Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
earthboundflyer

The Trades

9 posts in this topic

Have you read, understood, and followed all of the rules listed in large text at the top of the suggestions forum?(Yes/No):yes 
Answering "no" to the above question will result in your post being deleted.

I have always liked the idea of a Trade system for TFC. I loved the intricacy of Smithing in TFC1 and I wanted to make the effort to make a rough draft for multiple trades. I have ran across a reoccurring theme in the suggestions and discussion sections of the forum: Make TFC 2 re-playable. Nobody wants a game that is only fun to play once, and if trades are at least somewhat mutually exclusive, then this means that a player must replay the game to fully experience the entire game. The mutually exclusive aspect also lends itself to encourage multiplayer co-op, which seems to be a fairly common sentiment as well. So my suggestion is that maybe a player could play every trade in a single world, but he can only complete two or three at a time, but can only proceed to the next one once at least one sub-trade is fully completed.

Possibly one of the trades is predetermined (realistically, in the time period that TFC2 is shooting for, an individual was expected to take up his Father's trade) upon spawn. Each sub-trade shares the apprentice skills, but specializes once a player chooses a Sub-trade.

This is basically an assortment of aspects I've seen suggested on the forum, as well as some random things I would like to see as well. I have bullet pointed the perks of each trade; progression to the next perk is based off of an XP system, but because I am no coder, I'll leave the specifics of that to other people.

So without further ado, The Trades.

Preface: It is worth noting that I did not write this all at once, in fact this is quite piecemeal and I've found that my writing reflects my mood at the time. So the early part is quite sarcastic, however If a section seems sort of dry, it is probably that I was tired but wanted to get that idea down. I'll try and reinvigorate those sections if they come up.

Also, if a trade has a special clothing set, I suggest that when the player reaches a certain level, light armor could be overlayed on top of it; The exception being a smith, because they are freaking built, so they can wear whatever the heck that they want. 

Adventurer

Apprentice skills:

• leather boots (slight speed buff?) for long distance travels.
  • Knapsack
  • Hand cart (Biox mentioned this, but perhaps Adventurers have a slight buff in speed for carrying this?)
  • Saddlebag crafting
  • Horse-drawn cart?
  • use slings (AKA sling shots)

This Trade is made up of the subsets Ranger, Soldier, and Trader. 

Ranger

• Wild animal training (Dogs/boars trained to sic, sit, roll-over?/ RIDING BUFFALO [because who doesn't want to?])
  • Herb/mushroom cultivation
  • Natural cures/poultices ("Kingsfoil? Aye, that's a weed.")
  • Light armor (w/ fur lining? Or a cloak w/ hood)
  • Basic Nature magic, i.e. rune carving, magical horns, etc.
  • Use a sweet, Legolas-level, Carved bow
  • Gryphon/dragon Summoning/ riding
  • Full on Elven-status
  • unfortunate weakness to spiral arrows....

Gain extra XP by shooting an Archery butt.

Soldier (Knight, Mercenary, Samurai, As you please)

• Chain-mail and horse armor buff (Extra resistance B/c you are a Knight in shining armor)
  • Lance (for charging at crap with a pointy stick, that's what its for!)
  • Shield use
  • Castle Forged steel blade use (because when your sword is that sharp, you need a little experience so that you don't lop of something you'll need later.)
  • Metal armor overlay on chain mail
  • Falconry (because Ayrrn, that's why.)
  • Sweet Semi-custom banner/ Semi-custom Helmet design
  • Like a Ser achievement. (Ser _____ as the player ID)

Gain Extra XP by jousting or hitting a training dummy.

I ran a little short on this one, because I felt that it was getting a little too OP. Besides, everyone knows that knights are in it for the glory. Also, they don't get a flying mount because Knights seem to have a complex about dragons...

Trader

• Create Bigger boats (Biox made mention of this when he discussed teleportation, but i feel like this still needs to be a thing. Because no pirate looks swashbuckling at all with the dinky vanilla boats..) As in Leather coracles (wikipedia), or Viking long ships, with which a savvy entrepreneur could propagate trade.
  • Crates, (because solid junk in barrels is kind of wonky to me, crates are the only efficient way to move Valuable spices, and tools on said boats)
  • Pack animal train (think multiple horses in a row)
  • Create Portable Trader's stall (Multi-block structure W/ interface for trading)
  • Carriage
  • Fist-fighting buff, because the best traders are those who can enforce their bargains.
  • Vest. A top-tier dye-able armor that does nothing but hold your ingots (or money if coins are implemented???)

