

(the -ish only counts on Mondays for me)

I feel like i am surrounded by intelligent people, and you are the black sheep of the group I did not say that they were COMPLETELY made of magic, in a way, they are magic trapped inside a basic crystalline structure, and the type and amount inside is affected by the same variables that you mentioned. And lumi, you seem trollish. (only on Mondays I presume?)

Hey, Eternal is a bit eccentric sometimes, but that's a good thing. He offers unique perspectives, and has some interesting insights. Instead of calling him stupid (If that is, in fact, what you're doing, your metaphor is slightly lost on me...) you could have just asserted your belief that not everything in the game needs to be justified. Or whatever. Geez.

As far as me seeming trollish, that's partly due to this being about gems and enchantment, and I'm a little worn on that subject. As a matter of fact, I was going to post a thread titled "Screw Enchantments," where I intended to suggest we scrap traditional enchantments entirely and move them all to more sensible areas of gameplay. For instance, speed enchantments could be replaced with sharpening, and durability ones with reforging. These could stack up to a certain limit, making it so that a given tool would become more valuable with enough care. Supernatural ones, like smite could be passed over to silvered daggers, and so on. Fire ones could be related to hell. (Forged from a mythical hell ore, or simply forged in hell?) I haven't given it a lot of thought, and those are just examples other people have gone over at length in other threads, so I didn't bother posting.

I'd just need to find something to do with gems so that they're useful for something besides glamming up your junk. :U

Oh, also, when I use :U that generally means I'm not taking myself serious because I think I sound ridiculous.

OK, so, SeanyGlass wanted me to put this in a new thread, so blame him if you get mad at this.

Now, This is about the enchantment system that I came up with mostly, It is built in a way that Bioxx can use his old code if he decides to use it and, it's balanced to the point where it is late-game, just like Vanilla Minecraft.

GUI

Posted Image

S'cuse me, it might be a little small.

Ok, the way it works is, you put your weapon in the top slot, your hammer in the Hammer Slot and your gem(s) in the Gem Slot. The slot above the gauge is where you can put your water buckets, but we'll get to that later.

OK, now the good stuff, like ENCHANTMENTS, i'm going to give a list of gems and what enchantments they give depending on their type/level

Ruby; Gives the 'Heat' enchantment; The heat enchantment makes a percent of your ores become nuggets, the nuggets stack to 64 instead of 8. Increases with level, goes to level 5. (Only on Picks)

Sapphire; Gives the 'Chill' enchantment; Turns a percentage of ore you mine into ore dust from extreme cold, The dust can stack to 64. Percentage increases with level, goes to level 5. (only on picks)

Topaz; Gives the 'Weight' enchantment; The weight enchantment Increases the power behind a bow. Goes up to level 5. (only on bows)

Tourmaline; Gives the 'void' enchantment; DESTROYS low-level materials (cobble/dirt) to increase efficiency. Goes to level 5. Higher levels increase boost, (all tools)

Agate; Gives the 'Flame' enchantment; Ignites enemies on hit. Goes to level 1. Lower-quality gems are harder to enchant with. (all weapons)

Amethyst; Gives the 'Crystallize' enchantment; Forms enemies into crystals on hit, when enemies are crystallized, they take reduced damage and eventually break out of it but are slowed drastically

Goes to level 1 Lower-quality gems are harder to enchant with. (all weapons)

Beryl; Gives the 'speed' enchantment; makes your attack speed faster or your move speed faster.

Buff increases with level. goes to level 5. (Weapons and Armour)

Diamond; Gives the 'regeneration' enchantment; makes your item regenerate it's durability slowly over time. Goes to level one. Difficulty is reduced with higher-tier gems. (all tools, armor, and weapons)

Emerald; Gives the 'terra' enchant; Makes your harvest have a chance to regrow or replant instantly. Chance goes up with level. Goes to level 5. (Scythes and axes)

Garnet; Gives the 'Vampire' enchantment; Makes you regenerate health when you kill an enemy, but lowers power when in daylight. (goes on all weapons)

Jade; Gives the 'Poison' enchantment; Poisons your enemies when they are struck, (note, zombies and skeletons take no poison damage)

Jasper; Gives the 'integrity' enchantment; Gives your item a chance to take no damage.

Goes to level 3. Chipped and Flawed give level one with respective difficulties. Normal and Flawless give level 2 with respective difficulties, and Exquisite gives level 3. (all tools, armor, and weapons)

Opal; Gives the 'Resistance' enchantment; Gives increased damage resistance, up to 5 hearts. Goes to level 5, reduction is greater per level. (all armor)

Ok, now that you know what each Gem's enchantment is and what it does, you may be wondering, 'Wow Blue, thats pretty nice, but how do we do it'

well this is how.

1 Place your weapon in the input slot in the center

Posted Image

2 Place your Gem in the slot

Posted Image

3 Place your hammer in the Hammer slot

Posted Image

4 Keep an eye on the heat bar and water bar, the water will save you from destruction if you accidentally melt your item from working it too much

Posted Image

This is the working interface, it works like a forge

Posted Image

This is the difficulty level, it always starts at one but goes up the easier it is.

Posted Image

See what i mean by it works like a forge, but instead of depleting heat, it generates it.

Posted Image

Now finally after you work your gems into your item by crafting it multiple times, your finished item will pop out here

Posted Image

Now you should know the basics, but now the cons.

If you work it too fast, your item will overheat and melt, the water can save some of it but it will lose a lot of it's durability.

If you take the item out of the enchanter before you finish it, it will break and not work before you fully enchant it.

most enchantments need to be done 3-4 times and each time requires another gem of the EXACT SAME TYPE, if you try to mix and match your item will also break.

Have fun guys, this is the end, If you like it, let Bioxx know so i can send him the source-GUI for him to use.

--Blue

Posted Image

I do had a different idea about how enchantment should be, but i would be comfortable with yours being added instead. I mean, if i had to choose between a random, risky system with multiple enchants by gems -basically, my idea- and these you wrote here, i wouldn't be sure of which of them choosing.

I simply have one doubt, why placing some -lots, if i understood- water in there would save part of the melted metal? wouldn't some ceramic molds be best for that?

Nobody has even addressed my questions yet so I'm saying them again. Whats the hammer for? How does the difficulty affect anything and why does the difficulty increase?

Nobody has even addressed my questions yet so I'm saying them again. Whats the hammer for? How does the difficulty affect anything and why does the difficulty increase?

The Hammer is so you can work the gems with latent magical properties into your tools/weapons/armor.

The difficulty increases for balance. (cmon, we don't want everyone to have an insanely easy time making shiz do we, and its so that grades of gems count.)

I simply have one doubt, why placing some -lots, if i understood- water in there would save part of the melted metal? wouldn't some ceramic molds be best for that?

Its not that it saves the metal, it saves the weapon, but damages it so much that it is almost useless from not cooling it enough, and more water would allow it to be cooled off quicker or better or something.

A hammer, on gems.

A hammer on gems.

I don't believe you hammer cables into computers, nor do you install glass by hammering it with a hammer.

Anyways, the difficulty should come form the amount of energy you are pumping into a gem/tool to active/encrust them.

I apologize my document that outlines my idea was postponed due to my research on metadata except the finished product as soon as I feel like it. Otherwise I would compare. But anyways, how does the process become more difficult.

Anyways, the difficulty should come form the amount of energy you are pumping into a gem/tool to active/encrust them.

*photonderp*

Revised thingies.

Essence in contained inside the gems is being smashed into the tool's working edge... lower grade gems are harder to find a perfect split point in. and thus are harder to enchant with.