This one is sort of weak-sauce, any thoughts? I was going for Pirate-meets-Merchant but idk, maybe I'll scrap it.

Craftsman

Apprentice skills:

• Basic low-level smithery, up to Wrought-Iron
  • Basic Carpentry (including Planer, a tool that can 'finish' a chiseled block (stair or slab) and make said block harvestable)
  • water/animal-powered automation (*Cracks whip)
  • Working duds (Fire Resistance, falling block resistance, plus they make you look tough.)
  • war hammer/crossbow

The sub-trades include Tinkerer, Maester and Smithy.

Tinker

• Enhanced crossbow (repeating)
  • Tripwire (for tripping things....)
  • Tinkerer's Coveralls w/ extra pockets for tools, wires, etc, Extra fire resistance.
  • Water wheel, windmill, turbine/steam boiler
  • Wrench, for fitting together gears, pipes and the like. Plus, you can throw it in other people's plans.
  • Steam-powered Automatons (because who wouldn't want a two-ton robot as your slave? Programmable?)
  • Powder keg (for all of your explosives needs)
  • Catapult or Ballistae?
  • Removable Goggles added to players skin?

Limited to light armor.

Smith

• Leather Apron, for flux, tongs? hammer, ingots etc (it adds a certain 'rugged' air to the wearer)
  • Wrought-iron and up forging
  • Artesian Kiln
  • Advanced forge (higher temps, longer cooldown, but more fuel consumption)
  • Shoe horses (for a minor speed buff?)
  • Mount armor 
  • Forge and wield heavy Armor
  • Damage buff? (Buff dude= smackdown buff)
  • Sweet Beard skin addon (optional)
  • no longer overburdened by anvil carrying 

Maester

• Goldsmithing (because when you choose a metal for your studying instruments, you only choose the best)
  • Clock/compass
  • Pots and Jars for specimens and potions
  • potion brewing
  • Robes (resistance to potions, extra pockets for scientific crap) 
  • Microscope (for studying plants [or animal hair] to ID specific traits [Mendelian Breeding])
  • Telescope ( mainly for looks, unless your dark fortress is situated on a fiery volcano or epic mountain (that's where I'd put it), then you can see your foe coming, and rain fire on those fools!)
  • Advanced Gem-cutting

Speed debuff, and weakness penalties for wearing normal armor, because Nerds don't wear Football pads.

MAGIC TRADES

I really have no cohesive draft for this trade as of yet, however, I'll put down the random ideas I have about the magic trade here. Eventually, this will have a bunch of distinct trades, but for now, it is split into Gem, or earth magic, and Nature magic. Both branches are rune-centric, but vary

Nature magic

I've touched on this subject a little with the Ranger trade, but I feel that this sub-trade should be sort of like the Elves in LOTR. There has been a suggestion for an animistic sort of deal (similar to the Game of Thrones Northern Gods) and i feel that this could satisfy that suggestion without introducing religion. The power of this magic is by Engraving certain stones or sticks with runes (in a certain 'shrine' area, Weirwood grove, anyone?)

then affixing them to tools and things, thus making them enchanted.

Earth [:)] magic

This touches the whole 'Gem magic' vein of thought, previously suggested. It could center around finding, harvesting, and cultivating gems, cutting and engraving them (which ties in to Maester, who can cut the stones with more precision) then affixing the stones to tools, much like the nature magic stones. Also, I like the idea of mages of this discipline to have the ability to harvest ore blocks whole (like the silk touch ability in vanilla).

This next section is devoted to the more mundane stuff, like building and farming, because I know some people like that kind of stuff, and it deserves some thoughts too. At this point, these sub-suggestions are not trades ( as i cant think of a way to make them really attractive) because they would not be worth the XP. However, I want to work on these to make them full-on Trades eventually.

Farmer

• Rice paddies
  • Fish ponds
  • Grape trellises
  • Burlap Root bundles (for transporting berry bushes and fruit trees without drying them out; see "future of Burlap in TFC2")
  • Aqueducts
  • Butchery (suggestions forum)
  • Shepherd's (better lead)
  • Green house
  • Cross breeding (utilizing bees)
  • herb cultivation
  • Plowing (to refertilize the soil)
  • Gourds (to replace pumpkins)
  • Apiculture

Architect

Not really sure what to add to this one. I like the idea of having advanced building tools, but I'd like some feedback on this one.

As always, I appreciate your comments and feedback. Please post any thoughts, because this is the suggestion forum. I'll Update this as much as possible, but with school and everything it can get a little crazy. 

Until next time,

Earth

Edited by earthboundflyer

Nice idea - It works really well with the idea of multiplayer - but in single player it might get in the way.

If TFC2 is really going to concentrate on multiplayer then this looks to me to be ideal.

It looks like six basic trades, actually.   I assume this is done with a tech tree where the player selects the branches, utilizing levels apparently, and this allows them to use certain skills?    These are 'hard' separations of skills?    That is, if you haven't selected Forester, you cannot mine at all, since mining only appears under the forestry trade?  As ChunkHunter says, it seems like it would make single-player very difficult.  Personally I think I'd prefer a system with softer limits between the more minor crafts of the game.  I do love that automatons are in there though!

From the OP "4Any player can pursue the trade until the arrows are no longer filled in."

This means that mining *isn't* out for someone who's not a Forester.

The (white) arrows where there are crossbars require 2 (or possibly more) "tech updates" to transition.

Not completely in agreement that propick requires Forester skill but hey, I like the idea :)

My suggestion is:

1. Make the charts digital for freedom of manipulation (and maybe make it in Google Docs spreadsheet and approving edits)

2. Change Forester into Gatherer

3. Change Adventurer into Hunter

4. Change Carpenter & Mason into Crafter

.. then I'm all about supporting classification of trades.

Also, that's six class, not five.

I believe what the OP was saying was that there were five basic trades AND magic.

"3 The player may have two trades and one branch of magic"

Edited by ChunkHunter

I feel like this is well thought out, but I also agree that making it digital would allow for an easier interpretation of the tree. However my bigger issue with the tree is that with some of the tech trees, you don't have it all there. For instance, the carpenter tree doesn't have a bunch of stuff to hope for, and while it may be a vocation for the later stages of island occupations, it doesn't seem too desirable (especially because it only has one branch at the moment). Part of this though is due to rather unknown nature of a lot of the stuff in TFC2, and so developing a class system for a mod that we know very little about is quite difficult. 

Also, I'm kind of unclear on how you want the trades to work. Are you stating that each player can choose 2 different basic trades, and then fill up those tech trees for both of those trees? If so that is really cool, as that allows for a varied "work force," but still limits players so each player is different. However, I just wanted some clarification there, so I don't misinterpret that.

Other than that, I think your idea only has a few problems. As Miner239 points out, some of your trades and vocations could use a rename, as they don't fully encompass the trade. Also, it feels like some of your trades are pretty limited like the Carpenter, but this is again you developing an idea with very little background other than some information on advancement and and Metallurgy. But you do a good job of implementing the magic system into your grand system, and overall it seems like an interesting mechanic. Good Job. 

Edited by RemusSargin

I have just updated the OP, feel free to check out the new graphic and put your critiques below!

My criticism - and this is my personal opinion, what you have could work - I think the true trades should be more interesting.  Of Farmer, Smith, Forester, Carpenter,  Mason, and Adventurer, only adventurer sounds exciting.  The rest sound rather dull.   I don't think it's worth separating building into trades.   Because I think no matter what, people want to be able to build their own house.  They don't want to have to hire someone to do that.  So let everyone do the building stuff, and do it pretty well.   I would further allow anyone to do basically anything that we can currently do in TFC1, except the high tier smithing (up to tier 2 ok for everyone).  It's all mundane stuff, why limit it?   I'd separate magic into trades of their own, not branches of other trades.

I'd have fun-sounding trades such as fighter, alchemist, ranger, mage, and tinkerer.  Things that sound active and interesting.

FIGHTER

Fighter could have subsets of smith, warrior, and ranger.  Smiths are able to make the procedural metals, and enchantable weapons and armor They can wear heavier armor than a ranger, but lighter than a warrior, and use bucklers but not heavy shields.   Warrior will use all shields, get more hp per level, wear the heaviest armor, and have other combat benefits.   Ranger is archery focused, cannot use a shield (or buckler only), and is limited as to the armor they can use.  They perhaps have an alternate armor track that uses leather, hides, and shells of beasts.   The big bonus of rangers could be to train flying mounts.  Rangers and Anyone who has nothing in the smith trade, the highest they can work is bronze.  A warrior can work steel.  Nobody but a warrior or smith can use a shield.

Alternately, just fighter and ranger.  Fighter gets all the smithing benefits, plus melee benefits and heavy armor and shields.  Ranger gets natural armoring, but bow related benefits, and bucklers only.  But also flying mounts.

MAGE

Mage splits into Arcanist and druid.  Each being a rather different form of magic.  Mages perhaps focused on damaging spells and summoning of elementals, with no armor wearing ability (or penalties when wearing armor).  Druids focusing on buffs and healing (I would also like druids to have the sole ability to extract an ore block whole, allowing it to be used to build with!), and perhaps also being able to do flying mounts, but perhaps later than rangers, or not as well.  They share the ranger's natural armor specialty, but lower tier max.  Down the road, there could be further specializations, such as demonologist, and necromancer.

TINKERER

Tinkerer splits into alchemist or mechanic.   Alchemist would need to have distinct benefits vs the magic tiers.  I think focusing a lot on better torches for caving, and throwable potions and explosives, as well as a variety of chemicals to aid other trades.   Alchemists Can smith up to tier 4, but are limited to recipes involving reaction vessels, lamps, and generally cannot do weapons, armor, or tools above tier 2.

Tinkerer makes mechanisms, automata, repeating crossbows, elevators, steam engines, etc.  Tinkerer has access up through steel or better tiers, but perhaps does not have the option of producing weapons and armor, except special ones (mechanical gloves and boots of spider climbing anyone?).  This would probably be a later specialization, after being mid-way through alchemy.  So they'd have access to basic  fuels for their constructs via alchemy.  A true alchemist (chemist?) could make better fuels though.

My main point is, carpenter and mason sound boring.  I don't want to be the guy that spends his levels or whatever on those, and then here's the guy that spent point on fun combat related stuff.  I think all major trades should have fun aspects, including combat relevant stuff, that are exclusive to them, so that other players in different trades can look at them at be interested in pursuing that trade next time. 

That's not to say that trades can't have special benefits for mundane tasks, and maybe certain trades have benefits of speed/efficiency for specific mundane tasks.  Druids could have a variety of crop benefits.  Rangers animal breeding.  Tinkers a variety of labor saving potions and constructs.  But these kinds of things, I don't think are worthy of being the main thrust of the trade.  Moreover I think upper trade tiers should have things that benefit other trades, to encourage cooperation.  Make sure that each trade is doable in SSP, but have special cross-trade benefits for SMP. 

And then there's other minor trades like gem cutting, paper making, or glass blowing that can be intricate in their own right.  but may or may not be limited to a certain major trade track.  Alchemists would be logical to have glass blowing under them.  But I don't really see a reason to limit it to just them, necessarily.  Same with paper making and gem cutting for mages.  I think it's worth allowing someone to style themselves as more into utilitarian tasks, and allowing them to perform a variety of these things would maximize their usefulness in a community.  Because even in TFC2, I'm doubtful there'll be enough depth to agriculture for one person to do that and nothing else.

Basically, if we're doing progression tracks and gates like this (as opposed to more fluid stat related mechanics or something) I'd make it simpler.  Everyone can do basic stuff including armor and tools and weapons to tier 2 (or maybe tools to tier 4, but weapons and armor to tier 2 - dat mining grind).  Things like curing meat and training dogs I would consider basic stuff for everyone.  Beyond that, 1 trade, with the possibility to specialize further down a branch.  Simplify the chart so it's easier to understand: Here's your trade, here's the benefits.  Everything that's not under a trade is doable by everyone by implication (don't include it in your chart) though not necessarily as efficiently as someone with the right trade

Edited by Darmo